Ask questions to Dr. Stephen Wolfram!

Yep!

It's Unbelievable!

Dr. Stephen Wolfram, creator of Mathematica & WolframAlpha has agreed to answer your questions on CrazyEngineers!

We, however, have a very strict deadline. We'll accept the questions only till Sunday Evening [ June 07, 2009 ].

About Dr. Wolfram: Stephen Wolfram: Official Website
Wolfram Alpha : Computational Search Engine: Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Intelligence
Mathematica: Wolfram: Computation Meets Knowledge

Waiting for awesome questions! Get started, NOW!

Update: We'll collect top 12 questions from this thread. Dr. Wolfram's responses will be published here -> #-Link-Snipped-# .

Replies

• bishalp
    bishalp
    Dr Stephen Wolfram,

I am a student of Power and Control Engineering. Next year is my final year and I got to do a project. I actually want to get into renewable energy and sort of things like that after my studies, so i am trying to work on a project design that will give me an edge over other students in that feild. What I want to know is, do you think its a good idea at all to build a sort of controlable robot that generates energy out of its own mini hydroplant built on it. Do you think its a good idea!!
    please tell me if you have got some better or modified ideas for me.
    thank you
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    bishalp
    Dr Stephen Wolfram,

I am a student of Power and Control Engineering. Next year is my final year and I got to do a project. I actually want to get into renewable energy and sort of things like that after my studies, so i am trying to work on a project design that will give me an edge over other students in that feild. What I want to know is, do you think its a good idea at all to build a sort of controlable robot that generates energy out of its own mini hydroplant built on it. Do you think its a good idea!!
    thank you
    Do you really want to ask such a question?
  • kirankumartk
    kirankumartk
    question to Dr. Stephen Wolfram

sir,

i would like to know how LAPLACE TRANSFORMATION started😕......

And in real life, where are we using its application........

As we say integration is joining of parts and differentiation is making of part, wat can we tell abt laplace transformation?😒
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, can we ask questions relevant to Wolfram Alpha & Mathematica.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Q. What is the difference betwenn a normal search engine and a 'Computational' search engine?

Q. How "Wolfram|Alpha" works?

Q. What were the ideas that lead to it's development?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Q. What makes Mathematica different?
  • me.gr8
    me.gr8
    Sir,

First of all congrats to the launch of the wolframalpha.com. Its awesome site.. and i have already worked like an advertisemet for the site.

Sir, How did you come up with such an idea to launch a website.? and also how do you get the exact information of each and every city in the world. i tried many of the less known cities and still you search gave me results.
    Also the temp. Humidity and every thing..

once again i want to thank you for this awesome site.
  • kousalya
    kousalya
    I would like to know mini project idea of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
    Please give the idea project for the speah to text and vise versa.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kousalya
    I would like to know mini project idea of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
    This is really embarrassing. 😔

For project ideas, go here - #-Link-Snipped-#

Sensible questions, please. Engineers? 😕
  • sangee
    sangee
    hai sir,
    I'm a student of electronics and communication engineering doing my 2nd year. would like to do a mini project,but dont have any idea.please give some ideas on what to do(recent trends) and how to strat with it.please guide me sir...........
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    bishalp
    Dr Stephen Wolfram,

thank you
    kirankumartk
    sir,

i would like to know how LAPLACE TRANSFORMATION started😕......

And in real life, where are we using its application........

As we say integration is joining of parts and differentiation is making of part, wat can we tell abt laplace transformation?😒
    kousalya
    sangee
    hai sir,
    I'm a student of electronics and communication engineering doing my 2nd year. would like to do a mini project,but dont have any idea.please give some ideas on what to do(recent trends) and how to strat with it.please guide me sir...........

I think these guys deserve an award for asking the most relevant and best questions in a thread.

@Biggie: I have many ideas for it. The budget is $200 if I am not wrong. Is there any machine that forces people's brain to think before they speak. Also a session with the optician so that they may see clearly.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I knew this would happen. Don't act like losers, guys.

It's rarest of the rare opportunities brought to you by CrazyEngineers. Don't waste it. I hope you all appreciate the efforts that go behind bringing you such opportunities.

Few hints on what you can ask -

1. The concept of computational search engine.
    2. The wolfram alpha architecture. How it works.
    3. How does Wolfram Alpha use Mathematica to do the computing.
    4. About Mathematica, its creation etc.
    5. Next steps for Wolfram Alpha.
    6. What's next big thing from Dr. Wolfram?

Think! Use your brain!
  • adhi shankar.r
    adhi shankar.r
    😁i want to know about the transmission lines
    The_Big_K
    Yep!

