Are RESERVED SEATS for SC, ST and other minorities justified?

Some reputed colleges, whose cut-offs are mostly between 170-180, have their seats filled by students from minorities with a meager score of 60-70(out of 200).
Students scoring 150-170 loose their chances of admission. We, of course don't have anything against the so called minority students. We want students to be awarded seats on the basis of merit.

Now, DR BABASAHEB AMBEDKAR drafted the constitution of India keeping in mind the conditions back then in the immediate post-independence era. SC and ST were among the downtrodden. He intended to give these people their rights. Conditions and circumstances have changed now. People have become more tolerant than before. When introducing some one, a person is introduced by his name and profession rather than giving out details of the caste he/she belongs to. After all a person's character is determined by his abilities, capabilities and decision and not his caste or financial condition.

Instead of giving them reservation privileges, government should try to uplift this people financially and try giving them proper basic education so that they don't need this reservations and compete with other members of the society fair and square. So everyone will get equal opportunities to prove themselves.

This won't happen overnight. But we need to take the first step. Implementing the RTE Act was really a big step.๐ŸŽ‰. Hope it shall not fail.

What say CEans? Please correct me if I am wrong.๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar implemented this with good intentions which was actually just exploited as now. To achieve a balance, he just wanted this to stay for 10 years but the politicians, in greed of securing votes just extended it.

Its absolute injustice to reserve the seats for categories. The seats must be allocated on basis of merit only. The scholarship to them should be there for sure, may be additional financial aid as well but there should be no reservation in the seats. This could be viewed as in favour of backward class student but its just doing extreme injustice to open category students.

The scholarship should also be strictly given to the people who actually need it. Unfortunately I've seen people riding Royal Enfield Thunderbird, living in a bungalow and showing the annual household income as less than Rs.60K to get the scholarship. This is actually the fraud done against the poor backward category students because their funds are being divided to the people who don't need it.

And at the end of the day, the machine which you'll be repairing will not say, "Oh, SC student, lets get repaired by self" or "Ah, Open category student. I won't get repaired this soon.". All will depend on your skills and knowledge.
    Due to reservation of seats, its highly possible that a deserving open catagory student doesn't get a chance to shape his knowledge better which some non deserving student get this chance and in turn just waste the learning.

No offense or disrespect is intended for anyone. All I want to say it, help them in such a way that it does some good to them, but also take care you don't hurt others in doing this.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    He implemented it, To promote education among SC/ST. But now, most of them started knowing the importance of education. Instead of giving reservation, The government can give free education.

Secondly, There can be change is the system of reservation rather than considering the SC/ST, We can consider financial with the family.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Without the corrupt politicians who continue to divide people on the basis of cast, education would be available to everyone, free of cost without needing any reservation. It's the British way of ruling - divide and rule and it's sad that Indian politicians still follow what British did to divide the country.
  • Ekta Sharma
    Ekta Sharma
    The_Big_K
    Without the corrupt politicians who continue to divide people on the basis of cast, education would be available to everyone, free of cost without needing any reservation. It's the British way of ruling - divide and rule and it's sad that Indian politicians still follow what British did to divide the country.
    Politicians again!๐Ÿ˜’
    Politics has ruined India. It has always succeeded in raising its dirty head, thanks to the honorable politicians. Its seeds were sown much before independence. And now the tree is blooming. Its black roots have trapped everyone. I guess only education,educated and well aware people can raze this dirty head.
    But again, it turns out that this topic is only a coffee time gossip,the moment the coffee gets over, the topic gets evaporated. Wish same could have happened to the roots.
    People who want to do something don't know from where to begin, and people who don't want to do anything, simply don't do anything.๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Even the education system was corrupted to produce clerks and the definition of 'progress' was shrunk to 'copying the west'. If education needs to be reformed - it must be adopted to make the all-rounders. Offering education in local languages is the need of the hour. India's mindless obsession with English isn't justified - and that's one reason why there are so many engineers who can't even construct a proper sentence in English.

