Best Profile For Fresher In IT Industry

I am an ECE graduate not from any IIT or NIT and still seeking for a job in IT industry. I need your suggestion regarding the job profile for which I should go for as I am neither a Code hater nor a intenser lover thats why I am confused with my career.
Please tell that can a average student grow in future as a Software Developer or its not the time to learn now.
Else I am thinking to prepare for Govt Exams like Banking PO etc although I am interested in working in private MNC

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, @#-Link-Snipped-#. Given the choices of career you're considering, I believe the first thing you should do is narrow down on what you really like to do in your career. 'Working in private MNC' may be an outcome of you doing your favorite job. Ultimately, these MNCs may not turn out to be as appealing to you as they are for the outsiders. That's the reason, it's always advised to first narrow down to the kind of job you'd be most interested in.

We do not know whether you have any prior work experience or a fresh graduate (2013). Since you are very neutral about choice of technology; it won't matter which IT domain you get a job into. So I'd recommend beginning by trying your best to get a job into a software company. There are several ways to do that. Update your resume in all the popular job portals and subscribe to feeds that inform you about the walk-ins, fresher interview drives etc.

One of the best ways, I'd personally recommend, is find a job with a medium sized (~50-100 employee) company or a startup that is willing to recruit you based on your current skill set. Once you get an entry and work on real life projects for about 2 years, your entry into 'MNC' will be easier. Companies typically want to recruit candidates who have already worked on projects than train a fresh graduate.

If your college offers campus placements, I'd strongly recommend making sure that you're very good at aptitude tests, technical interviews and HR interviews as well. You may read all the tips and tricks available in this section and in our downloads section.

PS: It pays to be excellent in a technology or a domain or a programming language if you want to make a career in IT; if campus placements isn't an option for you.
  • Piyush Virmani
    Piyush Virmani
    thanks for you reply. Sorry I missed some details anyways I am a fresher (2013) and thinking to join CDAC so that I can learn some languages . But I am confused too that whether I will be able to survive in the IT industry or not . As I have just heard that job of Software Developer is nice in terms of salary but it is stressful too because of changing technologies. I dont want to spend my whole life in a company where I feel like a dumb and not able to progress. That's why sometimes I think that I should go for Govt jobs although the salary would be limited but nobody can expel me but at the same time I feel like I deserve something better than this Banking job so I am unable to decide what should I choose. Sometimes I feel that job security and peace matters most on the other hand my heart says go for a standard , work in a MNC . This dilemma is wasting my precious time.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Piyush Virmani
    thanks for you reply. Sorry I missed some details anyways I am a fresher (2013) and thinking to join CDAC so that I can learn some languages . But I am confused too that whether I will be able to survive in the IT industry or not . As I have just heard that job of Software Developer is nice in terms of salary but it is stressful too because of changing technologies. I dont want to spend my whole life in a company where I feel like a dumb and not able to progress. That's why sometimes I think that I should go for Govt jobs although the salary would be limited but nobody can expel me but at the same time I feel like I deserve something better than this Banking job so I am unable to decide what should I choose. Sometimes I feel that job security and peace matters most on the other hand my heart says go for a standard , work in a MNC . This dilemma is wasting my precious time.

Hey Piyush. the entire paragraph implies that you are totally messed up multiple options available for you. One Suggestion! Just calm down and think what you really want i.e your area of interest. DO NOT think about PROS & CONS of any industry. Neither think about extreme future. this is just the beginning & this is the time when should take step in your favorite area . don't bother about the changing environs of s/w industry or anything. your field of interest will definitely take you to new heights. ALL THE BEST ! 😀
  • Piyush Virmani
    Piyush Virmani
    Thanks Vikram for your reply. I am not a prorgramming lover so do you think can I survive in the field of Software Developing. Yes , I am messed up thats why seeking for guidance. Is IT field so stressful that most people wanna quit irrespective of high salary packages?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Piyush Virmani
    Is IT field so stressful that most people wanna quit irrespective of high salary packages?
    I see this concern growing among those who're looking to enter the IT field. IT field itself isn't so stressful. Stress is basically people's reaction to any situation. If you are asked to follow a deadline and the task you are doing is tough one; you're bound to get stressed. The best part is that - it's all under your control and stress can come in any form - no matter what job you are in.

