Available Energy (Exergy) Calculation

I am stuck in between a problem. Part of where I am doubtful is as follows.

400KJ of energy is transferred from a source at 1000K to a 2 kg gas contained in an enclosed vessel. The gas temperature is 350K and atmospheric temperature is 300K. What is the available energy of gas?

The solution is-
1. Calculate change in entropy of gas (ds).

2. From that calculate unavailable energy= 300*ds.

3. available energy= 400-300*ds.

But what I think is- available energy= Energy of gas at 350K+400-300*ds.

where 300=atmospheric temperature.

#-Link-Snipped-# sir can you help?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Since the gas is already at 350 degK, it already has some available energy = 2 x (350-300) x sp.Ht.
    You have added another 400kJ.
    Add this to the above, which should give you the total available energy.

Have I missed something here?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    bioramani
    Since the gas is already at 350 degK, it already has some available energy = 2 x (350-300) x sp.Ht.
    You have added another 400kJ.
    Add this to the above, which should give you the total available energy.

Have I missed something here?
    Yeah, this is what I think too, but the text says do not consider energy of system i.e., (350-300)*sp heat. Calculate from 400KJ.

Will check once again and clear the confusion.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Issue
    Yeah, this is what I think too, but the text says do not consider energy of system i.e., (350-300)*sp heat. Calculate from 400KJ. Will check once again and clear the confusion.
    Usually available energy refers to the energy available above the ambient temperature, since this can be harvested. If this is correct then mCpdelT cannot be ignored.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The rotor of the alternator, does not contain a permanent magnet , but a coil with pole pieces arrangement, which then serves as an electromagnet. but in order to make...
Guys please help me out with this..im searchin for an android project for my final year and this one seem to have caught my interest..i got the vague idea about...
I AM A SECOND YEAR ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING STUDENT I WANT TO UTILIZE MY WINTER BY DOING SOME TRAINING PLZ HELP WHAT WOULD BE BEST PLZ ALSO TELL WHAT TO DO...
HI I am Siddharth Santhamoorthy, doing my BE Electrical and Electronics Engineering in Thiagarajar College of Engg Madurai... I am interested in quizzing, reading manga etc.
If you're a fan of the Google's Nexus series phones, then the good news is that LG Nexus 4 (E960) will be coming to India around November 30. Saholic -...