PS: I'm one of them.
  • Ekta Sharma
    Ekta Sharma
    The_Big_K
    Even the education system was corrupted to produce clerks and the definition of 'progress' was shrunk to 'copying the west'. If education needs to be reformed - it must be adopted to make the all-rounders. Offering education in local languages is the need of the hour. India's mindless obsession with English isn't justified - and that's one reason why there are so many engineers who can't even construct a proper sentence in English.

PS: I'm one of them.
    True. Most institutes have used local languages as their 1st language. But at a certain point, students of this institutes find themselves landed in a soup. Because educational and professional courses like engineering, use English as their main language. Now, these students are as talented as students from English-medium institutes. But the language makes them uncomfortable and soon becomes a big barrier for them.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I studied in vernacular medium for a long time and it was a general belief that the kids in English medium schools were smarter than us because they could speak in English and we couldn't. They'd play in English, laugh in English, fought in English and we'd be impressed by them.

Those who insist on education in English may visit Israel and discover that they teach Engineering and Medicine in Hebrew. Visit Germany and find that they hate English. Visit China and discover that they employ translators to do business with rest of the world. Language does not come in their progress.

...and trust me, their engineers are 10x better than most of the Indian engineers ๐Ÿ˜€ . Nothing personal about this; but my general observation.
  • Ekta Sharma
    Ekta Sharma
    The_Big_K
    I studied in vernacular medium for a long time and it was a general belief that the kids in English medium schools were smarter than us because they could speak in English and we couldn't. They'd play in English, laugh in English, fought in English and we'd be impressed by them.

Those who insist on education in English may visit Israel and discover that they teach Engineering and Medicine in Hebrew. Visit Germany and find that they hate English. Visit China and discover that they employ translators to do business with rest of the world. Language does not come in their progress.

...and trust me, their engineers are 10x better than most of the Indian engineers ๐Ÿ˜€ . Nothing personal about this; but my general observation.
    Wonder why India is planning to imitate only the infrastructures. Its high time people start respecting the rich Indian culture.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Let's make it mandatory for the politicians and their families to be attended to by a SC/ST doctor.

I know, wishful thinking ๐Ÿ˜”
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    The_Big_K
    And this is something we cannot do anything about. Not because politicians are corrupt, but people are so much dumb that they gets manipulated very easily. Someone just present some old scenario in the other context and people will be like "OMG! So much injustice is done to us." . Wisdom has just disappeared from the people. They do not like to think of their own. They hate the people whom they never personally met or talked, but hate them because they belong to some other category than theirs.

These reservation of seats are actually seizing the progress of the category students because they know that they are required to put very less effort to secure marks just enough to move their career. They would never put their whole efforts while the student with no reservation would give his best & despite he didn't got the admission, in my eyes, he'll have more knowledge against the student who got the admission. Again, no offense intended, but because of this methodology of government, the government offices are itself filled with all unwanted and lazy people. These people are just there to warm their seats, nothing else.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What did the British do? They created 'employees' and made them slaves by controlling their money supply in the form of salaries. They effectively used Indians against Indians. The agitations were controlled by 'Indian Police'. If anyone has time to go through the Indian Police Act (is still being used by Indian Government, it offered right to offence to the police and no right to defence to the people). So effectively a handful of British officers controlled a large number of Indian slaves and made them act against the Indian citizens.

That's exactly what's happening in India at the moment. The government controls media, text-books, engineering admissions, salaries and so on. It enables them to control everything!

Reservations is just a weapon politicians are using to divide people, like the Brits did. People are divided in the interest of gaining benefits and ignoring the nation's interest. Common people don't understand this. Those who resist it are put into jail.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    please don't oppose reservaion ( i am not beneficiary)

as this is the way DALITS/SC/ST don't get converted into cults like chrisitnaity

this is political actually
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    i bet, reservations will never go from india

even in 1990's when VP SINGH implanted this ( the real reason were something else, again POLITICAL and COMMUNITY UNITY)

what was the party of upper castes doing BJP?

even BJP never oppose these reservations.

so it is better to ask reservations based on ECONOMY

which PVN ji wanted to implement, but he was opposed
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    No opposition to
    rk rao

even in 1990's when VP SINGH implanted this ( the real reason were something else, again POLITICAL and COMMUNITY UNITY)

so it is better to ask reservations based on ECONOMY

which PVN ji wanted to implement, but he was opposed
    No opposition to the scholarship & economical help that is being given, but there shouldn't reservation of seats i.e. manipulation in the merit.

