Best fonts for programming / coding?

I'm sure all the coders here must be using some advance text editor to type and edit your code. I figured out that the font makes a huge difference when you are going through the code that spans several hundreds of lines of code. I'd love to know what are your font choices to make your code look great?

I personally am a fan of Fira (FIRA MONO). It just makes the code look super great. What about you?

Replies

• avii
    avii
    'font' doesn't make code 'look great'

I use Consolas
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    avii
    I knew someone would say that. +1 for Consolas.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    lucida console
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    When I started coding I used to like "Courier New" but now don't have any personal choice
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It doesn't hurt to use a good font. Makes the task of long hours of debugging easier on the eyes. I use bigger font sizes than normal.
    You guys should try the font 'Monaco' too and see if it suits your preferences.
  • ManojKiran Eda
    ManojKiran Eda
    I personally prefer "Consolas" font.It looks very good for me.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    avii

I use Consolas
    I was using Trebuchet MS but now I just switched to Consolas. Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# this looks very nice in MPLAB X specially. 😀
  • Suraj Patil
    Suraj Patil
    courier new size 11
    I strongly feel that coding is something above 'looks', I love programming in the vi editor, the only constraint that I have for an editor is it should be auto indent.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Source code pro (#-Link-Snipped-#) and Ubuntu lite.
    PS: A well formatted and neat code is always looks good with any font. ☕
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    For me, Cantarell.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I just setup my MPLAB X with Consolas and skype with Cantarell.
    Thank you #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# 😀
  • ayushdce11
    ayushdce11
    I use Monospace 13 and i think its the default font in netbeans 8.1
    Moreover use colors for keywords and namespace declarations..its easier to debug
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update:

I think I've found the best programming / coding font ever; and you all ought to thank me for the discovery. The best thing - it's totally free for use and your code will look super GREAT if you use dark styled theme.

Give it a test drive: #-Link-Snipped-#

code-style

...and I think this is going to be me primary font for coding for the next few months; until I make another discovery.

What say you?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    100x Like to your discovery Biggie !
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    for the discovery. The best thing - it's totally free for use and your code will look super GREAT if you use dark styled theme.
    Give it a test drive: #-Link-Snipped-#
    A treat 👍

InputSansMedium for Code Editor
    InputSans for other setting
    Just awesome 😎
  • Stephen B Johnson
    Stephen B Johnson
    Emacs - I can configure the fonts, colors, tabs to whatever I desire and it has worked for me for 20 years.

The key is to find an editor that you like and become proficient using it. If the editor makes your life easier, then what else matters?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've migrated from text editors to full fledged IDEs for development. I go back to textmate (and ATOM these days) for anything that's <100 lines.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: An Light Emitting Diode is an electronic device that emits light when current is passed through it. LEDs are small, extremely efficient, bright, cheap, electronic components. People think that...
I have a matlab program. In that program I do not know the function for plotting a circle. Whether it is fplot, ez plot, funplot. Can any body guide me?...
Microsoft has officially announced the next Windows operating system and if you were expecting it to be called Windows 9, please be informed that the next Windows will be called...
does pre-process deduplication worths now-a-day?? am doing my final project in this technology, kindly give some idea to proceed with it.
Quote: Google’s cofounders may have downplayed that they’re interested in turning the tech giant into a healthcare company. But their company sure hasn’t been acting that way lately. While Apple...