belt drives

hey guys tell me how to determine the following:

consider two v-pulleys connected by a v belt. the speed at which the driving pulley rotates is known . how do we determine the torque on the driver pulley as well as the speed of the driven pulley and the torque transmitted to the driven pulley by the driver.

we know : the diameters of both the pulleys

the angle of slip of the belt

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    hey guys tell me how to determine the following:
    consider two v-pulleys connected by a v belt. the speed at which the driving pulley rotates is known . how do we determine the torque on the driver pulley as well as the speed of the driven pulley and the torque transmitted to the driven pulley by the driver. we know : the diameters of both the pulleys
    the angle of slip of the belt
    This may help:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    bioramani
    server trouble. Multiple posts.
    Yeah, even I faced one!!! 😔 #-Link-Snipped-#, please look into this...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Problem fixed. We're performing server operations that result into lag. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    The_Big_K
    Problem fixed. We're performing server operations that result into lag. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Is it just me? The quoted post says it is #2, while there are more than 3 posts above!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Is it just me? The quoted post says it is #2, while there are more than 3 posts above!!!
    I deleted the posts, that's why.
    The_Big_K
    I deleted the posts, that's why.
    Hey, wait... This is an awesome thread... Goes in the number of:
    😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : You are spamming this thread. Stick to the topic, please.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    To determine the torque on the driver pulley you must first find the tensions T1 and T2 on the belt.
    Torque = (T1-T2)*(Radius of the driver pulley)
    To determine Speed of the driven:
    Use the ratio: Speed of Driver * Radius of Driver = Speed of Driven * Radius of Driven
    i.e. v1r1 = v2r2
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    To determine the torque on the driver pulley you must first find the tensions T1 and T2 on the belt.
    Torque = (T1-T2)*(Radius of the driver pulley)
    To determine Speed of the driven:
    Use the ratio: Speed of Driver * Radius of Driver = Speed of Driven * Radius of Driven
    i.e. v1r1 = v2r2
    thanx a lot dude, now can u tell me how to determine the belt tensions
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    e^(u)(theta) = (T1-Tc)/(T2-Tc)
    where T1 is the maximum tension which the belt is specified for
    u = coefficient of friction
    Tc = mv^2
    m = mass of the belt
    v =RPM*(2pie/60)*radius of driver

You can now find T2 knowing T1 and Tc.
    be sure to use standard units and theta is in radians
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    CE Designer
    You can now find T2 knowing T1 and Tc.
    be sure to use standard units and theta is in radians
    thanx again. but the problem is i do not know T1 either . now what to do
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I would suggest you search the manufacturer's specifications. Call your supplier or visit their website.
    I am not sure but check on the belt itself to see if there is any indication there.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I did not give GATE this year & I think I may have to wait till next year GATE 2013. What are my options ? how can I utilize this...
It is normal for a person to get hungry all of a sudden. But when it happens in a place you don't know much about, You will be in a...
I have done R.S. Aggarwal books. Can anyone suggest me some other good books for bank preparation? I am looking for reasoning & verbal books. I also have wren &...
Wishing you many many Happy returns of the day Pensu HapPy BirThDAy 🎉
KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set...