As the density increases,what happens to the velocity of the sound?

We all know that the sound travels faster through solids and then liquids and then through gases.
As far as i know solids are the medium through which the sound travels fast.

But in some websites I saw that as the density increases , the velocity of the sound decreases.If this statement is correct , how come the sound travels fastest through solids (since they have higher density) ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Source: Speed Of Sound

From this it is clear that not only sound as compression wave But also in the form of Shear wave travels in Solids

This makes it easier for sound to travel with higher speed in solids
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Conqueror
    Source: Speed Of Sound

From this it is clear that not only sound as compression wave But also in the form of Shear wave travels in Solids

This makes it easier for sound to travel with higher speed in solids

But there is no source in your post 😕
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    I got a doubt.
    Does sound travels in the form of shear waves only in solids , but not in the liquids or gases?

Also in the source also they mentioned that the lower the density , the higher the velocity of sound as in case of compression waves.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah you are correct

Shear waves are produced only in solids and not in any other medium That is why we have different speeds in solids and not in Gases and liquids

True in a particular media like Gas the speed is dependent on the density of air in that region

But not while comparing Different media like water or solid through which air can travel as well

Eg:
    Velocity of air for humid air is different from STP condition and can be verified by this #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    Now its cleared that though the velocity is inversely proportional to density , due to elasticity the velocity of sound is faster in solids (technically).

Generally solids have more density and more rigidity than liquids.But in case of water and solid ice , the solid ice is less denser than the water.It doesn't change the fact that sound travels faster through solids.But I want to know the difference in the velocities of sound in both cases.

I mean are there any differences or special cases between the velocity of solids with higher density and lower density?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The acoustic velocity can alternatively be expressed with Hook's Law as
    c = (E / ρ)1/2

This eqn holds good for all three media Solid gas and liquid

E= Bulk modulus

ρ= Density of the material

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I know that actually sound needs a medium to travel.So , it does not travel though vacuum. My doubt is there are many astronauts in space.Space is a vacuum.So sound...
Hey all. Please try and attempt the following SQL queries Suppose you have a binary tree structure represented as in attachment 1.jpg Suppose the details of the figure in attachment...
Are these two similar in any nature? I heard they are not But they are having almost similar coding blocks I know that Embedded C is used predeterministically for Configuring...
While interviewing some candidates, I found them talking more about their certifications than interests. There was this guy whom I interviewed who started saying "I am Sun certified Java professional,...
I am creating a pictorial tutorial for dual-boot of Windows & linux, I however found a way to save the screenshots from live images to cloud storage, but I also...