Best operating system?

What is your opinion about the best operating system for desktop/laptops ?

Basis of your opinion should be on following parameters

Reliability
Scalability
Ease to use
Easy to administer
Security

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Don't you think each operating system is specifically designed for some special purpose. For example, Windows focuses on home user with average computer skills. Wherein, a network administrator would die for Linux based OS.

Those who want 'fancy' stuff (IMHO) go with the Mac.

I can even predict the outcome of this poll - max. people are going to vote for Red Hat. However, from a regular, home user's point of view - I vote for Windows Vista (Now, how many enemies do I have? ๐Ÿ˜ )
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Indeed, it does depend on the purpose. Heck, even the Solaris OS is worth a look.

I'd love to see people's opinions, even though I predict some sort of linux distro will be common.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    The_Big_K
    I vote for Windows Vista (Now, how many enemies do I have? ๐Ÿ˜ )
    enemies++; ๐Ÿ˜€

It's really depends on your needs, everyone has special features for variety of uses, like for me personally (I'm not a PC gamer):

- Ubuntu : less virii, stability, free, WINE reduces my visits to Windows.

- Windows XP : Sony Vegas, Adobe After Effects.

- Windows Vista : CD/DVD drive usage some cool features ๐Ÿ˜ (like deleting files from a CD-R)

- Mac OS : feel home! You don't find everything in your home but it's comfortable anyway ๐Ÿ˜€ vote.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I use XP sadly, however I vote for linux and mac. Vista is horrible and I don't like any microsoft products.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    I use XP, but I do a lot of graphic design, so when it comes down to that, I use my iMac! That's originally what they were generally made for. My dad is self employed, and he does graphic designing with his iMac (we have two older models with OS X installed). He creates adds for the local news paper, and he makes decent money.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I am using the Hardy Edition of Linux i.e. Ubuntu 8.04. It is a nice OS, better than the XP, only problem some of the softwares I am used to on XP don't work.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Windows 2000 + XP are quite robust Microsoft OS's compared to Win 98 and Vista. Scheduled updates, virus scans and defragmenting, are enough to keep it running well. This is quite enough for a variety of uses, from beginner to advanced.

At the moment, most Linux distro's are suited towards advanced users. They are still not 'problem free' out of the box, but the community support make its up for that. Customization is also a big factor for migrating to Linux.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Just an observation]

No votes for Red Hat? Oh come on guys, you don't want to prove me wrong ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • kedarjk
    kedarjk
    I think XP rocks in all manners... ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    [Just an observation]

No votes for Red Hat? Oh come on guys, you don't want to prove me wrong ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Biggie, why are you specifying Red Hat? ๐Ÿ˜› Do you mean the commercial version?

There are so many Linux distros out there. I believe the three major free distro's that have large sponsors is Fedora (Red Hat), Ubuntu (Canonical) and openSUSE (Novell).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Biggie, why are you specifying Red Hat? ๐Ÿ˜› Do you mean the commercial version?

There are so many Linux distros out there. I believe the three major free distro's that have large sponsors is Fedora (Red Hat), Ubuntu (Canonical) and openSUSE (Novell).
    Ideally, Ubuntu should be there. But we don't have that option. I wonder still don't have any vote for it.

I like Ubuntu a lot. Its very good. Especially with that beryl thing { #-Link-Snipped-# } which CEan Xero introduced me to, uBuntu totally rocks!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Lol, Beryl is a chocolate company in Malaysia ๐Ÿ˜› Argh, I'm craving for it so much ๐Ÿ˜”

Thats pretty cool stuff. openSUSE has some of those windows switching effects by default too. My fav is the cube rotation one ๐Ÿ˜›
  • devesh
    devesh
    Well, XP is the best operating system as it is compatible with most of the software applications.If you are using Internet(wired or wireless),then i think XP gives the flexibilty and is easy to connect.
    For Home users XP is much much easier to underdstand and usable.
    I can also give a concern to MAC as the wireless compatibilty is THE BEST in MAC.you will not encounter any problem with your wireless connections.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    The_Big_K
    Ideally, Ubuntu should be there. But we don't have that option. I wonder still don't have any vote for it.

I like Ubuntu a lot. Its very good. Especially with that beryl thing { #-Link-Snipped-# } which CEan Xero introduced me to, uBuntu totally rocks!
    Here I am for RH..

Enemies++; :smile: (Vista)

Nothing cooler then Linux for me, where I can look into every file of my kernel.

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    I would go with Windows 2000 professional. I have used XP and vista too... but didn't find it impressive. Not tried ubuntu though.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Ubuntu, straight up. Combine it with Wine and Crossover ... no need for XP ๐Ÿ˜€

If I have to pick a windows edition, its WinXP.

PS - The other has my vote.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hey m using Plan 9,its super cool,Mac OS is good too,and Windows 98,XP has been I have lived into...I can switch to MS DOS anytime
  • gane
    gane
    i think for security purposes we can go with Red hat.. and it is opensource tooo ....... but for the PC(home) windows products are gently suitable and reliable ........
    i think you all agree with this...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The_Big_K
    I can even predict the outcome of this poll - max. people are going to vote for Red Hat. However, from a regular, home user's point of view - I vote for Windows Vista (Now, how many enemies do I have? ๐Ÿ˜ )
    Why do my predictions always go wrong ๐Ÿ˜• !

We've only 1 vote for RedHat and 6 votes for WinXP! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Ubuntu should be an option!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I am downloading Fedora 9 now. Going to install in on a spare laptop!

I hope I have a seamless set up compared to openSUSE ๐Ÿ˜›
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well its one more flavour of LINUX and viruses in linux is increasing day by day
  • night crawler
    night crawler
    well xp is the best among ms os , havent tried any linux though. vista is a loser.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    buddy,vista is one of the highly protected OS available today
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've been using Vista for over 1.5 years and its doing a good job on my lappy. I haven't had any virus attacks so far.
  • Itanium
    Itanium
    love Linux (particularly) RedHat !
  • bayazidahmed
    bayazidahmed
    In my reading,

Reliability: Mac/Linux, Vista, XP (All are pretty close)
    Scalability: XP (All the others lag far behind)
    Ease to use: Vista, XP, Mac, Linux
    Easy to administer: Windows XP, Vista/Mac, Linux (Huge difference between them)
    Security: Vista/Mac/Linux, XP

Overall for an average user: Vista
  • Rakesh Nayak
    Rakesh Nayak
    XP is the best operating system why?
    1.Any operating system you need speed first.No one can have
    better speed then xp.
    2.versitility-you need to have an os which can run most of the softwares.XP
    beats others in this aspect.
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    Windows XP rocks. The stability, the ease of operation, the looks, the performance, the COMPATIBILITY (vista fails to perform here), The speed to boot up and shut down, speed to read a CD(Vista fails to perform here too) ...this can only be found at Windows XP..no where else.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    What you say about windows ME?
  • krishniha
    krishniha
    Old Is Gold

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What will be best branch of technology from 6-10 years from today ? Imagine that you have to recommend this to for some in 10th today. I am not sure...
i am a computer science engineer who ll b passin out in 2009. i wanna establish my career in microprocessors. is my engineering degree enough for that or do i...
[Article cross posted from here : Know your CEan raj87verma88] CEans, Continuing our tradition of bringing you more about our own CEans, we bring you our editor CEan - raj87verma88...
Can any one here help me in making a mini project in remote control bulb to switch on and off it from a ddistance of 10m by a light signal...
The things that you will need to use your phone as a spying device ( as a listening bug ) are: A Mobile Phone A headset which works with that...