BIONIC PANCREAS

Biomedical engineers at Imperial College London designed an intelligent insulin pump
for diabetes patients. This bio-mimetic approach diverges from today's dominant method
of delivering only insulin using a relatively simple control system. In a small clinical trial
of 10 patients, they have been testing a device controlled by the microchip's cell models
at two London hospitals. The device will infuse both insulin and glucagon by following a
pattern that mimics the unique electrical characteristics of alpha and beta cells. The device
consists of an electrochemical glucose sensor that penetrates the skin, the microchip, and two
small pumps worn on the body, one for each hormone. Every 5 minutes, the sensor detects
the person's glucose level. If the sensor reports a high level of glucose, the silicon beta cell
generates a signal that drives a motor. The motor pushes a syringe, dispensing insulin into
the tissue beneath the skin until the glucose reading at the sensor drops and the beta cell goes
silent.

Replies

• anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    wow!! if this comes to implementation in INDIA we could prevent lot of health complications!!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One question I have is this what is the cost of this in India

India leads the world in Diabetes so the demand for this will rocket out will it not make it really costly
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    no matter how much ever it may cost.. we would surely purchase it for any cost because we r slowly turning heath conscious!!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    PS I am not diabetic sorry

And so I personally Don't need it
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    anything may happen anytime.. u may bcom diabetic or u may stay healthy.. who knows!!! 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Here's a video of Bionic Pancreas I found on youtube -

• nayanlekshmi
    nayanlekshmi
    I think it is not developed in India
  • Vassilya
    Vassilya
    This is amazing!! Not just specifically, but in terms of the imminent and widespread consequence across the medical field...it may be costly, but this type of effective and efficient cause-effect problem solving is very exciting, I think 😀
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    yes of course its expensive, we must create another version of this which will b easily affordable by every people. 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, the image college of arts animation and technology(ICAT) offers a 1 year full time PG diploma in GAME DEVELOPMENT and the course fee is around 2.5 LAKH approx they...
International Conference on Emerging Trends & Technology (ICETT) 2012 is organized by ACCENTS (Association of Computer Communication Education for National Triumph) at Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.The conference dates are 15th &...
Please suggest me best cellphone to me. I like :- Big Screen Touch Screen Excellent Music quality Good Internet service Good Battery Backup Range 10k to 13k I'm using samsung...
Here is a list of project ideas based on Computer Graphics (CG). Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as well as mega-projects....
"FORNYA 2012" a National Level Technical fest organized by Department of Production Engineering of Velammal Engineering College, Chennai, Tamil Nadu on 8th September, 2012. Workshops: National Level Workshops on 1....