Being a electrical student,can i write gate cse paper?

hello everyone, i need some help regarding gate 2015.
I did my engineering in electrical stream and am a 2013 passed out.After my graduation ,i have taken coaching on java and SQL.From dec 2014 am working in a startup company .
Now, i want to persue M.TECH in CSE and started preparing for gate cse paper.if i get a seat in Nits/iits ,i will go for higher studies otherwise i want to apply for PSU's to get into a job.
But i am little worried ,if i apply for PSU's for cse or IT related jobs,will they consider me as am from electrical background ?? or am i really going to face any complications .
some people are adivicing me rather than preparing for gate ,its better to concentrate on your work , gain more knowledge and experience so that i can get into a MNC and can build a nice career.also i heard that there are only a few jobs based on gate cse score. so am in a confusion to continue my gate preparation or not.

please give me your suggestions
The reason for giving gate in cs paper was that ,i dont have any touch with my electrical subjects after finishing graduation so i have choosen cs paper.

Replies

• Abhijeet Chaturvedi
    Abhijeet Chaturvedi
    CSe is the best stream u can ever get.. U Have a lot of advantages over Electrical stream.. U Wld Face A Bit off Complications In Interviews Bt Yes If U Have an Interest towards Coding..Go For It..
    All D Best.
  • lal
    lal
    I'm afraid you can't appear for CSE paper in GATE for being an Electrical Engineering graduate. That is what I have known till date. Will have to spend some time researching if it is actually possible to appear for other branches' papers in GATE someway.
  • avii
    avii
    ^Afaik you can give GATE from other branch.

Source: colleague had bachelors in ECE & received masters from IISC in CSE.
  • Void Runner
    Void Runner
    lal
    I'm afraid you can't appear for CSE paper in GATE for being an Electrical Engineering graduate. That is what I have known till date. Will have to spend some time researching if it is actually possible to appear for other branches' papers in GATE someway.
    It is possible, but generally not recommended. It works for university admissions and between certain branches only (for e.g. ECE/EEE can give CSE paper, but many universities will not consider an I&C graduate with GATE score in CSE as eligible). It is NOT tenable for PSU jobs, you HAVE to give GATE in your branch only.
  • Saikat Pal
    Saikat Pal

I'm doing B.tech in polymer science and technology. I want to appear for GATE in chemical engineering to get a psu. I'm not too well aware that can I get that jobs even though I'm from polymer engineering. Please help me out.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

There were time when students used to study with text-books, used to take notes on a piece of paper and used to mug up every thing. Now over a period...
is there any way to get back jar file from exe file.. jar file is developed using netbeans...?
Name:darshan br Engineering Trade: electronics and instrumentation Location: bangalore Occupation: Student Hobbies & Interests: playing fifa14 😛 , Aim in life: to be start own comapny I joined CrazyEngineers because:its...
Hi I'm searching research topic for my PhD Mechanical Engineering in field of Ocean energy Can you please guide Many Thanks!
I want to make my final year solar project guys do u have any idea regarding it .....any devices related ...................plz i urgently need it