Before you post - read this!

CEans,

Please go through the following before you post your queries in this section.

1. Read the guide created by our own CEan - xHeavenlyx here -

#-Link-Snipped-#

2. Do not ask for seminar topics or project ideas through our "Contact Us" form. We'll only redirect you to this section. Please note that its impossible to offer help on individual basis.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just want to add some stuff, but still a draft:

Why are you doing engineering?
    CEans, make sure you understand the engineering course you are taking. This might sound silly, but I'm sure there are many who select a degree for the sake of taking something. Ask yourself why you are taking it, as well as your "expectations" from the course.

Remember, as an engineer, your goal is to solve practical problems that exist in your engineering field. You must be aware of these problems, or else you won't know why you are being an engineer in the first place!

Also, do not be lazy for goodness sake. Asking others to do your work will not make you a better engineer. Be proactive!

Study the course plan thoroughly (in detail)
    The 1st year is usually a general year. Look at the 2nd year onwards and see the kind of subjects that are being taught and what will be taught next semester or next year. It is during this time that you will "specialize" in your degree. By knowing what you will learn, its easier to narrow down ideas for your seminars, mini projects as well as the Final Year Project.

How to select a title for seminars and projects
    I'll try to give a guideline on how to select your seminar and project titles. However, be aware that institutions around the world may implement their Seminar and FYP differently. Make sure you read your college's policies about how they are run.

Seminar Topics:
    Depending on your institution, you will be headed by a coordinator from your own department. He/She may already give a list of seminar topics to choose from. If not, start searching for a particular theme. For example, if you are doing Computer Engineering, you might think of Computer Security or Embedded hardware.

To find a theme, please read online engineering news, blogs and journals to see the current and upcoming trends regarding your degree. If you already know what your specialization, its easier to search and appreciate the news that are related to it. Its much better than reading EVERYTHING, which may lead to information overload (and total confusion!). Hopefully you'll get a topic title after reading a particular article that interests you.

The internet might be the most common source for information, but make sure you actually visit the library as well. Yes, the library.. the place in your college with thousands of books! The library has MUCH better sources of information. Make the habit of reading books and referencing from them properly.

Mini Projects:
    This may be defined as:
    - a side project you choose to do in your free time
    - an assessed project that is part of a course or lab

In these cases, its best to do a project based on something you've already learned. Review the classes that you've already taken (or are currently taking), and see which interest you most. Some professors may give some mini projects for you to do based on their research interests, so don't be shy to ask them for assistance.

Know your abilities in completing the mini-project. Don't waste your time with an advanced topic if you don't have a resources or skills to pull it off, no matter how "cool" it sounds. Its best to do a project that will implement knowledge you've gained throughout your studies. If you already have particular interests you've picked up, do try to base your mini project based on it.

Final Year Project:

Ah yes, the ultimate destination for aspiring engineers πŸ˜› FYP's will be somewhat based on what you've learned up to now, as well as related stuff thats beyond your degree syllabus. The important thing to remember is that FYP's require dedication for research.

Depending your your institution, your department may give a list of topics to choose from. If not (or you'd like to do something else than what is offered), it is important to aim for FYP's that are not common. Due to the fact that your mission is to solve practical problems, you'll be wasting time to do a project that's been done many times over the past few years (or decades). You can certainly choose it for the sake of completing your degree, but you and the rest of the engineering community will not benefit much from the output.

Just like seminar topics, engineering news, journals and blogs are a good source to find current trends. Also, like mini projects, do not undertake a project thats too complex.. just make it advanced enough to stretch the limit of your skills and knowledge. Do ask your lecturers for any advice of choosing a FYP title. Most would certainly love to give their own titles, as its related to their own research work. Find a lecturer who has matching interests with yours πŸ˜€

The rest of the FYP research will certainly come from the library. Make the Library your second home, because you'll need to spend most of your time there. Ask the librarian in charge of the Engineering section on how to search book titles and authors efficiently and effectively.

Thats it for now. I will certainly update this from inputs from other CEans, as this is far from being a perfect guideline. Please do comment!
  • sarakavitha
    sarakavitha
    excellent. i read ur blogs, and if ur interested kindly fwd those seminar topics to my id: .
    i find it difficult to select a topic for seminar. am an ECE student too.
  • BENTODD
    BENTODD
    HI ROOM.
    I'M BENJAMIN A MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT
    IN NIGERIA.
    I'M HAPPY TO BE A MEMBER THIS SITE(CRAZY ENGINEER)
    THANKS
  • look4shelly
    look4shelly
    hi friends!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Lol, I haven't read this in all these days.. Great work ash.😁

In my experience, my own seniors proved to be a good source for ideas. Asking them about what they did for their projects and what are the problems they faced, will open many new avenues for us.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Red Hawk
    Red Hawk
    silverscorpion
    Lol, I haven't read this in all these days.. Great work ash.😁