It's Unbelievable!

Dr. Stephen Wolfram, creator of Mathematica & WolframAlpha has agreed to answer your questions on CrazyEngineers!

We, however, have a very strict deadline. We'll accept the questions only till Sunday Evening [ June 07, 2009 ].

Wolfram Alpha : Computational Search Engine: Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Intelligence

• mddeepthi
    mddeepthi
    hi
    i am a student in my third year. i have been selected as projects head for thermal stream . i am expected to give project ideas related to thermal stream. please suggest some ideas or some sites i should search
    The_Big_K
    Yep!

It's Unbelievable!

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    these guys are asking for Project ideas !!
    I think they come to know about this thread via admin's email to all members 😀
  • hituwithastick
    hituwithastick
    hello sir! i m student of computer technology and i would like to ask you about software requrenment in your company,i would like to do big project for that,so plz tell me software requrements in ur company!
  • yoonhong
    yoonhong
    Dear Sir,
    1)why

∆f(x, y)= λ∆g(x,y)
    where
    λ is the langrange multiplier
    can you show me the proof?
    thank you in advance😉
  • RandyXi
    RandyXi
    Dr Stephen Wolfram,

Good day… I’ll describe my project I’m working on and if you can guide me along my project and will Mathematica help in this project,

• Project Info: It’s an Earth Resistance meter that will acquire analog data transmitted to the earth and receive to be plot in the computer using application capable of plotting the data into 2D to almost 3D, where as I’m using Multisim and OrCAD to design the electronics to Transrecieve different range of voltage, current and frequency to and from the earth on a large land mass, I’m also using Mplab to program into the circuitry, I know about NI, and Matlab, but I need a program that could be able to do what I want, the aim is to scan a large area of land and be able to view in 2D/3D, for example, if there’s oil, water, an open space (air pockets) metal, iron, rock, plastic, hard or soft soil, etc… you will be able to view is, the receive data will be consist of
    • 1- phase shift (when scanning deeper into the earth, all 2, 3 and 4 will be changing in fix rang higher or lower on there parameters)
    • 2- show a discrepancy in amplitude (to determine the object size)
    • 3- show a discrepancy in frequencies and harmonics (to determine the object texture)
    • 4- time domain ( time delay monitoring of data send and receive, to determine the object distance)

From 1 to 4, the data that will be acquired, will be process from analog to digital for the use of plotting, and I will like to know more about Mathematica and if you understand what my project is about, if I made it clear to you please ask for more info if not understood, thanks

Charran Sinanan
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    What brings you create wolframalpha? is there any interesting incident?
  • rasia
    rasia
    i'm an electronics and communication engineering student and need ur kind advice on whether choosing "3D TV- Implementation using digital holography" as a seminar topic would be OK or not?................i also want to know whether image mosiaking can be implemented using knowledge of image processing?......can i get more details on the arm processor too?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I feel like deleting these posts. Or a better idea why not start a thread titled "The Worlds Stupidest Posts" and move all these "Help me with project" etc posts there.

Are these people really engineers. How were they even able to crack the entrance examinations if they cannot read and understand the meaning of this thread and what type of posts are expected.
  • aniket.mone
    aniket.mone
    Sir,

Are the new rules of logic upon which computation can be based radically different than conventional logic? Or is it an extension of Conventional Logic + something else.

How to explore more about the new logic from a programming or automation point of view?

Highest regards,
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • aniket.mone
    aniket.mone
    raj87verma88
    I feel like deleting these posts. Or a better idea why not start a thread titled "The Worlds Stupidest Posts" and move all these "Help me with project" etc posts there.

Are these people really engineers. How were they even able to crack the entrance examinations if they cannot read and understand the meaning of this thread and what type of posts are expected.

Hi Raj,

I'm not sure if I posted correctly by replying you as I'm using CE the first time.

My message is here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Please re-post if it is in wrong location. It is a reply to #-Link-Snipped-#

And yes, thanks to u and CE for this opportunity.

Best,
    Aniket
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Aniket, you question is 'GOOD'. Don't worry. Hopefully it'll make it to top 12 questions.
  • myc261
    myc261
    Just visit the wolfram site and its very interesting..
    i have some questions..
    Admin if you like the question than post it else delete it.

1. Your search engine is based on which technology??? like google, yahoo etc. whats the difference??

2. Does your software replace many other mathematics software for higher and complex calculations, like matlab??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    myc261
    Just visit the wolfram site and its very interesting..
    i have some questions..
    Admin if you like the question than post it else delete it.

