Browser wars (Andreessen, Marc battle with Microsoft)

A True story of Internet Explorer

Microsoft had been slow to recognize the growing importance of the Web, but by the mid-1990s gates had decided that the software giant had to have a comprehensive “Internet strategy.” In particular, the company had to win control of the browser market so users would not turn to “platform independent” software that could deliver not only information but applications, without requiring the use of Windows at all. microsoft responded by creating its own Web browser, called Internet Explorer. Although technical reviewers generally considered the microsoft product to be inferior to Netscape, it gradually improved. most significantly, Microsoft included Explorer with its new Windows 95 operating system. This “bundling” meant that PC makers and consumers had little interest in paying for Navigator when they already had a “free” browser from microsoft. In response to this move, Netscape and other microsoft competitors helped promote the antitrust case against microsoft that would result in 2001 in some of the company’s practices being declared an unlawful use of monopoly power.:sshhh:

Source :- Book-Encyclopedia of Computer Science

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, that's how they killed netscape. Microsoft's internet explorer is a real pain in the a$$ for all the web developers.

Most of the 'technical' community is on Firefox or Chrome or Opera; but average joe still uses IE because it's the default choice for browsing the internet.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Greetings guys I have a problem with a circuit I am working on, there on the schematic the op-amp has its inverting input pin open. The non-inverting input is connected...
[FONT="]I have a huge data of my college projects which I would like to store remotely. Can anyone suggest any online backup service which can take care of my precious...
hi, i am new to this site, can anybody tell me how to find someone related to my field, my field is computer science. can anybody tell me that why...
One of the most famous products by Thoughtworks - 'Mingle' now mingles with Google Wave. Mingle is an agile project management tool that now supports twitter like microblogging platform and...
i have studied B.E EEE, now i am joining an electrical construction company as fresher .so i require some assistance regarding commercial wiring, cable glanding,termination,ups installation, earthing. thank you in...