In my experience, my own seniors proved to be a good source for ideas. Asking them about what they did for their projects and what are the problems they faced, will open many new avenues for us.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I too abide by him.. Its easy to ask help from your seniors than anyone else.. If you have any brothers or sisters who is really helping you, then you are also as lucky as i am.. Ask your tutor, professors, seniors for topics.. After this search in Websites and forums.. After that if you have a good contact, you can ask any expert from experts in that field..
  • Lankythekid
    Lankythekid
    Good Thing to Read the Rules First

so, i just joined this site. mainly its because its FYP time but hey this is going to be my field of study so HECK, why not get involved in the local online community... well maybe not local but WORLDWIDE. In the Engineering field rules are NOT meant to be BROKEN!
  • frost00
    frost00
    Read and Understood😁
  • vaib840
    vaib840
    hey why thr is not a live chat section ..........it can solve ur prob vry easily
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    If there's a live chat session, as we had a ShoutBox before, it diverted the traffic there than to post topics on the forums... πŸ˜”
  • vaib840
    vaib840
    hmmmmmm......ur ryt bt u cn thnk abt it once again
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Biggie is responsible for it... But at the same time, if we enable the Shoutbox, it might also drive high traffic to the servers. So that is also to be considered. πŸ˜”
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    CE claims to advertise Good English which is sweet to read and a monogram of Good Engineers. Though I am Quite New I follow some of the things which I feel is within my right as a CE well wisher to Raise
    1) Tons and Tons and Tons of Posts are made with SMS Text. Moderators Reply them Back. Make a rule. If one cant type whole sentence, he or she is not entitled to get a help. This practice for a month will improve the forum quality. For God Sake CE is not a facebook and dont let it to become one.
    2) There are many threads like "Awesome Topics", "Hot Topics" but ultimately they are topics. They are just a List which is Good to copy and search in google for information. And tell you the truth Forums should be used for Discussions not for giving out or dishing out topics. I can Compile 10x more topics than what you offer in CE in just half an Hour. Whats My Point? My point is dont publish Lists, give a topic Invite a discussion. For example A Unique Surveillance system Design. CEans must come and put their view like " it should have SMS notification, any security breach image must be sent over bluetooth immidiately"
    3) If you decide to publish the topics, atleast give some abstract. It is hard work but fruit is worth the work.
    4) Just like any other forums students are coming here to ask " Can I get This?" No! method should be "What I need to know to get this".
    5) Shout Box and Chats and Mandatory Avoidance for a Forum. You have tons of chat tool like yahoo. shout box topics just vanishes, leaving no trace behind.

Pardon me for my hard suggestions. But Dear "K" if you read this post you would understand the concern with which the post is put forward. CE has just started Growing. So challenge is more to protect its "Pure Form".
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Rupam: Your concern is the concern expressed by 100% of our oldie, regular CEans. We've discussed this so many times already. Check out following threads -

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

and there are several other discussion that go on similar trend. In a nutshell - the problem zeroes down to the quality of audience. The project section was started on CE only because our Computer Science Engineering discussion section was flooded with 'give me all project code' related queries. Further discussion on this topic can be carried out in Feedback or Chit-Chat section.

PS: Check what I received in email just a few minutes ago: -

hello!
    im pursuing ME-EXTC,second #-Link-Snipped-# searching for ready made project with report n details.i want to know wether my search ends here.
    pls reply.
    regards
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Dear "K" with a small twek in Vb script your team can ban the terms like "readymade", "provide me with" and so on. And Yeah I can Upload more than 2000 projects that I have worked into in past 8 years for free, provided everybody downloads them donates their degree to "CE", we will distribute. What you say?? Me, you, abrakadabra all can have multiple degrees.... Quite Something! Yes See point is We need to enforce the issue of good English....and Discussion. May by an Ajax Mod can be added with the Script that warns the CE when he tries to publish a post with too many spell errors. These are just suggestions, may be they can be worked into. And The mail you received, Gosh Got to say You pass the exam of patience... Hats off........ Really finding difficult to express the exact expression ( Wheather I am surprised or Angry or Smiling or Crying) So I am putting a custom expression smily.Mona-Lisa-1
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Hope, Last post Gives Dear "K" a reason to smile.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    There's no point in uploading all the content for free. You must have noticed that we do not help those who ask for ready made projects. I'm even thinking maybe we could 'sell' those projects. πŸ˜€ But for now, this discussion is closed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, World's biggest software maker - Microsoft is willing to pay $44.6 billion for acquiring Yahoo - the Internet's biggest website! Now, while Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is attempting world's...
would like to know weather anyone has implemented I2C in software in smaller chips like Atmel AT89C51, which doesn't have the port. Could you share the details with hardware details(viz:...
CEans, All of you can help CE grow by doing a simple trick. Just add a link to CrazyEngineers in your email signature. So whenever you email your friend/colleague or...
I'm Bachelor Degree student in Mechanical Engineering from a local university, and I'm taking Applied Welding Engineering as my Special Topic. In my assesment I must do a welding project,...
Friends, CEan - Suyash celebrates his 22[sup]nd[/sup] birthday today 😁. Many happy returns of the day, dude! Keep rocking, have fun & change the world 😁 Party On! πŸŽ‰