1. Your search engine is based on which technology??? like google, yahoo etc. whats the difference??

2. Does your software replace many other mathematics software for higher and complex calculations, like matlab??
    Good questions. We are welcoming all relevant questions.
  • aniket.mone
    aniket.mone
    The_Big_K
    Aniket, you question is 'GOOD'. Don't worry. Hopefully it'll make it to top 12 questions.

Many Thanks. Actually I have many questions, but thought that I should not spam the post! If I get reply to this question , I'll be lucky

Best,
    Aniket
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dr. Wolfram won't be answering the questions in this thread. We will pick up top 12 questions and present them to Dr. Wolfram. We'll publish his response in our Small Talk -> Link -> #-Link-Snipped-#

So, post all your questions.
  • shreyassaxena
    shreyassaxena
    congrats sir for your awesome work.......
    not getting to point sir actually I am working on a research paper which requires your mathematical knowledge .
    My basic idea is the Magnetic fields of lines of a magnet are a type of family of curves constrained by the laws of magnetics and say if I get two magnets close to each other then two family of curves will intersect and we can find out general coordinates of the point where the two curves intersect,now if I am able to find out a general equation of curve passing through these points I will get the resultant magnetic field of the two magnets and if this method is used in 3-D vector space then a curve can be a magnetic field can be visualized..
    sir i require your help regarding how can i get a generalized family of curve from a generalized set of points assuming i know one fixed point through which the curve passes.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm..

Google uses indexes and a crawling mechanism to search for information from millions of servers.

Though we understand that Alpha uses computational algorithms to return results ,its obvious that even Alpha needs to do a similar mechanism to first extract information and then apply computations right?

So how does Alpha achive this?
    As well, computation can be considered as extra step so how is it that the response time is optimized in this effort of bringing up relavant results?
  • zaki_whiz03
    zaki_whiz03
    sir,
    i am a 3rd yr. mechanical engineering sutdent. I want u to help me out for selecting a project for an industry oriented mini project and the major project....
    and what are the booming streams in this field.. also i want u to advise me for selecting the subject for my masters programme..
  • zaki_whiz03
    zaki_whiz03
    plzzz can some one tell me how to use mathematica....
  • kkowuko
    kkowuko
    Hello,

Good day Dr. I am a student of an Communication Engineering Student who will be completed next year. In line with this I will be grateful for your assistant in my project work. I will want to do it in all aspect of Communication.

I am in Ghana, West Africa. I will be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks.

Kofi Kokuro Kwateng Amaning.
  • durga ch
    durga ch

* Guys, we understand you all are very tensed about your college projects. and hence CE has exclusive threads to answer your queries .
    For heaven's sake DONNOT post you project queires here *

This is a request!!!
  • sneha priya
    sneha priya
    Respected Sir,
    I am an engineering(electronics and communication engineering) and student studying in India. I want to know if there is any exam to make me a globally recognized engineer. I want to work in Japan, since most of my relatives are there. so i would be glad if you could tell me what i should do to get a good job in Japan.
  • RandyXi
    RandyXi
    Dr Stephen Wolfram,

Good day… I’ll describe my project I’m working on and if you can guide me along my project and will Mathematica help in this project,

• Project Info: It’s an Earth Resistance meter that will acquire analog data transmitted to the earth and receive to be plot in the computer using application capable of plotting the data into 2D to almost 3D, where as I’m using Multisim and OrCAD to design the electronics to Transrecieve different range of voltage, current and frequency to and from the earth on a large land mass, I’m also using Mplab to program into the circuitry, I know about NI, and Matlab, but I need a program that could be able to do what I want, the aim is to scan a large area of land and be able to view in 2D/3D, for example, if there’s oil, water, an open space (air pockets) metal, iron, rock, plastic, hard or soft soil, etc… you will be able to view is, the receive data will be consist of
    • 1- phase shift (when scanning deeper into the earth, all 2, 3 and 4 will be changing in fix rang higher or lower on there parameters)
    • 2- show a discrepancy in amplitude (to determine the object size)
    • 3- show a discrepancy in frequencies and harmonics (to determine the object texture)
    • 4- time domain ( time delay monitoring of data send and receive, to determine the object distance)

From 1 to 4, the data that will be acquired, will be process from analog to digital for the use of plotting, and I will like to know more about Mathematica and if you understand what my project is about, if I made it clear to you please ask for more info if not understood, thanks

Charran Sinanan
  • aadi_trivedi
    aadi_trivedi
    can u help me?? i want to design a java enabled web server as my major project?
  • ericlp
    ericlp
    Dear God, I mean Dr!!! hahaha

Got any openings for a network / computer IT person! 😀 I'll move and do it! hahaha

Thanks!