People who quit IT don't usually do it because they got 'stressed'. In fact, people have interesting reasons to quit. Most of the times, it's because they've found better opportunities in other domains or for studies. I'm yet to see a person who's quit his / her IT job because it's so stressful.

Secondly, 'high salary packages' is a relative term. IT engineers aren't paid 'more'. In fact, the core jobs are offering better packages than IT. So first decide where your interests lie and make a career in that field. If you are good at your job; you will be able to command a better salary than your peers.
  • Piyush Virmani
    Piyush Virmani
    I wanted to ask that a student having no knowledge of programming language can enter in this IT field. As I have heard that it doesn't matter you know or not , you are going to learn in training whatever company wants you to know.
    Cognizant is calling me for interview for the post of Program Analyst Trainee and I even dont know C++ and Java. So should I go there ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Never miss a chance to get offer. You always have choice after getting offer.
    Which path you go Programmer, Tester, Business analyst all this things are mostly decided after 1 year of experience.
    That time you actually know where you gonna fit it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you applied to Cognizant and they've called you for an interview, you should attend. I'm sure they've reviewed your resume and are aware that you don't know C++ and Java.

You should go prepared with whatever you mentioned in your resume and your engineering knowledge.
  • Piyush Virmani
    Piyush Virmani
    Actually I am from Haryana and they are calling me to Bangalore and it is very far from here and moreover I am having the CDAC entrance exam on 15dec ..things are getting complex day by day and I am unable to decide which life to choose
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Piyush Virmani
    Actually I am from Haryana and they are calling me to Bangalore and it is very far from here and moreover I am having the CDAC entrance exam on 15dec ..things are getting complex day by day and I am unable to decide which life to choose[/quot
    When's your interview schedule?
  • Piyush Virmani
    Piyush Virmani
    Its not confirmed yet. Most probably it will be on 15dec but on the same date I am having a exam in Delhi so I can choose one thing only
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Now the decision is your's . CDAC Vs CTS.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Piyush Virmani
    Its not confirmed yet. Most probably it will be on 15dec but on the same date I am having a exam in Delhi so I can choose one thing only
    Reading all your posts in this thread, I'd strongly recommend determining your field of interest. That'd make all your decisions super easy.

Why not drop a mail to CTS and ask them if you can get a later date?
  • Piyush Virmani
    Piyush Virmani
    #-Link-Snipped-# may i know what you are doing ?
    As what I am seeing is that you have done engineering in IT discipline so what are you upto now?
    Do you know how is CTS in terms of growth , salary and workload?
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Piyush Virmani
    #-Link-Snipped-# may i know what you are doing ?
    As what I am seeing is that you have done engineering in IT discipline so what are you upto now?
    Do you know how is CTS in terms of growth , salary and workload?
    M working for a leading manufacturing industry as an IT Consultant .
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    FYI - Python and ruby-on-rails are seeing increasing demand in IT industry. If you can, get ready with these skills.
  • VIJAYSY
    VIJAYSY
    Hello everyone,
    I am 3rd year computer science student, I am placed in Akamai and my job profile is Technical Solutions Engineer Associate with package 6.28 lpy.
    But few people are telling that job profile in not good so try for other companies and some people are telling that company and package is good. I don't know what to do, and I am intrusted in coding.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google has managed to patent a system that will auto generate responses for your social network interactions. The system will learn the user’s behaviour by studying his/her day to day...
Twitter, the leading social interaction platform, has officially announced that it has made its encryption system more secure and has thus safeguarded all the Twitter users from snooping attacks. Just...
Can you help me compare these results? They're the simulations of a control system. When we change the poles, (in this case, there are 4 poles), the response system also...
I was earlier today discussing with a friend about the general trend followed by students in engineering colleges in India when they are in final year or final semester. They...
POINTERS AND MEMORY.pdf A great guide to pointers and memory!