Basics of 4G

I'm Swati Verma. I wish to understand the basics of 4G technology. All I know is the 4th Generation of mobile communications. Thanking you in advance.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    hmmπŸ˜€
    tough question

let's start from the beginning of telecom generations
    1G(analog)->2G(digital)->3G,4G(multi media ) services

2G implemented the CDMA ,GSM multiplexing involved TDMA and basically circuit switching.

2.5G was GPRS which still involved TDMA but with both circuit switching and packet switching.

3G basically concentrated on the multi media data packets. ie till 2.5 or greater generations it was just voice packets, and messaging(signalling) packets which were sent..but later one.. when mobile phones( mobile techonlogy) had to be enhanced to include the data packet feature as well.. that is your MMS feature.. internet browsing, and all..

for this they not only needed higher band width.. but as well needed optimum untilsiation of these frequecies...
    I dont think INDIA could implement 3G techonlogy. Its directly moving to 4G.. couple of yerars ago when I was into training.. i came to know that the 3G frequency was being used by Indian military forces and allocating that frequency to general use was not permitted.

migration to 3G and 4G involved UMTS network protocols, SIP,HSDPA enhancements ,CDMS 2000 , and wi fi wi max techonologies involving OFDM and COFDM techonlogies, MIMO along with IP architecture
    3G basically concentrated on WCDMA,CDMA and then later by UMTS

as far as i can recon, 4G generally deals with wi-fi and wi-fi max..
    though they tend to call it wireless fidelity.. thats not the basic intention... its was mentioned tht they used the phrase wi-fi only in rhym with hi fi and later redefined it as wireless fidelity

OFDM:
    in OFDM...a specific band of frequency is allocated to the service provider..
    instead of using the whole band to trasnmit signals.. they divide the band inot multiple sub channels.. u can imagine a truck of a tree with branches..

and now each subchannel carries data... πŸ˜€you might wonder how?? wont they intefere?? nah!!! thats where 'O'of OFDM comes into picture...
    the sub carriers are choosen such that they maintain orhtogonality ie when the subcarriers are recieved at the reciever, the sum would equal to zero!!!ie orthogonal..

thus efficinet use of bandwidth..

apart form OFDM.. MIMO antenna system as well is use..( i am yet to get familiar with the JUMBO COMBO-MIMO OFDM!!!!)
    in SISO ,, you have s single transmitting antenna and a single reciever antenna.. incase there is a loss of data the data is lost for ever.. where as in MIMO .. you have multiple input and multiple outputs.. say u have 2 antennas trasnmitting ans 2 recieving the same data packtes.,.. kind of creating redundancy..

since dats transmission is invloved,, we would as well be having a Internet layer protocol invloved... I guess wifi uses IPV4 or may be higer version.. not sureπŸ˜”

the 4G application iwreless LAN provides high speed mobile data communication and supports 3 topologies
    peer to peer
    acess point
    point to multi point bridges

hope.. this helps!!

by the way .. this infor was form my previous training... so it might be a bit outdated!!! 😁
  • swati verma
    swati verma
    thank you, ma'am
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    nah!!

dont make me too old by calling "ma'am"!!πŸ˜›
  • swati verma
    swati verma
    plz tell me dear, wat sud i call u?
    actually, i have to prepare an abstract so i need more nd more information on dis topic.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmmm..

in that case you can give an abstract on transisting fomr 3G to 4G...and then apllications of 4G . this would help the listener / reader a better insight..

call me durga...πŸ˜€ that should be ok
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    *bump* @Swati - please refrain from using SMS text while posting on CE Forums!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ya know, I'm thinking theres still a lot of room of 3G to exist. It hasnt fully matured yet. WiMax (which is still classified as 3G) has just been deployed city wide!

4G is still a long way in the future πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey any idea what IP WiFi uses... I pressummed its IPV4
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    durga
    hey any idea what IP WiFi uses... I pressummed its IPV4
    Yeah it's IPV4...still IPV6 has not came into existence....
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    anuragh27crony
    Yeah it's IPV4...still IPV6 has not came into existence....
    Though its IPV4 only... just for knowledge...Excerpt from Wiki..

"IPv4 is currently the dominant Internet Protocol version, and was the first to receive widespread use. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) has designated IPv6 as the successor to version 4 for general use on the Internet.

IPv6 has a much larger address space than IPv4, which provides flexibility in allocating addresses and routing traffic. The extended address length (128 bits) is intended to eliminate the need for network address translation to avoid address exhaustion, and also simplifies aspects of address assignment and renumbering, when changing Internet connectivity providers."
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Windows Vista has native IPv6 support, it seems. Some organizations are doing some testing to implement IPv6 in parallel with IPv4.

The obstacle of implementing the new protocol is the cost of transition from IPv4. I guess it wont be a quick change as we would like it to be.

Anyway, IPv6 should be able to support us for a couple centuries, unless we start giving every object in the universe an IP address πŸ˜‰
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ash
    Windows Vista has native IPv6 support, it seems. Some organizations are doing some testing to implement IPv6 in parallel with IPv4.

The obstacle of implementing the new protocol is the cost of transition from IPv4. I guess it wont be a quick change as we would like it to be.

Anyway, IPv6 should be able to support us for a couple centuries, unless we start giving every object in the universe an IP address πŸ˜‰
    Hey wait wait wait ASH... isn't it too early to say anything.

You never know when this technological driven crazy engineers would find some better version of IPv6 as well. 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    crazyboy
    Hey wait wait wait ASH... isn't it too early to say anything.

You never know when this technological driven crazy engineers would find some better version of IPv6 as well. 😁
    Haha, I know what you mean πŸ˜›

However, improvements to the protocol will just update it's definition. It's like Windows XP.. theres always patches going on. But its still XP πŸ˜‰ Unless theres a total concept change and we require even more bits!

Of course centuries would fly very quick πŸ˜‰
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I read some where...I really cant recollect where..
    the present IPV4 using 32bits for addressing and they would be exhausted by 2009!!!

but CISCO says something else..

wanna read??

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

we have made project on Remote Control using TSOP1738 Receiver(rc5 Receiver) and Microcontroller (Atmel AT89S52).our circuit is ready, circuit is working properly,but we need a proper correct programme code for...
hi all Im Rajeshwari .presently woking on controllers. Well i was searching for som stuff related entrepreneurship when i bumped to this site found it interesting ..so here im😎
hey i want to buy a laptop with the following config: core2duo, 2gb ram,250 gb hard disk,14.1" lcd which laptop has the best price for this config? i'll be programming...
please do explain the importance of linux shell programming and linux troubleshooting in current software industry. i am quite interested in it. can they help me in future?
what is the function of trap flag in 8086 microprocessor?