Best Career Options after B.Tech Mechanical Engineering?

Inspired from this post about Confusion After B.Tech (ECE). engineers, I thought we should have such a thread for all engineering branches. A lot of us have experience in the industry and are well equipped to lay down the options available.

Many engineers have confusion after final year B.Tech and start looking for all the options they have. If you are such an engineer, please post your queries below.

For regular members, I appeal you to post the career options available after B.Tech or B.E. in mechanical engineering. I am sure this post will help a lot of current engineering students as well as degree holders.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    One option for B.Tech mechanical engineers is get a job in government sector.
    This could include, various positions in:
    • ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation)
    • DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization)
    • SAIL (Steel Authority of India)
    • NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation)
    • VSSC (Vikram Sarabhai Space Center)
    • ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation)
    • IOC (Indian Oil Corporation)
    • etc..

Another idea that comes to mind is go for GATE Mechanical Engineering. This could let you pursue:

M.Tech or M.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
    Here you can choose some subject for specialization.
    • Automobile Engineering
    • Industrial Engineering
    • Thermal Engineering
    • Product Design and Development
    • Computer Integrated Manufacturing
    • Manufacturing Engineering
    • Material Technology
    • Engineering Design
    • Computer Aided Design & Manufacturing
    • Energy Engineering & Management
    • Mechatronics Engineering
    • etc.
    Another idea is to go for a career in IT Sector to work on mechanical/automobile related projects.
    Following companies regularly recruit Mechanical Engineers in India for various IT-Mech projects:
    • Infosys
    • Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
    • Wipro
    • IBM
    • Tata Technologies
    • Accenture
    Another idea is to go for M.S. from abroad universities

There are many specialized programs to suit your interests. Major countries that have top ranking universities for students wanting to pursue in a branch related to Mechanical engineering for M.S. (Master of Sciences) are:

• USA
    • Germany
    • Japan
    These are very broad ideas. Let's keep updating this thread with more ideas and offbeat options for mechanical engineering students.
  • msuresh444
    msuresh444
    Ankita Katdare
    One option for B.Tech mechanical engineers is get a job in government sector.
    This could include, various positions in:
    • ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation)
    • DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organization)
    • SAIL (Steel Authority of India)
    • NTPC (National Thermal Power Corporation)
    • VSSC (Vikram Sarabhai Space Center)
    • ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation)
    • IOC (Indian Oil Corporation)
    • etc..

Another idea that comes to mind is go for GATE Mechanical Engineering. This could let you pursue:

M.Tech or M.E. (Mechanical Engineering)
    Here you can choose some subject for specialization.
    • Automobile Engineering
    • Industrial Engineering
    • Thermal Engineering
    • Product Design and Development
    • Computer Integrated Manufacturing
    • Manufacturing Engineering
    • Material Technology
    • Engineering Design
    • Computer Aided Design & Manufacturing
    • Energy Engineering & Management
    • Mechatronics Engineering
    • etc.
    Another idea is to go for a career in IT Sector to work on mechanical/automobile related projects.
    Following companies regularly recruit Mechanical Engineers in India for various IT-Mech projects:
    • Infosys
    • Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
    • Wipro
    • IBM
    • Tata Technologies
    • Accenture
    Another idea is to go for M.S. from abroad universities

There are many specialized programs to suit your interests. Major countries that have top ranking universities for students wanting to pursue in a branch related to Mechanical engineering for M.S. (Master of Sciences) are:

• USA
    • Germany
    • Japan
    These are very broad ideas. Let's keep updating this thread with more ideas and offbeat options for mechanical engineering students.
    Correct answer!This should sum up all the options available!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I was wondering if we could have more insights on this topic. One of the obvious points is go for your own startup.

Here's an interesting discussion that could help you out:
    Any business ideas for mechanical engineers in India?
    Want to start small scale industry.. suggestions please
    Startups In Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineering Fields

