Backup WhatsApp Messages On Google Drive

WhatsApp is working on a new feature that will let you quickly backup all your messages along with media directly on Google Drive. This could indeed be a big thing for a large number of heavy WhatsApp users because with growing number of people who add you to all the spammy groups which you can't quit, we need newer ways to save our phones. The messages and forwarded media from your contacts often tend to choke the phone and occupy precious space on your phone's internal and external memory as well. If you want an easy cloud backup of all your WhatsApp, the app is getting ready to have your back.

Note that WhatsApp does offer backup solution at present. You may simply go to Menu->Settings->Chat Settings->Backup Conversations and have all your messages saved on your microSD card. But using local storage is so 2010 and that's why you need cloud storage. WhatsApp engineers are reportedly working on easy backup and restore solution that will let you backup your stuff on Google Drive from within the WhatsApp application. The information was apparently leaked by a member of the WhatsApp Translation group. The screenshots leaked hint at time-stamp for the last drive backup and an option to delete it.

WhatsApp-Google-Drive-Backup

While everything you're reading is still in the 'unconfirmed rumors' state, there's a high chance that WhatsApp will indeed roll out this feature soon. The system seems to allow backup of text messages and photos but not videos. Also, you can restrict the backup operations to continue only when you're connected to Wi-Fi. The restore option seems to be offered when you launch the app on a new phone.

Google-WhatsApp

Google Drive integrated into WhatsApp would definitely be a nice feature to have. The Drive offers 15GB of storage free of cost and if you want more storage, you can buy 100GB for $1.99/month to about 30TB for about $299/month. We'd really love to see more cloud storage services integrated with WhatsApp, especially Amazon Cloud Drive - Is 'Unlimited Everything' Worth The Price?. We're curious to know how many of you store all your phone's media on the cloud?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Update: This feature is now officially rolling out with WhatsApp version 2.12.45; currently available on WhatsApp official website. You will have to wait for some more time before getting this update via Play Store or App Store.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: India - ‘home’ to sustainability and the world capital of NGO’s – welcomes those who admire, live, breathe and practice sustainability through green principles of design. The event Cumulus...
Instead of asking everyone to shut off lights to everyone - why can't the cities that are always on turn off the lights for a day? I bet that'd be...
Hello everyone, i need help on a subject. I have to test a 30x50 2mm thick rectangular box profile in terms of bending. What procedures should i follow? My lecturer...
The LED bulbs are fast replacing the incandescent and the CFLs across households and corporate offices around the world because they consume lesser energy and last for years. There are...
Chinese engineers seem to be getting their new mega-project ideas from Isaac Asimov's books. According to ET, China is planning to build a mega solar power station at an altitude...