"Basic Engineering"-Justified?

For most of us,the first sem or first year would be common to all branches. A IT Guy must do welding,lathe,plumbing etc., a mechanical guy would need to go around fundamentals of programming in C or C++. I Don;t find any reason in it. What is the need for them? Why wasting a year for no-use matters?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I had more fun and learning doing Mechanical engg and Engineering drawing than programming lab.
    In Indian enginnering colleges 1st year is same for all and you can change your stream in 2nd year if you want (for few seats.).
    I think that's good to give all engineering basic stuffs.
  • mail154
    mail154
    i didn't heard the option of changing streams in the 2nd year 😀 and don't you think it is waste of time and energy?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    mail154
    i didn't heard the option of changing streams in the 2nd year 😀 and don't you think it is waste of time and energy?
    For an engineer there is never waste of energy learning new thing. ☕
    Btw, the way Indian education system has designed, a higher secondary school passout student is mostly clueless what he should do.

I advocate that career streams should be separated right after class X.
  • mail154
    mail154
    ya your first word was my question's base. why is it generally an engineer..not an mechanical engineer or an civil engineer?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    you may think why all stupid syllabus has been designed but its very useful in future.
    consider a student doing a mechanical engineering.All the fields were influenced by other fields .Now all mechanical devices incorporate electronics in them to feed the future needs.Now the first year cource can help in better understanding and designing new concepts.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I dont think it is a complete waste. When you go to Workshop, you learn basics about the tools and how it is done. Later in life, there will be incidents you will have to deal with such things and at that time, this past knowledge will help a lot. It is just for basic awareness.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Do You Think studying for sake of exams will bring any positive effects? please explain..
So, I stumble upon an article today, stating how flipkart screwed the poor guy up..... https://www.thinkdigit.com/Internet/Flipkart-screwed-me-over-Heres-how-they_17224.html Now, the exact same thing happened to my room-mate too. He ordered a phone,...
Whats the starting point of making a new operating system,languages which may be useful in doing so, some useful links,ebooks or book sources to start off?
Basically i am not from this discipline and just wanted to ask this simply. if the question makes no sense..i am sorry.. but is there are any difficulties in changing...
Technovanza is the annual Techno-management festival organised by VJTI. The objective of Technovanza is to take Technology to the society.Technovanza is the platform for students to apply the theoretical knowledge...