auto mains failure for final year project

having done good amount of projects in microcontrollers like 8051.
I am good at coding and my favorite subject is power electronics.
I am given a project title by my proff i.e auto mains failure switch and dg set protection.
And he asked us to implement using microcontroller as in industry they use plc though the number of parameters sensed are more there we r going to sense only important parameters.
But i find this project not much innovative as its already implemented more over it is not that challenging.Now there is hardly time i can search for any projects and i have to go with this one as they are going to review our project on 19th october(just the topic). What else i can do for this project?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    disha.karnataki
    not much innovative as its already implemented
    I agree that it looks rather like a dead duck project. You can see one here submitted last year:
    Automation of Diesel Generator set by using Auto mains failure panel | Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award
    Probably you can consider this option. Normally the circuit waits till the diesel set reaches normal operating conditions and then switches on the loads. When th loads are heavy the DG set which is idling suddenly sees a full load and had to adjust to this. Being a mechanical system this can lead to a small delay and dip in voltage.
    Your project can consider using an MC to switch on loads sequentially to avoid sudden loading of the DG set.

Others here may come up with more sophisticated schemes.
  • disha.karnataki
    disha.karnataki
    A.V.Ramani
    I agree that it looks rather like a dead duck project. You can see one here submitted last year:
    Automation of Diesel Generator set by using Auto mains failure panel | Gandhian Young Technological Innovation Award
    Probably you can consider this option. Normally the circuit waits till the diesel set reaches normal operating conditions and then switches on the loads. When th loads are heavy the DG sets which is idling suddenly sees a full load and had to adjust to this. Being a mechanical system this can lead to a small delay and dip in voltage.
    Your project can consider using an MC to switch on loads sequentially to avoid sudden loading of the DG set.

Others here may come up with more sophisticated schemes.
    thank you sir,
    We have planned to install our system at out college as there is a cummins dg set already installed and with no auto on /off feature If they go to buy amf panel then it is costing around 25000inr hence we are going to make that happen using microcontroller because it's costeffective. Along with that as the cummins dg set @ college has a plc embedded which takes care of most of the parameters except auto on /off provision. But, we will be making generator protection also implemeting few parameters like over-voltage,undervotage,overspeeding..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

INTERESTING AND HELPFUL TOPIC PLS ๐Ÿ˜
i just completed my b.tech in ece this year...as my collage didn't provide campus placements because of some collage problems..so what should i do to get a good job??? i...
Research team at Binghamton University (NY State) have succeeded in tweaking the electrical properties of Graphene Oxide. Prof. Jeffrey Mativetsky, assistant professor of Physics along with PhD student Austin Faucett...
Quote: We've all seen that illustration of the primate walking from left to right, starting out as a hunched-over cousin of the modern chimpansee, and straightening up to become a...
Mark Zuckerberg is scheduled to interact with IIT-Delhi engineering students on October 28th. He'll answer questions live from the audience as well as from across Facebook, said Zuckerberg through a...