Avoid Spam in GMAIL - lets keep the inbox clean

Are you worried about spam in your precious gmail account ?

Its been a quite a time since I've been a victim of spam in my gmail account and was tired of deleting tons of emails everyday - so I thought...enough is enough. Finally I found this smart way to get my inbox clean !

If you want to get a spam free inbox, then you would like to consider making aliases of your gmail id to use when you're not sure whether you're signing up for something safe or not.

It is a very simple task to provide an alias of your gmail id. Whenever you sign up on the internet on some site that you think may not be safe(or a site which might send you spam),all you have to do is give out the email address as username+insertanythingyouwanthere@gmail.com

For example if your email id is #-Link-Snipped-#,you can provide james+21@gmail.com or james+test@gmail.com .You can put anything after the + and all email sent will still go to your gmail account.

In the event that you did give your email to a spammer and you start receiving spam, don't worry! Just create a filter, and make everything that is sent to username+whateveryouputhere@gmail.com go to the trash. This way all the spam that you might get will automatically be deleted.

Did you find it useful?
In case of queries do post them as comments.....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Of course, the article is useful. Lot of people do not know how to create filters. Although it is a very simple task in Gmail ๐Ÿ˜€. Probably I'll post a how-to soon.

Similarly, while posting your email address on forums/websites, post them in a format that won't be recognized by the bots. For example, if your address is #-Link-Snipped-# , writing it as james (at) gmail (dot) com will do the job.

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    hey thanks, great tip! Is there a way to create folders too? I put so many labels that my inbox is a rainbow of mess. Can't I filter a specific type of mail into a specific location A la Yahoo! Mail style? Like.. away from the inbox.
  • hussainv1
    hussainv1
    Wow! this idea sounds really good..i think this is for new sign ups..maybe im right..but already i have loadsa spam in my inbox and spam folder of my gmail account.how can i stop these spam and direct them automatically into trash.??
  • weirdgeek
    weirdgeek
    First of all we have to know why we get spam then we can think of how to prevent spam a small research shows that spammers uses some algorithm which is discussed in below link

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • aashima
    aashima
    ash
    hey thanks, great tip! Is there a way to create folders too? I put so many labels that my inbox is a rainbow of mess. Can't I filter a specific type of mail into a specific location A la Yahoo! Mail style? Like.. away from the inbox.
    Labels are more or less kind of folders only. In fact I find them better than folders. Just select all your labeled mails and click on the "Archive" button on top left side of the inbox. The mails will no longer appear in the inbox. You can see them either through "All Mail" or clicking on the respective label name to which it belongs. Label list appears below the gmail chat feature.
  • thiliban.v
    thiliban.v
    nice it`s really usefull>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • lal
    lal
    That was really useful. I didnt know it earlier.
  • fake_lover01
    fake_lover01
    But after changing my email like you told do i will receive my mails๐Ÿ˜•
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    how to create the filters??? please give details..............
  • think
    think
    i knew how to create aliases but i don't think that adding a + sign to your id and adding anything to it will then forward the mail to ur id.. please somebody cross check this feature
    eg consider a person having a mail id #-Link-Snipped-# now maybe another user might have the id as #-Link-Snipped-# ??
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    suyash
    Whenever you sign up on the internet on some site that you think may not be safe(or a site which might send you spam),all you have to do is give out the email address as #-Link-Snipped-#

For example if your email id is #-Link-Snipped-#,you can provide #-Link-Snipped-# or #-Link-Snipped-# .You can put anything after the + and all email sent will still go to your gmail account.
    That was of great help.....But can you please tell me how it really works.......??
    Because being an ENGINEER, i think we should know what and how exactly things are being done.......๐Ÿ˜›

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Evolution of the Gaming World What is gaming? Gaming has always been a topic of ridicule amongst the learned people who have considered it as a time pass and nothing...
The Google dream comes true ! P.S.: To see what the google dream was, click here... How it all began... Long since I have traversed (surfed) this vast expanse called...
I don't know why i am posting my personal feelings here but i want to throw out this burden thing from my heart. I turned 20 this year. I was...
CEans, We are now 3K members strong! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ 3K members turning the right screws! Rock on folks! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ Update: 20th August 2007: We are now 4k Strong (We grew by...
[Note: Puzzle, Image taken from https://www.archimedes-lab.org ] In the late 40โ€™s a soldier named Mark entered accidentally a square mined field (point A)... Two friends of him, at the edge...