Hey you did ask for questions right? Sorry if this is off topic or totally inappropriate but what the hell. I might as well be asking Santa for a job.
  • bishalp
    bishalp
    raj87verma88
    Do you really want to ask such a question?

cant you reply??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm watching this thread hopelessly. Here's recent addition. Someone sent me a question through mail.

How to partition the memory in order to install fedora????
    God save these 'so called' engineers.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    Cool I was looking for this opportunity from the day this Search Engine was launched. Alright here are my questions.

Q1:

We humans dream something then we try to create it and from many many years or decades ago we carried a dream for a "Super Computer", which we believe will exist one day and will know the answer to everything. What I see is that "Wolfram'sAlfa" is on it's way of becoming something similar in a long term project. I want to ask that if one day you are able to collect systematically all proper technical knowledge available till the date then the at that day, will "Wolfram'sAlfa" be anywhere equal or better to our dream of supercomputer? And if not then how will it be different than that?

Q2:
    I wanna know about your near future objectives regarding Wolfram Alfa?

Q3:
    Today we are getting massively dependent on computer technology and in last 100 years we have come a long way in computer technology field, thanks to this we have some great things like mathematica. But I want to have your opinion that how do you think this dependence on computer technology is gonna affect our future generation?

wow can't wait for his replies. Thank You CE for this wonderful opportunity. :smile:

Friends please stop humiliating yourselves by asking question on your projects.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    First of all, Wolfram Alpha is great. It's a new approach towards web and I welcome it. Thanks very much. And I do have a few questions..

1) Following suit, now Google has it's own type of an Answer Engine called Google Squared.
    What are the similarities and differences between wolfram alpha and Google squared?

2) Could you tell us something about your business model? ie, Google gets revenue thru it's ads. How does wolfram alpha make money??

3) All these can be seen as a step towards making the whole web into a single large database. With the ever growing size of the web space, do you think it'll be feasible to try to build and maintain such a large database?
  • uetian
    uetian
    I would like to ask from Dr.wolfram that what is most important and frequent use of matrices in of daily life.
    thaks
  • magreztron
    magreztron
    Owwh, what disappointed me... As a Doctor, you shouldn't be arrogant in answering every question...
    😔😔😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good to see 'good' questions here 😀

We'll be closing this thread in next 14 hours.
  • mahesh_b95
    mahesh_b95
    Dear Sir, (stephan wolfram)

i am having a question on how to write a program so that it recognises the grain boundaries form a 2D image as a input.and the out put is the numerical value of the grain size, kindly do reply

thank you
  • theneupane
    theneupane
    In my final year B.E. project , i am gonna try to make a project that converts speech to text......so i request you to please help me for this project....where should i start and how?????i have no idea??
    The_Big_K
    Yep!

It's Unbelievable!

Update: We'll collect top 12 questions from this thread. Dr. Wolfram's responses will be published here -> #-Link-Snipped-# .
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Wolfram Alpha is the new budding huge electronic almanac with vast scientific calculations wrapped under its belt. Feeling grateful to get this opportunity, I want to ask the following questions:

1.) What is Wolfram Alpha according to you and who is its target user?

2.) Sir, What made you think of such great thought? What were the challenges in front of you to implement this?

3.) What does computational aspect of things or computational knowledge really mean? How does Wolfram Alpha employ this?

4.) What is the massive data it is pulling from and how does it produces its results?

5.) Sir, please throw some light on the infrastucture of Wolfram Alpha and the powerful servers behind Wolfram Alpha? Is the Supercomputer architecture different from that used by other search engines, if yes then how?

6.) It has been said that Wolfram Alpha will get refined and become more and more vast in the future. So, what can we see the next big thing potentially coming down the line from Wolfram Alpha?

7.) Sir, I read somewhere that Wolfram Alpha uses more than 50,000 algorithms to provide the relevant results. Can you tell me about the categorisation of the use of these algorithms, that is where and how these algorithms are used at different steps in Wolfram Alpha?
    How have you ensured that the time complexity remains minimal ( that is, one gets a quick response ) inspite of so much computations involved in every search?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    1) Wolfram Alpha, can answer questions that have never been asked before, provided the data to create the answer exists in its corpus of facts and figures. This idea is an unique idea, what were the major challenges you face while inculcating this is Wolfarm Alpha?

2) A real challenge for Alpha is processing complex or long queries, there's always a great chance of getting a lots of "artificial stupidity" queries. What are the basic challenges you faced to maintain the processing power of Wolfarm Aplha sevres, when millions of users hitting the servers with obscure requests?

