Best sources for learning Servlets and JSP?

Suggest some good sources. Most of them contains 10-12 web pages and tutorial is over. Are there any serious websites where i can learn the concept like we find in core java. Or some good reference book.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Have you tried the tutorials uploaded by Java Brains on YouTube?
    Here is a link: Java Brains - YouTube

You can also check the Richard G Baldwin Programming Tutorials.
    Here: www.dickbaldwin.com

If you need a hard copy, check the most-used book:
    Head first Servlet & JSP by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates
    You already know where to find that.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Actually i am well aware of the above materials you posted. I don't like head first series. It's just a big book making things complicated with jokes and all.
    Javabrains has awful quality audio still it helped me a little.
    I am struggling with advance java. If you know any quality sources please post.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'll tell you from my own experience of learning a programming language. You need to start with a small project and learn on the go as you face issues. Just have some help handy in the form of books and forums. I've written an article on it, I hope you will find it useful: What is the best way to learn programming?
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    From employment point of view what kind of projects do companies look for?
  • sookie
    sookie
    Deadman
    From employment point of view what kind of projects do companies look for?
    Companies don't write Servlets explicitly like the one you will read from tutorials/books e.g.
    MyServlet extend HttpServlet
    instead they use frameworks(e.g. Spring MVC, Struts -commonly used) which have Servlets implementation. So I would suggest read servlets concept. How they work? Why we need Servlets ? Life without a servlet? How multi-threading happens? Pick up any of those frameworks and study them how servlets are actually implemented inside.
    About JSPs, learn just basics, JSP is now getting old. Many good client side frameworks like angular.js, backbone.js are gaining more popularity. Learn them and they are amazing and in demand.
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    sookie
    Companies don't write Servlets explicitly like the one you will read from tutorials/books e.g.
    MyServlet extend HttpServlet
    instead they use frameworks(e.g. Spring MVC, Struts -commonly used) which have Servlets implementation. So I would suggest read servlets concept. How they work? Why we need Servlets ? Life without a servlet? How multi-threading happens? Pick up any of those frameworks and study them how servlets are actually implemented inside.
    About JSPs, learn just basics, JSP is now getting old. Many good client side frameworks like angular.js, backbone.js are gaining more popularity. Learn them and they are amazing and in demand.
    I am curious to know the role of a developer during the initial stages. What kind of work is assigned?
  • Deadman
    Deadman
    Anyone here? What kind of software, web apps do this tcs, wipro make/outsource. I am not able to get this simple answer through google. Is it a secret? Why aren't there any direct answers.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Following the quote from from Oracle docs: Java EE Components (The Java EE 5 Tutorial)

The Java EE specification defines the following Java EE components:

• Application clients and applets are components that run on the client.

• Java Servlet, JavaServer Faces, and JavaServer PagesTM (JSPTM) technology components are web components that run on the server.

• Enterprise JavaBeansTM (EJBTM) components (enterprise beans) are business components that run on the server.
    If you are going to learn/work on advance java. You should know the basics of Servlet (Core of Java EE to handle web request.).

Deadman
    What kind of software, web apps do this tcs, wipro make/outsource
    Servlet is core technology and using this as it will be like building things from very small level. These kind of projects are mostly lagacy. Now companies are using various Java EE based frameworks like Spring, Hibernate and Struts.
    Instead of plain javascript/HTML/JSP, they are using Node Js, Angular Js, JQuery and tones of out there.
    Confused???, learn old technology or jump to latest frameworks.
    Answer is BIG NO. You got to learn basics first how the things works on very low level. You may not be working on any big project but try to build a small project on Servlet+JSP+Plain JavaScript. This will build very low level of understanding how exactly a web-based project works.
    After this, leaning any framework will be cakewalk. You can easily jump from one framework to another.
    This is the reason you should learn the Servelts/JSP/HTML/Plain JavaScript.

How to learn:
    1. Get any book you like or follow the course like Servlets Tutorial
    2. Start working on any mini project
    3. Get Good IDE, try Intellij Idea.
    4. Search you doubts on google "stackoverflow " and implement.
    5. Dig into core code. Ex. Explore String.java, Integer.java.
    6. Learned basics?? jump to fameworks like Jquery, JodeJs, Struts
    7. Goto step 1. Repeat.☕

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

*Note: Not necessary to answer all the question. even one answer is highly appreciated. Hi guys, I am currently seeking a correct approach of getting the reaction force developed on...
Hello, Need a piece of advise on career. I'm a BE (ECE) 2012 graduate and have worked as a Technical Support Engineer for Printers & Scanners team in MNC for...
Microsoft engineers are working on making their search app 'Bing' faster and better. A couple of days back, they released the Bing for iPhone app (version 6.0) on the Apple...
China's next-gen heavy lift launch system called 'Long March 5' is currently under testing at the CALT, short for China Academy Launch Vehicle Technology. The powerful space rocket is also...
Hello sir/ma'am, This is Arha ,I have completed my mtech first year in structural engineering ,now need to head towards the project ,so kindly suggest me a project which help...