Avoid Copy-Pasting Content From Other Websites

CEans,

Over the past 6+ years, CrazyEngineers has built its reputation as a leading community of engineers. CrazyEngineers has been built by several engineers like you who've contributed amazing, original content to our website and continue to do so.

It's tempting to copy & paste content from other websites to increase post count and it might even help in few cases; however it does not help our website and community grow. A lot of our members aren't aware of the disadvantages of copy-pasting content from other websites, so I decided to write this special post.

Disadvantages of copying content from other websites-
  1. When you copy content, you are basically stealing someone else's original work.
  2. Pages with copied content do not attract traffic. This means a lot of engineers out there who don't know about our website; will not find it in Google search. We rank #1 in Google for several topics because all those topics are original!
  3. It could be serious & legal issue.
Question: Is 'Quoting' someone same as 'copying'?
Technically yes; and we should avoid it. But sometimes a 'quote' can add value to the post you're making. If you *must* quote something or someone; make sure that you mention the source link (URL) from where you're copying content. Do not use this as an excuse to copy paragraphs of text from other websites.
In some cases, Press Releases from various websites can be copied without mentioning of the source.
Creating original content requires efforts and it's not easy. But copy-pasting isn't the way forward. I look forward to co-operation from all our CEans πŸ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Q: How do I know when I'm not copy pasting content?

Answer: Any content that you type on your own; is original content πŸ˜€
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Nice one!!! πŸ˜€
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    The_Big_K
    Q: How do I know when I'm not copy pasting content?

Answer: Any content that you type on your own; is original content πŸ˜€
    but how do YOU know if it's a copy paste or not?? πŸ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    lovejeet
    Believe me, thats the easiest thing to figure out. πŸ‘ Let us vow to just follow the forum rules and help our community grow.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovejeet
    I've been using Internet beyond Orkut & Facebook for over 10 years now. That means I've 'learned' a few things that a lot people don't know exist.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    The_Big_K
    I've been using Internet beyond Orkut & Facebook for over 10 years now. That means I've 'learned' a few things that a lot people don't know exist.
    πŸ‘ so what those "few things" can be?? πŸ˜‰ but seriously, I mean, by just noticing the strict languages which are commonly used in those sites and which we people don't generally use, or there are some other methods to find those out???
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's easy to find copy. I remember we had called for VoiCE author applications. I hate to say that 99% of them had copied content from other websites and presented it as their own. Unfortunately 99% of those who had sent their applications were all Indians!

Anyway!

The point of the discussion is that copy-pasted content isn't allowed on CE.
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    The_Big_K
    It's easy to find copy. I remember we had called for VoiCE author applications. I hate to say that 99% of them had copied content from other websites and presented it as their own. Unfortunately 99% of those who had sent their applications were all Indians!

Anyway!

The point of the discussion is that copy-pasted content isn't allowed on CE.
    Well... One more point to be noted when posting something on CE. That's great Biggie. This is what Keeping CE on Top of all the forums. Keep GoingπŸ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Until now, it was the 'content' that accelerated our growth. 2012 is going to be special πŸ˜€ . But content will continue to remain an important factors in CE's growth.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I have to work a lot on that front.
    But challenge accepted! πŸ˜‰
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    Good move..πŸ˜€
  • born_star16
    born_star16
    While replying to any question, you can use some content from other site and mentioning the source as well. Like in question answer sites you have the option of putting your source. I know it's always better to use original content but sometimes it is okay if you are putting source as well.

The easiest way to check the duplicate content is: Just copy and paste the content in Google search and rest Google will do for you.
  • lovejeet
    lovejeet
    @bigk- didn't got the answer yet...
    @born_star- and what if we just edit the whole text a bit. in that way googling the content won't help.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    lovejeet
    @bigk- didn't got the answer yet...
    @born_star- and what if we just edit the whole text a bit. in that way googling the content won't help.
    It's through experience that it's become easier to identify copied content. Usually it's Google search that reveals the content. Nothing to do with the programming languages / tools.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    We have done a lot so far for improving our CE ,so guys take this as a positive initiative and encourage other CEans too !!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hackers in China are selling flash drives with less memory than they advertise. The problem is that the hackers change a log file that makes the flash drive think it...
Hello to everyone!I would like an opinion about a future Msc and I couldn't find a relative sub-forum, so I apologize if it is out of topic with the rest...
hey guyz....im EE engineer.. i have been wondering wer exactly i can work as i dont really understand the applications of the following subjects....i like control systems,signals and systems,DSP .....need...
ok, here is the scenario pc1<-->sw1<-->sw2<-->pc2 1)will ping from pc1 to pc2 work?? why? 2)i configure pc1<-->sw1 interface in vlan 100 and sw1's interface to sw2 interface in vlan 100,...
The Government Of Maharashtra, India has undertaken an ambitious project to solve the traffic problems faced by Mumbai; the financial capital of India. The Mumbai Metro project is interesting in...