BreakFree App On Android Tells If You Should Look Up From Your Smartphone Once In A While

NA new app called 'BreakFree' on Android platform is here for those of us who don't exercise self-control at all and have become hopelessly addicted to their smartphones (and even tablets in some cases). Though most won't admit to it, but checking your smartphone to see the new SMS, missed calls, games and Whatsapp and Facebook Notifications every few minutes from the moment you wake up till you close your eyes at night, well, does categorize under 'smartphone addiction'. This problem has risen so much over the last few years that now there's a medical term for it and it's called Nomophobia. Worry not, because the BreakFree app is here to monitor you phone and app usage and to track the data about how addicted you are to your phone and apps. Its aim is to help you get rid of your smartphone every once in a while.

The BreakFree app features statistics and graphs as well as a friendly and engaging character called Sato who will help you and guide you on how you can control your phone's usage. The app will run in the background and study the usage pattern of your phone. It will warn you with notifications from time to time whenever you are off the limits. The app employs a highly advanced algorithm that calculates the addiction score in in real time and maintains a detailed history of your scores. Pretty cool stuff.

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 3.46.49 PM

Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 3.47.03 PM Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 3.47.13 PM Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 3.47.29 PM Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 3.47.39 PM

The app has various phone management tools such as internet disabling, rejecting phone calls and sending auto text messages - so that you can keep away from your smartphone as long as possible. So if you need some family time away from all the hustle-bustle, you can use this BreakFree app to schedule these tools to run between a preset period of time. Moreover, if you tend to use a certain app for a longer period of time than others, the Usage Stats feature will help you take an informed decision about where you should be putting a stop and to what. Another great feature for parents is to exercise some control on their young ones. The Parental Control feature lets you monitor your child's phone usage patterns and schedule hours he or she spends on the internet.

The brains behind this project - Mrigaen and Nupur Kapadia have developed this app at Mobifolio in their goal to convert ideas to app with passion and logic backed by research. BreakFree app is available for free download on SPACE: Break phone addiction, - Apps on Google Play and will soon arrive on iOS devices too.

What are your thoughts on smartphone addiction and the features of BreakFree app? Share with us in comments below.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    The public beta version of the app is good, the graphics seems to be impressive. however, I was just wondering that can there be a bigger irony that for checking the mobile's usage we are using a mobile app.

Probably, I will end up un-locking my phone 10 times just to check my phone usage 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This thread is open for discussion for anyone who have interest in discussion related Clang & GCC. Clang is replacement to GCC, so you might be thinking that argument syntax...
Hello I am a mechanical Engineer 2014... Passout .....I just wanna know that is TCS EIS(Engineering & Industrial Service)domain good for mechanical engineers .???.can a mechanical engineer stick to core...
Group of researchers from University of California , Riverside (Bourns College of Engineering) used a material found in Silly Putty and surgical tubing, for making lithium ion batteries that lasts...
Have you ever visited France, Spain, Japan, China, Korea or countries where English is not the primary language? You must have faced issues while reading sign-boards or restaurant menu. At-least,...
Are there job openings for Mechanical freshers...??