3) Right now by looking at the "Wolfram Aplha" it looks like this is designed to use by the tech savy world only? Do you have plans to launch it for non-tech savy world as well?

4) Microsfy is going to launch "KUMO"; Yahoo, Google are already there - eating more then half of the search engine market. However all of these search engines are free; Wolfram is very different and advance then each of them. Do you have plan to launch a paid version of Alpha?

-cb
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    1. How is the internal knowledge base of the WA structured? And what are the plans to build it further?
    2. When do developers get to peek under the hood?
    3. How is user generated content curated into the internal knowledge base?
    4. Is the data curation available as a separate API for developers - without the need for asking an input to generate computations. I mean to ask, can third party devs use only the data curation as a stand-alone technology.
    5. Can everything be answered through computations 😀 (@Biggie - leave this as an aftermath, even I do not know how to answer this)
    6. Can user generated content be fed into WA's knowledge base?
  • bishalp
    bishalp
    The_Big_K
    Good to see 'good' questions here 😀

We'll be closing this thread in next 14 hours.

close it now....
    my inbox is constnantly getting meseages due to this thread
  • 9001Abhi
    9001Abhi
    i am 3rd year student i want to do summer training.i like design.so which training is better for me?suggest some company?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Engineering students asking for project ideas. Are you INSANE? I just wrote something for you on my blog. Read it here -> #-Link-Snipped-#

@ Bishalp: Check the mail. There 'unsubscribe' option.
  • ashish_tamrakar
    ashish_tamrakar
    Sir,I have completed my Engineering course from my country(Nepal) and now I'v been in australia for 8 months for good career but Im studying here diploma in IT.But, I want to study master in civil engineering ,I don't have enough fund to study master and i dunt have good work so that i can work and able to afford for master fees.can U please advice me that is there any scholar programmee in australia so that it will be beneficial for me?And I really want to Be in my field.Please give me a good suggestion. Thank you
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Ashish - you want to ask THAT to Dr. Wolfram? The creator of Mathematica & WolframAlpha?

Unbelievable!
  • ravali
    ravali
    Dr.stephan,
    i have finished my 2nd year of engg....and my stream is electrical n electronics.....i wud like u to suggest me few topics for my mini project and the main project....am interested in d field of power systems......kindly suggest me the related topics....am not aware of topics yet.since am in my 2nd year.....!!!
  • chetansunray
    chetansunray
    dear sir,
    thanks for giving me your valuable time to answer my quastion.

Iam going to manufacturing a plasic injection moulding machine having capacity of 1127 Grm.
    So tell me whate is the basic calculation and it formula for calculating
    1. size of hydraulic cylinder for injection, for toggle force ...
    2. how we know the motor H.P. to drive the pump?
    3. how to calculate the hydraulic pump capacity?
    4. how to calculate hydraulic motor torqur and its diaceplacement?

please guide me .

chetan
    =====================================================
    The_Big_K
    Yep!

It's Unbelievable!

• kashish0711
    kashish0711
    The_Big_K
    @ Ashish - you want to ask THAT to Dr. Wolfram? The creator of Mathematica & WolframAlpha?

Unbelievable!
    😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

rofl

these guys are crazy lol😁
  • chetansunray
    chetansunray
    dear sir,
    thanks for giving me your valuable time to answer my quastion.

Iam going to manufacturing a plasic injection moulding machine having capacity of 1127 Grm.
    So tell me whate is the basic calculation and it formula for calculating
    1. size of hydraulic cylinder for injection, for toggle force ...
    2. how we know the motor H.P. to drive the pump?
    3. how to calculate the hydraulic pump capacity?
    4. how to calculate hydraulic motor torqur and its diaceplacement?

please guide me
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Alright folks. We'll be closing this after about three hours from now.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, i want to detect the status of process running in the system using visual c++. i have visual studio 2008 in windows 7 rc. i have the basic knowledge...
IJCSIS Call For Paper International Journal of Computer Science and Information Security IJCSIS – July 2009 ISSN: 1947-5500 Vol. 1, No.2 Original papers are invited in the area of computer...
Hai, i am a 3rd BTech. student and my branch of study is Electronics & Communication Engg. I have a vacation for about 1 month(29 days) from now, can anyone...
Hello I have problem at my final project (I’m studding electronics engineering) My project is attendance using voice recognition using MATLAB I used LPC as a feature extraction; my problem...
The news of Professor Rajeev Motwani's untimely death on Friday afternoon spread quickly throughout the couple of hundred attendees of tonight's TechFellow event in San Francisco. The mood of the...