Birds & Wires Between Electric Poles.

I have always noted that, birds stand on the open-wire of the between two electric poles, but nothing happens to them. Even though very large amount of current is passing through the wire, birds are safe & they don't die.
What could be the reason behind that ?
Is it something related to their feet or it's related to electrical physics ?
Whatever it is, I would like to know the reason.

Replies

• a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    Until n Unless there is a potential difference, current doesn't flow. This is the reason. The birds standing on the electric line stay safe because they are on either of line. When they will touch the other line(wire)..definitely...The Final Destination..! This is just like a resistor kept hanging in the circuit without any termination.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The simple thing - there potential drop across the points at which the bird's feet are touching the wires is less than what it'd take for the current to overcome the resistance offered by the bird's body.
  • kashmirihasan
    kashmirihasan
    The potential drop between the two points is minimum ideally zero therefore birds dont feel any current passing through them. The current will pass through their body but nothing will happen to them.

There are two cases in which bird will get electrocuted
    first if one leg of the bird is at one phase and other leg is at other phase

second if one leg of bird is at one phase and other leg is touching ground.

Its not only the case with birds we as humans tend to feel absolutely nothing if we sit on single - phase. strictly speaking i have seen this in my country where people tend to work on live wires and absolutely nothing happens to them .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Found another good article on Opensource, would like to share : https://opensource.com/life/13/7/10-secrets-open-source-communities
LG has introduced pocket sized printer called LG PD233 in Indian markets with a price tag of Rs. 14,990. Those of you who love to have 'hard copies' of their...
Vu 4K TV has been launched in India with a bank-breaking price tag of Rs. 9,00,000. Considering that the rivals like Samsung have launched the 4K TV sets in India...
Before you panic and raise an alarm regarding this event, we can assure you there are no ill intensions involved in this process. Software hacking experts Charlie Miller and Chris...
Most of us know that Firewall can be piece of hardware or software.Firewall acts as shield which protects the computer.Hackers try to access server data by brute forcing SSH account,...