Basic need of theory of computation

hi friends,

Can anyone tell me what is the use of studying theory of computation.
What is its practical application?
What limitations in computer system leads to the evaluation of the concept of computation?

Replies

• Pensu
    Pensu
    I think theory of computation is a basic tool of designing languages. Till now we are using it to check whether a string is accepted by a language or not.....!!
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Are you sure about that "theory of computation is a basic tool of designing languages".

Up to what i know theory of communication tells that weather a problem can be solved on a model of computation or not and also how efficiently a problem can be solved on a model of computation using an algorithm.

Correct me if i am wrong.
    nicepeeyush
    I think theory of computation is a basic tool of designing languages.
    Can you please tell which type of language is designed by the theory of computation.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I think this is a tool which tells us about a string is accepted by a language or not. And as i have studied in my last semester(IV) this is a basic step in making of any language compiler as they have to check whether the function which are used matches the library function or not.
  • arunravindran
    arunravindran
    Theory of computation is a useful subject as it gives one an idea of how the modern day computers came into existence..It'll be extensively used if you want to do research or make a system. A PC is just one model of computer which is formed on the basis of TOC. In defence services(all around the world), we might have to make dedicated machines which would serve the required purpose which a normal PC cannot serve. Its major application is to design machines. Designing languages is also based on TOC but just a part of it. TOC is also helpful in Robotics or AI as that also demands language/vocal recognition and all that. A very simple example of a TOC application is the voice recognition software in MS-Office.

Please do correct me if I am wrong or if you want to add some points. That's the best way by which we can learn a lot.

Cheers!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEan CrazyBoy celebrates his birthday today. Here's wishing CB a very happy & prosperous birthday. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Hi, i am interested in simulating a pick and place robot. Which software do i use? I am thinking of using microsoft robotic studio...is it OK? or is there any...
A student appeared for a maths exam. He was given 100 problems to solve. He tried to solve all of them correctly but some of them went wrong. Any how...
Finally, the Rupee will have a symbol like the Dollar ($) or the Euro (โ‚ฌ) or the Pound (ยฃ). On 15th of July 2010 cabinet, finalized the design for the...
How is the course of Sikkim Manipal Uni..... MBA Banking & Finance, guys I require your opinion as I am very keen in joining this course. Do Banks accept this...