Are 'Passwords' Dying? How Secure The 'Passwords Of Future' Be?

There were days when Internet used to be a lot simpler. There would be web pages and simple email services that would let you in after you entered your username and a 'password'. The password would be made strong with the use of cases, alpha-numeric key combinations mixed with special characters. But in the last few years (or months), the Internet has evolved a lot. You no longer can rely on simple text-based passwords for security. Paypal's CTO believes that the days of your regular passwords are numbered and the world will soon have to adopt a combination of hardware+software based user authentication.

passwords

What this means is that it might become a 'norm' that you will have to use bio-metric or iris scanners to add an extra level of security for your Internet accounts. From what I read on various sources on the Internet, there's a lot of research going on, on Internet account security mechanisms.

This thread is about discussing passwords of the future. What advances do you expect and how will they replace the traditional textual passwords?

Replies

• Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    something like face recognition or finger print recognition.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    The Bcrypt algorithm in one of your posts ensures that password is not broken very easily , at an average it would take at least a year or two to break in.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Gandalf
    The Bcrypt algorithm in one of your posts ensures that password is not broken very easily , at an average it would take at least a year or two to break in.
    Well, there are several ways you can keep on encrypting existing passwords. What if you simply install a 'keylogger' on your machine? Maybe we'll need a way to secure our keyboard inputs as well.

What say?
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, there are several ways you can keep on encrypting existing passwords. What if you simply install a 'keylogger' on your machine? Maybe we'll need a way to secure our keyboard inputs as well.

What say?
    yes using a key scrambler , virtual non standard keyboards will solve that as used by banks in net banking now, since they are random difficult to detect , may help
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Encrypting will help for now, but as the technology advances, soon we have to look for other alternatives, imagine, if we were in 2001 or so, we would be talking about using alpha numeric characters and symbols, now in 2013 we are searching of ways to become more secure and thinking of using face detection and figer print matching, iris verification or even something like heart beat detection so as to ensure the person is actually real authenticator...

Later around 2030's I think we would also be using voice recognition, some special image matching and other things.

In short as the technology is advancing, we are adding more layers of security to our accounts, simply because, hackers are also advancing.

I think in future, just to check a mail also, we have to pass around 8-10 layers of security (minimum) which would take around 5 minutes. #Serioustimewastage but #HigherProtection.
  • lal
    lal
    Later around 2030's I think we would also be using voice recognition, some special image matching and other things.
    In 2030 it would be DNA matching 😁
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    lal
    In 2030 it would be DNA matching 😁
    That's why I mentioned , Various Other Things, and It would take us about 10 minutes just to Log In, all will be Trolled 😛
  • lal
    lal
    Who knows! may be the whole concept of passwords will be replaced. Think of carrying a solid key 😁 Just like opening any other real life locks, put the key in a slot on CPU and turn; even turning in a particular pattern for added security! And Bingo, sign in! ☕
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    lal
    Who knows! may be the whole concept of passwords will be replaced. Think of carrying a solid key 😁 Just like opening any other real life locks, put the key in a slot on CPU and turn; even turning in a particular pattern for added security! And Bingo, sign in! ☕
    Imagination ran Wild !! 😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone here heard of Honeyword passcodes here? Security experts have proposed a simple way for websites to better secure highly sensitive databases used to store user passwords: the creation of false “honeyword” passcodes that when entered would trigger alarms that account hijacking attacks are underway.

Via : #-Link-Snipped-#

We need to discuss the security of the databases that have passwords saved as well. 😨

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Last year's Computex event was preceded by the video teasers. ASUS left no stone unturned in making sure that we all get goosebumps by seeing the trailer to the event....
An Anonymous contributor to Windows NT Kernel wrote a fantastic & honest reply acknowledging this problem & reason behind this. I am quoting some of his reply which I found...
What is the difference between static and stagnation properties involved in any thermodynamic cycle ? for example , what is meant by static pressure and stagnation pressure ?
Dear Friends i am working on the following topic: 'Prediction of tool and chip temperature in continuous and interrupted machining' using the finite difference method now i have the partial...
Finally, a big win for the linux enthusiasts! The ISS (International Space Station) has decided to ditch their old Windows XP laptops in favor of Debian powered machines. This move...