Again I would say, do something this is beneficial to the needy, but make sure you don't harm other in doing that. Its not like an Open category student is no poor. In fact, many of them are very economically backward. They are not given any scholarship on top, they are not even allotted a seat which they well deserve. Isn't this injustice to its extreme?
  • graphite
    graphite
    Reservations based on ECONOMY agreed but based on castes disagreed.
    Reservations totally based on ECONOMY will take time to implement in INDIA as it depends upon the politicians.
    For a moment don't think of politicians, If I belong to a particular caste and I get all the benefits due to reservation though I'm capable intellectually & financially both then I think we should deny those benefits and give those benefits to other my fellow friend which belongs to same caste as of mine and who is not financially capable. By this way we can help our friends and slowly we can start helping others.
    But it's hard to implement practically.
    So we've to wait till the day when reservations are totally based on Economy.๐Ÿ˜”
  • graphite
    graphite
    rk rao

Talking about upper castes parties BJP again here comes politics as they were also benefited in the form of votes from people belonging to lower castes. So they never opposed reservations.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    graphite
    Reservations based on ECONOMY agreed but based on castes disagreed.
    Reservations totally based on ECONOMY will take time to implement in INDIA as it depends upon the politicians.
    For a moment don't think of politicians, If I belong to a particular caste and I get all the benefits due to reservation though I'm capable intellectually & financially both then I think we should deny those benefits and give those benefits to other my fellow friend which belongs to same caste as of mine and who is not financially capable. By this way we can help our friends and slowly we can start helping others.
    But it's hard to implement practically.
    So we've to wait till the day when reservations are totally based on Economy.๐Ÿ˜”

castes are reality of indian society.

look at political parties in the nation

barring the exception of congress and BJP, all are caste based only

RJD -> YADAVS

NCP -> MARATHAS

DMK -> TAMIL KAZGHAM

the list would never end.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    graphite
    Talking about upper castes parties BJP again here comes politics as they were also benefited in the form of votes from people belonging to lower castes. So they never opposed reservations.

BJP is a BANIYA PARTY(not people here and for BANIYA class person, this party is always labelled as BANIYA'S PARTY BJP)
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    it is not helping friends or my or your homework.

My friends, ye ZINDAGI hai, na ki FILM

politics is entierly different.

yeha to koi bhi kisi ka saga nahi hai

yes, in indian politics, castes are reality and they do matter

even to win election, the caste based votes, even the religious votes also matter.

which ends in 3 hours with some cheesy dialogues.

like helping my friends and all.

And all friendship will have some selfish reasons

Read chanakya niti then, you would understand.

reservations,castes are realities of indian politics.

we cannot escape from it.

woh kahaani nahi padi, ek lakeer choti thi, usko bada karo?

in akbar's court

what did birbal do, he drew a line larger than the existing one.

same applies here
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    [Prototype]
    No opposition to

No opposition to the scholarship & economical help that is being given, but there shouldn't reservation of seats i.e. manipulation in the merit.

Again I would say, do something this is beneficial to the needy, but make sure you don't harm other in doing that. Its not like an Open category student is no poor. In fact, many of them are very economically backward. They are not given any scholarship on top, they are not even allotted a seat which they well deserve. Isn't this injustice to its extreme?

i lost my FMS Phd seat due to reservation

yet i want these reservations to be here.

increase our potential, thats the only way.

in democracy, the count matter.

right now, dalits/SC/ST have huge population they would always receive the benefit.

moreover, in india, minorities have more rights.

at least our DALITS don't get converted with this

the chrisitan missionaries and mullah scholars always wait to pounce them and convert them. this is the reality of india.

and what's more, virtually, all the forwards castes/class were asking for resevations

even jatt/gujjars and brahmans in rajasthan

long time back, jains/baniyas

it would never go
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    see, my case

i cleared written of IIIT-Bangalore, no reservations, no coaching.

regular 2 hours studies.

thats it.

education in india is in a mess.

first thing is to get it correct.

