Basic Working of Electric Locomotives Explained

These days we hardly find any steam locomotive running carrying bogies. The first electric locomotive was built by Robert Davidson way back in 1837. After that the electric

[​IMG]
Image credit: evworld.com

locomotive gained more and more importance over the traditional steam locomotives and today we hardly find steam locos in museums. The reason behind this is the several advantages that a electric loco has got over the steam loco. However the working of an electric loco is not that simple. Here I will try to explain it as simply as I can.

There will be two parts of this article:

1) How does an electrical locomotive run?

2) How does it stop?

How does an electrical locomotive run?

Motors used: The motors used in an electric locomotive are Direct Current Series Motors. Now why DE SE motors? It is because of the load torque curve of a train. The torque requirement in propulsion of a train goes on decreasing with the increase in the speed. DC SE motors on account of their construction have a torque speed characteristic that exactly matches the load requirements and hence we use DC SE motors in electrical locos. DC SE motors are basically used in urban and sub-urban areas but single phase induction motors can also be used where sudden acceleration is not required and the train run is very long.

Series – Parallel method: In locomotion, a number of DC SE motors are used in different combinations. During the initial acceleration period, both the DC SE motors are connected in series with each other with some heavy resistance also present in series combination. This resistance is basically used to limit the heavy starting currents, till the back EMF develops (back EMF is proportional to speed of motor). Then as the train gains speed, this resistance is gradually cut out and the motor gains speed. Now as the current in the series circuit reach the rated value,(when this happens, the motors approach almost half of their individual capacity) the current limiting resistance is reinserted into the circuit. Then the series combination is gradually converted into a parallel combination. Time period for which the motors should run as a series combination and as a parallel combination is determined by the run, run time between stations and acceleration of the train. After the motors are in to parallel combination the loco again accelerates to its maximum speed. Implementation of this system fetches us a considerable amount of savings in energy consumption without compromise with the acceleration and maximum speed.

Next, I will be writing about different methods used for braking.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The world is suddenly witnessing a sharp and surprising decline in the Helium-3 availability! This stable isotope of Helium plays a crucial role in MRI lung research, low temperature experimental...
Hey friends, ever wondered how the bottles are produced? Well they are actually produced by the ‘balloon way’. I remember it that way. It is actually an easy process and...
I know most of us are addicted to smart cards and may not have more than just few bucks in our pockets. While the plastic money is taking over our...
Guinness Records confirms that Microsoft Kinect is world's fastest selling consumer electronic gadget ever. I'm sure even Microsoft didn't expect this and anyone would have assumed it would be an...
Today I was just browsing through the net and what I found really made me say “yikes!”.  The manufacturers have correctly named this ultimate bike as yikes, because that is...