Best Way To Clean Computer Screen - 2023 Edition

Best Way To Clean Computer Screen - 2023 Edition

People love to 'touch' computer screens and I hate it the most when people use their own fingers as mouse pointers to attract attention to various spots on the screen. Now, the trouble with the most obvious way of cleaning the computer screen is that it leaves the marks on the screen.

I've recently tried cleaning my computer screen with the special cloth that I got with my new Crysal glasses 😁 ; and the results were better. So those who love experimenting, tell us what solutions / sprays / cleaning techniques you've used to get the best possible results?

Update: I thought I’d write my thoughts as an article.

Dear CEans, today, we'll look into the best way to clean your computer screen to ensure crystal-clear views every time.

Computer screens, much like window panes, are often made of specialized glass, carrying their unique cleaning needs.

So, let's break it down and learn how to clean your computer screen like a pro!

Understanding the Glass in Your Computer Screen

Computer screens usually employ sophisticated glass types.

If you have an Apple product like a MacBook Pro or an iMac, you're dealing with a glass-covered LED display.

Modern Windows laptops and monitors often feature an LCD screen with a plastic or glass covering.

High-end displays, such as those found on professional-grade monitors, employ a tempered glass front.

No matter the type, it's important to understand that each requires a gentle touch and specific cleaning techniques to avoid scratching or damaging the surface.

Choosing the Right Cleaning Materials

When it comes to cleaning your computer screen, the type of cloth you use makes a world of difference.

Always opt for a microfiber cloth, the same type often used for cleaning eyeglasses or camera lenses. Microfiber cloths are designed to attract dust and absorb oils without leaving lint or scratching the glass surface.

It's a go-to solution for keeping your computer screen spotless.

Avoid using paper towels, toilet paper, or abrasive cloths, as they can cause scratches and leave lint behind.

Deciding on the Perfect Cleaning Solution

One of the biggest myths out there is that you can use any liquid to clean your computer screen.

Unfortunately, that's not true. Many household cleaning solutions contain ammonia or alcohol, which can strip anti-reflective coatings off screens, leading to damage over time.

Instead, use distilled water for light cleaning. If your screen is particularly dirty, a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and white vinegar works well as a screen cleaning solution.

Alternatively, you can purchase a specialized screen cleaning solution, which is usually alcohol-free and safe to use.

The Right Technique for Cleaning Your Computer Screen

Once you've got the right tools, it's time to proceed with the cleaning process. Start by turning off your computer and unplugging it.

This allows you to see the dust and smudges more clearly and also keeps you safe.

Lightly dampen your microfiber cloth with your chosen cleaning solution - don't spray the liquid directly onto the screen.

Begin from the top of the screen and wipe gently in a circular motion, moving gradually to the bottom. Make sure not to press too hard or scrub, as it could damage the pixels underneath.

Once you've wiped the entire surface, use a dry section of the cloth to wipe off any remaining liquid. Allow the screen to air-dry completely before turning your computer back on.

Cleaning your computer screen isn't a herculean task. With the right tools - a soft microfiber cloth, a mild cleaning solution, and a gentle touch - your computer screen can be crystal clear in no time.

Remember, regular maintenance is the key to longevity. So, make this cleaning procedure part of your routine, and keep enjoying a clean, clear view of your digital world!

Keep your screens clear, and your pixels happy!

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think most of the engineers are lazy and don't bother cleaning up their screens until they find that it is entirely clogged up with dust. Same goes for keyboards. And the lack of replies here justifies that. πŸ˜› Correct me is I am wrong.

I use colin (spray) and a soft cloth. Just spray it across the screen and rub the whole surface once or twice. For keyboards, I use an old brush to clean the dust that settles inside the keys and then use colin over it too. πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Colin is good for keyboards, mouse and other computer peripherals. But I won't really use it on the screen. Leaves marks! Has anyone tried deo-spray on the screen? It should clean the screen more effectively than the colin spray which is your regular soap-water.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Here is what we should do-

1. Spray some colin on screen.
    2. Clean it with newspaper.- I know there will be some bits of paper clinging to the screen.
    3. Clean those with soft cloth.

P.S: I invented this method while I was experimenting with cleaning mirror. It is the best solution. However, the results might not be as excellent on a laptop as on a desktop. Try it πŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have tried it on my old laptop and can guarantee that it doesn't work. There are few screen cleaning products available in the market that give excellent results. Not sure what the liquid spray they provide is made up of; anyone knows?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Deo-spray on soft tissue paper and clean the screen and colin on keyboard with soft cloth Its work best for me.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I do not trust the liquid provided by the laptop cleaners available in the market. I agree every inch of what Ankita mentioned; have never cleaned it unless it was absolutely necessary to do so. My spectacles too suffer the same fate πŸ˜› .

I once read at Benq's support page that using liquid cleaning agents tend to create air bubbles inside the LCD screen and they void the warranty and so I stopped spraying any liquid on screen, be it water or Colin. Check out this link and scroll to the middle of the page #-Link-Snipped-#

NEVER spray any liquid on screen and then proceed by wiping it up. The best way to clean is to use a good lint free cloth and good old water. Just sprinkle some water to get the cloth moist enough (and not wet!) and wipe off the screen.

For keyboards, if its a desktop keyboard then feel free to abuse it as you wish, else for the notebooks, follow the same procedure as mentioned above.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i clean the screen with 'officeworks' cleaning agent. I generally remove the keys out of keyboard and wipe the keyboard with dry cloth. I am too paranoid to use liquid agents on keyboard.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Not convinced. How'd spraying Colin on screen make bubbles appear inside the screen?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    My keyboard is kept inside a thin poly wrap bag. I just throw this nd put a new one when needed. The face wipes (IsoPropyl alcohol/water given by airlines tkaes care of the monitor.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    I use rubbing alcohol on the glossies I own, but matte screens are sure a pain. The dust accumulates in annoying swirling patterns, and on white backgrounds it provides ample data on fluid flow during the screen cleaning process. I still have no cure for this one, but a microfiber cloth with rubbing alcohol seemed to leave finer, almost non-discernible patterns.

