Attachment for double start thread in lathe

Project Abstract / Summary : The process for making the double start thread in conventional lathe machine is quite time consuming. This is due to cutting the thread by changing the headstock position after the first cut. But in my project, by adding the additional tool post (just opposite to the present one) its is easy to cut the double start thread in one process without changing the headstock position. This also reduces the wear of the tool because the force act on tool is completely reduced to half because of the presence of two tools. This results in increase in tool life.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : Need for double start thread in pipelines is high, but the making process is quite slow. In order to make it simple I choose this topic.
I expect that the future scope for this project is " make the number of thread starts by adjusting the tool post to any angle to do multiple starts says three or four start.

Project Highlights : This project is more useful for small scale industries as well as large scale industries. Because this reduces the time consumption, power requirement to cut double start. Even though the unskilled person can do the double start cut in lathe with this project. so I expect that there will be large need for this project in industries, that's why I think that our project will win this contest

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: National Engineering college
City: kovil patti
State: tamil nadu
Participating Team From: Third Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a Civil Engineering student I want to know how to select a project topic?
A team of 25 MIT students have won the “Hyperloop Pod” design challenge announced by Space X, outlining high-speed ground transport systems that was held in Texas A&M University. The...
SuitX is the VC and government backed company behind this exoskeleton that is set to change the lives of paraplegics for the better. Paraplegics are people with permanent paralysis of...
Apple was granted 35 patents recently, of which one would let them identify fingers hovering in close proximity to the screen but not quite in contact. This patent is titled...
After graduating as an IT engineer (batch of 2008) from Mumbai, Sagar went on to work at Accenture for about 4 years. After that he decided to pursue his masters...