Ask questions to Mr. Girish Wagh - the engineer behind Tata's NANO!

CEans,

Before I begin, please be informed that this interview may not happen. Right now I have a mail from Tata Motors asking for the questions. So I'm seeking questions from all of you. You have about 24 hours from now [see the post time] to submit your questions to Mr. Girish Wagh - Tata Nano's leading engineer!

Sorry for such a short notice. I'll try my best to get Mr. Wagh to answer your questions.

Best!

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Q. Nano is the cheapest car in the world right now. With all the inflation and rising prices, how can the Price of Nano be kept at Rs. 100,000? How was the cost cutting done for the car?
    Q. Many people claim that Nano would not be safe on roads. Can you highlight on the safety features of the car?
    Q. Why is the engine placed in the boot of the car?
    Q. At 623 cc, the engine is not that powerful as compared to other vehicles on road and therefore the total speed and acceleration of the car is not that great. But is the car recommended for people living in some hill station. Is the engine capable enough to bear the load of mountain driving?
    Q. Being a small car, can it seat 4 people comfortably and what about leg room?
    Q. Indian roads are famous for their potholes and speed breakers(colony roads). How capable is the car in giving the passengers a smooth jolt free ride?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great questions, Patty ๐Ÿ˜‰ !

CEans, waiting for more!
  • Differential
    Differential
    I don't know if I'm late or what but giving a try !
    1) What all areas are used for cost cutting in NANO??
    2) Does NANO compramises on safety features ?
    3) When is the planned launch date ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've already covered all of the questions above. Our Mr. Editor in chief is in the process of finalizing the questionnaire.
  • pillai
    pillai
    Any chance of Mr Girish Wagh looking at a very sensitive(very low current) dc motor design?May be suitable for a future model of the Nano.The use of mu-metal might make this possible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not sure if he'll take a look at the forums. But if you could start a discussion, I'll definitely request him to take a look.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Is it done..?

If not here are my queries..

1. Nano would be the first car with 2-cylinder gasoline engine and a single balancer shaft. What are the major advantages of that?

2. Mr. Rattan N. Tata said, โ€œI observed families riding on two-wheelers โ€“ the father driving the scooter, his young kid standing in front of him, his wife seated behind him holding a little baby. It led me to wonder whether one could conceive of a safe, affordable, all-weather form of transport for such a family." Don't you think cars with such affordable price will affect the environment, as every bourgeois class would always like to buy a car now?

3. Punch line of Nano is "A comfortable, safe, all-weather car, high on fuel efficiency & low on emissions" Nano would definitely be a super choice over a bike with 60,000 bucks. Then the question is, Bike would give mileage around 40-50 KM/h, and I guess Nano can not match this. Wouldn't it increase the consumption of petroleum products, and would hamper the environment as well?

4. Are we planning for some Hybrid car with such a good technology and price match?

-Crazy ๐Ÿ˜
  • gohm
    gohm
    To meet some concerns addressed here and as mentioned in a previous post, will Tata Motors consider an electric version of the Nano?

Is Tata Motors planning on entering other markets with the nano? If so, what design changes will be in effect to meet the requirements/demands of other markets?

Can you give some examples on how safety features have been designed/improved more cost effective to meet the demands of the Nano project?

How could you see the nano design grow to meet other market niches if successful?

When can we expect a factory sponsored Nano race team? lol ok, maybe leave that out! =)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow, I'm glad we've covered most of these questions ๐Ÿ˜‰ [ Great people think alike! ]
  • pillai
    pillai
    Re the electric version.Electric vehicles use a permanent magnet dc motor/a series motor/a compound motor.....conventional motors all.A battery operated vehicle needs a motor with the least current drain.
    A disc shaped motor with a 'feather weight' very large diameter rotor could perhaps offer the advantage of lower current consumption without compromising on torque.
    Since torque is kg/cm... or kg/M, the cm or M part could(should)be increased WITHOUT INCREASING THE ROTOR WEIGHT.
    Further,electric vehicles normally do away with the 3 or 4 speed gear in the transmission - only electronic speed control.
    I think a geared transmission is justified & must be included.
  • sriramchandrk
    sriramchandrk
    Diwali kept me away from forum.

My question would be:

With current inflation rate would you still be able to price Nano at the so told 1L INR? If yes how is that managed?

Thanks & Regards
    Sriram
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    1. What is the maximum speed nano can touch without vobbling?
    2. As shown on TV nano is bigger then m800 from inside, is it officially a 5 seater?
    3.Finally, as NANO is aimed for families, of 4 may be, Does this car has any bootspace to keep our luggages ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Fellas, the questions have been sent. Sorry for the short notice ๐Ÿ˜” . I hope Mr. Wagh will find time to reply.

We'll continue to do Small Talks in future and seek questions from all of you. Just make sure you don't miss any of these opportunities.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends, I am Shashidhar, need to assemble my own PC . Please suggest me which are all the good parts i can invest on. I have a list of...
CEans, We are the engineers and we make the world a better place. Popular Mechanics recently published list of top 10 engineering innovations of year 2008. Check out the following...
Hello, I am require to write a program module to convert a Hex digit passed to it in the lower nibble of Accumulator A to its ASCII character code. The...
CEans, Inspiration to start this thread comes from watching the following video - Amy B. Smith: 2008 Breakthrough Leadership Award Read the article -> Top 10 Innovations of 2008 -...
Hello everyone. I apologize for such a long post. I'm trying to design a 1000A, DC motor controller. Basically, I'm chopping a 300V battery source into a DC motor, and...