If you have a specific query, please go ahead and ask in the replies below. Be as detailed as you can while describing your question. We will try out best to come up with a solution.
  • sanketchavan
    sanketchavan
    Which courses are helpful to get job in mnc company and also for good package for mechanical engineering degree holder.
  • arun nath
    arun nath
    is doing diploma courses like HVAC or piping etc good to get jobs....is there any scope for career development in those??..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sanketchavan
    Which courses are helpful to get job in mnc company and also for good package for mechanical engineering degree holder.
    There are no courses that'd directly promise a job in MNC. Pick up any course that is relevant to your engineering discipline and excel at it. That's the right way to get a good job.
    arun nath
    is doing diploma courses like HVAC or piping etc good to get jobs....is there any scope for career development in those??..
    Yes. MIT offers courses; but I'm not sure if those would get you into MNC. Do check for college's track record before you make time+money investment.
  • Bablu Ranjan
    Bablu Ranjan
    I want any government job.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Your strategy of uploading your resume on public website is likely not to work. Also, are you sure you want 'any' government job?
  • Pavan2525
    Pavan2525
    I have completed my graduation (b tech mech) in 2011 but up to now i din't worked anywhere i was preparing for state psc examinations only now i realise to do any private job also...so please suggest me any option to do from now ...thank you very much..
  • parvaze
    parvaze
    i want mechanical sector job
  • kumar_07
    kumar_07
    hi this is shiva kumar i completed my b.tech this year{2016} and i'm interested in designing..and i'm further looking for job,but i see nothing fair with private companies so that, i decided to go towards aeronautical that too by the side of designing and further i'm confused what courses would b available to make future better..so please help me with making better decision..
  • gnanesh28
    gnanesh28
    i have compleated my Btech(Mechanical) this year and i am still in a confusion weather to opt to MS or stay in india and go for a job i have a job in hand & i have even got my ielts , gre scores in hand at present , which is the best option i can go for .
  • Bhargav Gujarati
    Bhargav Gujarati
    Struggling for a job at entry level( B.tech mechanical fresher). Some help would be gratefull!

Currently on a job hunt and it's getting very difficult (off campus). Can you suggest some ways to land up with a job as per my qualification( B.tech Mechanical).
  • NANDHU REMANAN
    NANDHU REMANAN
    i am doing my 3rd yr btech mech ......i joined eng without any aim or so in making eng my proffesion .....but now as i started looking forward to it ....just want to know whether i could get a reasonable job after completing btech
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    NANDHU REMANAN
    i joined eng without any aim
    Sadly, that's the case with many engineering students across India. So, be assured that you are not alone. It's the fault with the education system that students don't feel compelled to take the right decision early in their career.

NANDHU REMANAN
    just want to know whether i could get a reasonable job after completing btech
    Why do you think you would not? I am sure there will be tons of opportunities in campus placements and later for freshers hiring. Make sure you study well, know your core subjects well and keep on a lookout for what the industry needs and develop your skill set. You will definitely land a good job.
  • mounika kari
    mounika kari
    Hi guys,
    Completed my btech in 2015 in mech . I dont have any exp in mech field. All Industries are looking for exp persons only . please suggest some companies who will take freshers . please let me know if you know any consultancies. plz do help.
  • mounika kari
    mounika kari
    Ankita Katdare
    Sadly, that's the case with many engineering students across India. So, be assured that you are not alone. It's the fault with the education system that students don't feel compelled to take the right decision early in their career.

Why do you think you would not? I am sure there will be tons of opportunities in campus placements and later for freshers hiring. Make sure you study well, know your core subjects well and keep on a lookout for what the industry needs and develop your skill set. You will definitely land a good job.[/QUOT

I don' think a mechanical engineer can get placement in normal colleges. After completing studies the ppl who want settle in core field without any reference are facing worst situation. they have to take the resume and keep on moving roads from one company to another. because in core field, there are few companies who will accept the freshers and those jobs are mostly given to referenced people.
  • Pritesh Veer
    Pritesh Veer
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes. MIT offers courses; but I'm not sure if those would get you into MNC. Do check for college's track record before you make time+money investment.
    check this before joining MIT courses
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • nithin pn
    nithin pn
    • Is it nebosh helpful after btech?
  • Dhanush Mepcentre
    Dhanush Mepcentre

If any Mechanical Graduates/Diploma Students want to get a job in core field,then one of the best option is HVAC Design & Drafting course. It is related to Mechanical engineers. Dhanush MEP Centre(India’s 1st NSDC Approved Training Partner) is providing the best Training & placement Assistance. Check the Career path & Scope in their website. 

• Prince Jangra
    Prince Jangra

Hello please reply me that which is is the best option for mech. engg. in Psus with how much I get package. My b.tech is pursuing now in 6th sem.

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# You need to appear for GATE to be eligible for selection as Graduate trainee in most PSUs. We recommend that you go and check the official website of each of the above listed organisations and see the eligibility criteria. It mentions that you need a valid GATE Score. So, if you haven't already started, you can start preparing for the exam.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Jaguar Land Rover has tested a Range Rover Sport prototype that can be controlled by a driver outside the car using a smartphone app. The smartphone app features touch controls...
Developing bio-inspired technology is the biggest trend in the research field. A team of scientists from the Department of Engineering Mathematics at Bristol University have made it possible to develop...
what are the topics from English, quants and reasoning were covered in the exam and tell about topics covered in section B? People who are going to give C-CAT exam...
Why do I see this?
Scientists at the Darmstadt University of Technology and Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology, Germany have found a major bug in thousands of popular app in Apple iTunes Store and...