Are Written Examinations Justified?

Finally my month long exams have ended, and I'm left wondering. I'm given 3 hours to write so many answers which is not totally based on my knowledge but mostly on my memory.

To a question I have written all the points relevant to it, not going around with the active and passive voice thing to make the answer look bigger. But I don't get marks for answers which are to the point. Teachers tell me that I didn't write enough, and after showing them the answer from my textbook, still they say there's something missing. The question paper may specify that the question has maximum marks of 6 or 7 marks but the ones who check your paper that they haven't given anyone above 5.

I have never been able to solve this mystery about what do the moderators actually want from an answer. The stupidest incident I had was when my teacher told me that if you haven't taken an extra supplement, you haven't written enough.

Writing in exams is too much to remember. I'm a slow writer and usually I'm not able to finish writing all the answers. So does this disability decide my future? Do the written exams really test your knowledge about a certain subject? According to me objective questions are the best since they test out your conceptual knowledge, but no one wants that. Really confused!

Replies

• Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Don't worry too much about the marks - your LEARNING would define your future in the long run.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    These things use to happen when I was in school.Teachers pressurizing on writing long answers or word to word copied answer in tests.Most of them not valuing precise ones!Ok,faced it.But then I realized that same thing is followed in college as well including engineering colleges.
    That is one among other reasons why we blame the Indian education system.
    Excelling this art might help you score "good marks" but is quite a waste in the long run(reason why most of the top-scorers don't perform much well in aptitude tests).
    So don't treat as a disability but achievement that you are wise enough to notice the distinction😀
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Yes, upto an extent the written exams are justified. especially in India where technology is not yet at a point where online exams can happen at each and every level. Questions with tick mark (with only one correct answer..) have an element of luck in them; and questions with multiple answers are termed as more difficult.

So Educational system is left with the only left answer as: written examination.

However, reasons that are given to you were horrible. 😁 NO one can help it, It happen at times. Don't dishearten yourself, these things are not going to decide you future. Still I would suggest you to Shape up, pace-up or keep your self modified as per the surroundings.

That's the best way to win the race.

-CB
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Marks are just for satisfaction. Learning can never end with exams or degrees.

However, there are some companies that judge a group of people before they hire them in a team. We need people of all categories to work in a team. Too many cooks spoil the broth, so we need waiters, cleaners, and sous-chefs, and people for cutting, etc...you get the picture. The question is - what if your marks are low, or your essay isn't sweet enough - can you still cook?

The basics get instilled in some way or the other through writing. That's all that matters. Whatever you do, do your best, and success will be yours - eventually!

And don't judge yourself with another person; you are what you're at best - or maybe you're just getting better! Keep sharpening your sword, no point in having one otherwise!

P.S.: I recommend you all to watch The Apprentice Asia programme on AXN - a must watch for all freshers!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am working on MS Access and have got a problem in making queries....... i have two fields debit and the opening amount now in order to get the result...
With NASA trying really hard from quite a few years to find water on the surface of Mars, they have been collecting real good proof over the years. To add...
TechSparks always has been the biggest startup event there ever was in India and this time they look bigger. With sponsors like Microsoft, Intel (Software), Cisco, Sequoia Capital, .COM/.NET, GoDaddy...
What kind of mortal is unaware of the fascinating world of Harry Potter and who is he that is not guilty of woolgathering of the wizardly world. In the Harry...
I seldom see a technology or engineering news coming out of India - and most of the stuff we tend to write in our technology & engineering news blog is...