Brief explanation on working of petrol engine and a doubt in it

A brief introduction on the working of Petrol powered Internal combustion Engine.

A engine that operates by the help of Petrol as fuel is known as Gasoline engine. The gasoline cannot be ignited with the spark plug directly hence air is to be mixed with it in a proper proportion to get higher efficiency. To mix air and gasoline a device named Carburetor is used which help in mixing. Then the mixed air fuel mixture reaches Engine combustion chamber through Inlet valve/port. The petrol engine has usually four strokes and during the suction stroke the air is sucked inside and compressed during the compression stroke. During Compression stroke both valves will be closed. At the end of Compression stroke Spark plug ignites the air fuel mixture. The flame propagate through the mixture and combust all mixture. The next stroke is power/expansion stroke. As all you know that at the end of the combustion process the heat is produced and the heat is converted into work ( i.e. It forces the piston downwards which is connected to crankshaft through connecting rod)the reciprocating motion is converted into rotational movement by the help of piston. Connecting rod and crankshaft linkage. After the expansion process the piston moves upwards during the exhaust stroke. Due to pressure difference combusted waste will be forced through exhaust valve.

Note: Inlet valve size is greater than Exhaust valve (Because Large inlet valve helps in sucking large charge and small exhaust valve helps in pushing exhaust gas through exhaust valve).

My question was is there any alternative device which can be used in place of Carburetor in petrol powered Internal Combustion Engine? If any please name them so it help us to know the current and trending technology.

Replies

• Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Nowadays, carburetor is not used in most of the cars in fact petrol engines also use fuel injection which helps in better mixing of fuel with air resulting in better and effective combustion. Also it makes the intake system lighter.

Quoting @#-Link-Snipped-# :" Inlet valve size is greater than Exhaust valve (Because Large inlet valve helps in sucking large charge and small exhaust valve helps in pushing exhaust gas through exhaust valve)."

This information is a bit doubtful because the inlet valve dia. is an optimised one, neither too small nor too large. It is designed so as to effectively transfer air in to the chamber without increasing its temp and and the intake manifolds to create proper pressure differences for proper flow. The cylinder is also designed so as to create swirl inside the chamber.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My friend and I were discussing about the paper he had presented in a college changed into a argument and I really want to know the correct answer so that...
Hello CEans. As I have informed you all about my startup "Energy Labs" in the thread, I would like to inform you about our special initiative to portray your talents....
Hello guys, I have been busy lately as i have been learning making responsive designs, also UI/UX designing, css3 using its enhanced features, animations etc. Here goes my past 5...
This is one of the options I've been exercising in my mind for a long time. Most of the very regular users of CrazyEngineers have sometimes complained about quality of...
An articulated vehicle is vehicle which can be simply described as the vehicle with a trailer joint with a pivot.In India the road rule regulations had been created and it...