Atomic Number 115 - Existence Of New Mystery Element Confirmed

One more headache to chemistry students. There seem to be periodic additions to the Periodic Table.
The latest is the confirmed finding of a new heavy weight element with an Atomic Number 115.
Christening is yet to be. Hunt is on for finding a name for the latest addition.
Any takers for OOFIUM (One One Five ium)?

Atomic Number 115 - Existence Of New Mystery Element Confirmed | Science 2.0

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Arent all the elements above 100 atomic number tailor made? They are synthesized as we were told by teachers in school. Not sure if they naturally existed. But in this way there might not be any limit to create elements. Make any number you want. Excuse me if it sounds pre mature. M not much into chemistry.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    That is right. Though the number cannot be infinite. Only some atomic configurations can be reasonably stable.
    Man made elements are all radioactive and are usually unstable.

This will give some idea:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Yea that is exact information I knew about. I would like to ask you that when the life line of these super active elements is in milliseconds, what is the purpose of making them. I never came across any type of stuff where any element of atomic number lets say 105 was used. Where are they used. We know they are not weaponized as Uranium is used there.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    "Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?" This question was asked of George Leigh Mallory, who was with both expeditions toward the summit of the world’s highest mountain, in 1921 and 1922 and he gave as the reason for persisting in these repeated attempts to reach the top, "Because it’s there."

Scientists do research because it can be done, because that is their passion and they just have to do it without any expectation of a practical application for their work.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    A.V.Ramani
    Scientists do research because it can be done, because that is their passion and they just have to do it without any expectation of a practical application for their work.

But is it justified to spend millions on such status defining projects? What is the use to make an element with atomic number 115, only because it can be done. there are a lot of things which can be done but we dont dare do it. Its a waste to tax payers' money I think
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Scientists are essentially selfish. They do things out of curiosity. Many such discoveries end up being very useful later. However, that is not in the mind of the researcher at the time of development.
    This is how I conduct my own work. Because it interests me. That it may prove useful is irrelevant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, I feel great pleasure in announcing that my own start-up Energy Labs which is a brainchild of our company Full Circle group is live now. After sleepless nights...
Indian Dream : Conversation between two Americans when Rs. 1 = $ 100 Alex: Hi John, you didn't come yesterday to office? John: Yeah, I was in Indian Embassy for...
When it comes to displays, the South Korean electronics giant, Samsung wants to tell the world that they are second to none. According to Samsung Korea, the company will demonstrate...
My sister @Ankita Katdare shared the following comic strip with me saying it's been made for me. I enjoyed reading it and yes, it does reflect my life in the...
how petrol has low flash point than diesel but on the other hand high auto ignition point than diesel?