Watch the ARAKSHAN movie, which PRAKSAH JHA has made.

He has hit the right button.

GOI must improve basic,primary and school level education.

Also, the infrastructure and resources must be increased.

GOI failed there, which is the first step.

To cover these failures, reservations increased.

This cycle would continue as it is a vicious circle.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    rk rao
    i lost my FMS Phd seat due to reservation

yet i want these reservations to be here.

increase our potential, thats the only way.

in democracy, the count matter.

right now, dalits/SC/ST have huge population they would always receive the benefit.

moreover, in india, minorities have more rights.

at least our DALITS don't get converted with this

the chrisitan missionaries and mullah scholars always wait to pounce them and convert them. this is the reality of india.

and what's more, virtually, all the forwards castes/class were asking for resevations

even jatt/gujjars and brahmans in rajasthan

long time back, jains/baniyas

it would never go

We're here no to hate any caste or anything. I think you're diverting the topic. Please present yourselves in a little social way in non offending manner. Its clear from your posts that you're angry on something but see, its not their faults alone.

You cannot deny the fact that injustice is indeed done to them in back days. The reservation was started with some other vision, but it just landed to some different platform as of now.

In back those days, the backward classes were not allowed to be studied together with higher class students. Later when this was fixed, it was found that, in addition of them being poor, since their parents are not literate, they lack proper guidance hence its not fair to drag them in competition with higher class rich people who had a lots of guidance and coaching.

But then, I would still blame the people of India for their dumbness & manipulative attitude.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    [Prototype]
    We're here no to hate any caste or anything. I think you're diverting the topic. Please present yourselves in a little social way in non offending manner. Its clear from your posts that you're angry on something but see, its not their faults alone.

You cannot deny the fact that injustice is indeed done to them in back days. The reservation was started with some other vision, but it just landed to some different platform as of now.

In back those days, the backward classes were not allowed to be studied together with higher class students. Later when this was fixed, it was found that, in addition of them being poor, since their parents are not literate, they lack proper guidance hence its not fair to drag them in competition with higher class rich people who had a lots of guidance and coaching.

But then, I would still blame the people of India for their dumbness & manipulative attitude.

it is not hatred

i have written the reality of politics

i don't hate anyone

as i have said, that dalits/sc/sts don't get converted

if this is the way to prevent conversion, then it is ideal.

This is the reality of india.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    "You cannot deny the fact that injustice is indeed done to them in back days. The reservation was started with some other vision, but it just landed to some different platform as of now.
    "

if you also belive the literature of britishers and progressive writers that

injustice was done with them

then reservations are the way to give justice to them.

Because i know the truth about those so called injustice.

But leave it now,

reservations will not go

better to increase our potential,instead of cribbing.
  • rk rao
    rk rao
    "I think you're diverting the topic. Please present yourselves in a little social way in non offending manner. Its clear from your posts that you're angry on something but see, its not their faults alone."

what is there to be angry

and if reservations are there, then castes have to be there

because reservations are based on castes only, no one can deny it.

yet it is not their faults

it is no ones faults.

Rather i am happy, that such reservations have stopped all conversions.

in SC/ST

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys how many of you know that there is a research that is going on in MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY under the guidance of NOBERT MULLER, on the "DISC GAS...
Is there any simple inverter circuit that can be efficiently employed in a UPS(not in production scale).Im currently using a Johnsons counter(4017b)and an 555 timer to drive the MOSFET and...
network analysis seems to be broader than what we call as circuit theory, but why is name given as circuit theory????
Recently read... This article is from a famous magzine TECHTALK, serving MIT community..Do read this- Research could free cellphones, portable electronics from wired charging.. Last year MIT physicists presented one...
Apple has reported that their latest released OS X Mountain Lion, has set a sales record. Apple announced on Monday that that Mountain Lion had scored a record download over...