assignment of network ID to a host

Hello friends,

What inference can be drawn from the statement "we cannot assign network ID and broadcast address to a host".

In what context is the author talking about?

Replies

• Khezar Hayat
    Khezar Hayat
    Proffy , Author is talking about IP Addressing,
    First
    Network ID cannot be set for host because it identifies the whole network and all the hosts are in it. e.g 192.168.1.0 it is only used for routing purpose.
    Second
    Broadcast address is the address where a host send a message and this message received by all the hosts that are attached to the current network and a specific host is able to reply of this message base on MAC Address.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    subnetting is what you should look into.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Khezar Hayat
    Broadcast address is the address where a host send a message and this message received by all the hosts that are attached to the current network and a specific host is able to reply of this message base on MAC Address.

See with this definition of a broadcast address, why can't a broadcast address be assigned to a host? In order to send a broadcast message to say 10 nodes, all must have the same broadcast address (say Y). So, I believe this Y need to be assigned to those 10 nodes. Its only then that they will be able to receive the message.

Also I believe that these 10 nodes may not necessarily belong to the same network.
    What's your take on this matter?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    IP addresses are unique. Assigning same IP address for more than 1 computer leads to IP address conflict.
    Broadcast address is not a common address that is assigned, its rather a group of addresses to which a packet should be forwarded.
    Broadcast in general is limited within a network. Routers don't forward broadcast packets beyond a network.
    I would suggest you to get familiar with concepts of subnetting and IPV4 addressing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Car manufacturers love to show off their futuristic car designs. Some of these innovative features are even incorporated into soon-to-be-released models. Other concepts may not be seen in production...
I m confused about my aim. while i think a lot. finaly it comes into my mind to startup but i haven't any knowledge about how start actually. From where...
I am final year student pursuing Telecommunication and Information Engineering. Anyone with a final year project to kindly help?
Reliance Jio owned LYF smartphone brand has been rising steadily since its launch. Today it is the fifth biggest brand in the Indian smartphone market. LYF has different ranges of...
Considering the success of the recently launched Coolpad Note 3 it was inevitable that the company would launch the successor of the smartphone in the Indian markets. The Coolpad Note...