So I suggest that you enjoy the modern artwork and leave the screen alone as long as termites don't start roosting in the dirt.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    It is not that spraying liquid on screen causes problem. Just that in cased the liquid flows down into the edges, it may create problem as the BenQ support page for lcd monitors says. See below.
    [​IMG]

I cant say for sure if this really happens or not. Can't take that risk. A 14" laptop screen alone costs INR 4500 and if the inverter too has gone kaput then expect double the price. For my 22" desktop at home, I cant risk it again because it will again cost me a lot to replace the unit.
    "Prevention is better than cure" for me πŸ˜€

I tried using deodorant as you mentioned but it didn't work too good for my matte screen. My other CRT looked better though.

Try using a soft lint free cloth such as muslin for best results. Water or Colin doesn't matter.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Haven't experienced this but I think we'd just not use spray on the screens.
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    Well, there is another way: cover a transparent film over the screen. Then you can change for another one if it's too dirty or damaged. A lazy way!πŸ˜‰
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    #-Link-Snipped-# I used that when I had a new laptop 5 years ago. Then a senior in my college suggested me to remove the transparent screen guard and I did see what he meant. Using sheets just spoil the visual experience that the naked lcd screens otherwise provide.

I find people keeping their stuffs wrapped up in plastic and I find it funny. Everything in this world goes through wear and tear, it is okay to keep them safe from scratches and all but what is the point if u cannot enjoy the beauty. My uncle uses an iPhone 4 all covered up in all sorts of wraps he could think of just cos the phone is costly and he wants to keep it safe. To me, it just "looks" like any other phone bandaged around with those guards and covers. The beauty of iPhone is its killing looks, if you keep that aspect hidden, half the worth is already lost! It is like I tell everyone I see doing it (baring my uncle of course πŸ˜› ), that it is like owning a beautiful wife but keeping her veiled 24 hours and being a fool yourself πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰
  • Vivien.hugo
    Vivien.hugo
    optimystix
    #-Link-Snipped-# I used that when I had a new laptop 5 years ago. Then a senior in my college suggested me to remove the transparent screen guard and I did see what he meant. Using sheets just spoil the visual experience that the naked lcd screens otherwise provide.

I find people keeping their stuffs wrapped up in plastic and I find it funny. Everything in this world goes through wear and tear, it is okay to keep them safe from scratches and all but what is the point if u cannot enjoy the beauty. My uncle uses an iPhone 4 all covered up in all sorts of wraps he could think of just cos the phone is costly and he wants to keep it safe. To me, it just "looks" like any other phone bandaged around with those guards and covers. The beauty of iPhone is its killing looks, if you keep that aspect hidden, half the worth is already lost! It is like I tell everyone I see doing it (baring my uncle of course πŸ˜› ), that it is like owning a beautiful wife but keeping her veiled 24 hours and being a fool yourself πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰
    Hi, you are right! I also like to wrap my new phone with transparent film, but will remove it after several month later. I do this because its new, but after a few month is not. I know this habit is not good, but I like to do in this way.πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I tried a few things and found out what works the best. And it is your good ol' water! Yeah!

I wanted to clean my Mac screen and I tried a number of things. But everything would leave marks on the screen one or the other way. Finally, I used a wet lint-free cloth (asked for one from Crysal at the eyeglasses store) and cleaned the screen with it, then with the a dry lint-free cloth wiped off the screen. Trust me, it's as good as the original now!

Get a lint-free cloth from eye glasses shop near you and clean your precious computer screen with it. It just works!
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    AbraKaDabra
    I think most of the engineers are lazy and don't bother cleaning up their screens until they find that it is entirely clogged up with dust. Same goes for keyboards. And the lack of replies here justifies that. πŸ˜› Correct me is I am wrong.

I use colin (spray) and a soft cloth. Just spray it across the screen and rub the whole surface once or twice. For keyboards, I use an old brush to clean the dust that settles inside the keys and then use colin over it too. πŸ˜€
    LOL! This is very true. My friends clean my monitor more than I do. 😘
    Generally a quick wipe of dry cotton cloth does my work.
  • himalayan
    himalayan
    Cleaning the dust from computer screen or from keyboard is my daily routine and I use a wet soft cloth to look clean as new.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I used H2O2 and cotton the doctors way of cleaning the would, and it worked well. I just did it twice I dont know much about how it reacts though!
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    "Did you know that every 30 days it is necessary to clean the computer screen from the inside? Many people ignore this fact and do not know how. Manufacturers take advantage of this ignorance to increase their sales"- My office colleague shared this utility to clean the screen from the inside. To check how to, just click this link:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Shailaja Tiwari
    Shailaja Tiwari
    I clean my computer screen with colin spray and tissue paper and clean keyboard using either a soft -brissled toothbrush or godrej's dye brushπŸ˜€rofl: unused one )πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Rage characters from Dan's Awesome RageMaker: https://ragemaker.net/
Dr. Vijay Bhatkar, one of the pioneers of Indian IT and the engineer who developed India's first supercomputer has been chosen to be the Director of the Indian Institute Of...
With the fuel prices skyrocketing every day in India, the price cautious Indians are panicking. That brings us to the question; which is the tested and proven car in India...
​July 2012 has five each Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Happens once in 823 years. So What? Nothing. Just a curiosity. ​
I know I can definitely buy a mobile phone online but I still have my own doubts about shopping for shirts, trousers, t-shirts online. The same goes with shoes and...