Bing Search Engine Starts Loving Mobile Friendly, Responsive Web Sites

Mobile phones and tablets have taken over desktops and laptops as the primary devices to browse the Internet and access your favourite websites. The search engine giant, Google already announced that it'll be using 'mobile friendliness' as a ranking signal (with over 200 others) to list the websites in search results. Google's rival, Microsoft's Bing search engine too has announced that they have changed their approach towards mobile-friendly search. Bing will prefer ranking mobile friendly websites higher when search is performed from a mobile device.

In the official Our approach to mobile-friendly search | Webmaster Blog, Microsoft's Shyam Jayasankar informs that mobile searches continue to search ahead and the overall percentage of mobile based search queries is higher than ever before. The engineering team at Bing has been investigating various approaches to enhance the mobile search experience on Bing search engine. Going forward, Bing search results displayed on mobile device will now include 'Mobile-friendly' tag to inform the user that the website has been optimised for mobile viewing.

CrazyEngineers-Mobile-Friendly
CrazyEngineers.com tagged as 'Mobile-friendly' by Bing.com

Bing will also use mobile friendliness as a ranking signal, requiring the webmasters to make their websites easily viewable and usable on small screen devices. Jayasankar also lists various factors that determine the overall mobile friendliness of any website. These include a well placed site - navigation, readability of content, scrolling (horizontal scrolling is discouraged), compatibility of the content with the device (if your website shows videos, they better run on mobile devices) etc.

Microsoft Bing and Google's love towards mobile friendly websites clearly indicates at the trend the web is currently experiencing. If you are a webmaster responsible for a website - you should make your website responsive and accessible from smartphones and tablets.

What do our readers feel about this move?

Replies

• Ramu Andy
    Ramu Andy
    Not only bing, every search engine out there will start improving their algorithms to improve user experience. Google will roll out more new updates, right now I could see some sites that may be slow in load times are marked with a caution like symbol with yellow background with ! mark. So it is clear that more updates focusing on mobile friendliness will be rolled out soon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was wondering if there are any benefits of filling Nitrogen in car tyres over regular air. I'm totally aware that Nitrogen is already the major component of air, occupying...
Hello Friends I am planning to set up a home security alarm system for my house, Please suggest me one
hi kaustubh katdare this is chandrakanth(2014 passout, and ,my stream is instrumentation tech). I was very much interested in coding but the problem is with my stream backgroud. I did...
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) is in the process of commissioning a multipurpose, 'Made In India' RADAR that can track space debris. This multi-object tracking radar was introduced by M...
Although the 2014-15 season of Barclays English Premier League is about to come to an end for the Liverpool supporters, there is something new awaiting them. Lava's sub-brand XOLO has...