BRIDGES AND THEIR RESISTANCE TO EARTHQUAKES

Having a survey. Would really be glad if you answer. 😀
1.) Will the use of class A materials(steel, concrete, deformed bars, & cables) for making a bridge could withstand Earthquakes? Yes or No

2.) Will this type of bridge can withstand an intensity 7 or more earthquake? Yes or No

3.) Is the use of the rubber and the cable wires be effective in bridges as a support? Yes or No

Replies

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Bella Banfort
    Having a survey. Would really be glad if you answer. 😀
    1.) Will the use of class A materials(steel, concrete, deformed bars, & cables) for making a bridge could withstand Earthquakes? Yes or No

2.) Will this type of bridge can withstand an intensity 7 or more earthquake? Yes or No

3.) Is the use of the rubber and the cable wires be effective in bridges as a support? Yes or No
    It's very hard to answer your question in a single word. It's a great engineering knowledge is required to answer for such a question. Since you asked, here are my answers
    1) Yes, if ductile is less
    2) Yes, if perfectly designed
    3) Yes, It's depends on the size and strength of the steel tendons. don't.have knowledge about rubber.
  • Bella Banfort
    Bella Banfort
    thank you! 😀
  • Shweta vantamuri
    Shweta vantamuri
    As i referred some papers .. even after adopting pile foundations some bridges fail due to liquifaction.and design is according to code.Ex. are showa bridge it failed.
  • KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Shweta vantamuri
    As i referred some papers .. even after adopting pile foundations some bridges fail due to liquifaction.and design is according to code.Ex. are showa bridge it failed.
    As a structural engg, we have to follow the code of practice for our designs. It means there is no assure that we can control the nature & disaster. But we can predict that using the codes. There are many R&D's are done to create the code.
    Liquefaction is the property of the soil.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

DARPA or Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the research agency of United States' defense department is looking to develop electronics that would self-destruct. US already has control of what may...
The next biggest challenge for robotics enthusiasts and researchers is to make robots more human-like. Taking a step forward in the direction Dr. John Murray, from the Computer Science Department...
More than often on various social networking websites, especially on Twitter you encounter shortened URLs. Normally shortened URLs are a good thing but they are now being used to betray...
Regional smartphone manufacturer XOLO has listed its new smartphone, XOLO Q1100 on its website. The smartphone has not made its way to online retailers but we can speculate that it...
sir, I was very intrested to do m tech in IITs . so iam preparing for gate exam. But i want to know that " During preparation of gate we...