Are paper presentations useful?

is it a advantage if we do paper presentations in afiiliated colleges??and for doing presentations in IIT's and NIT's should we have to do our own research work or just an internet source?

Replies

• grsalvi
    grsalvi
    advantage for what placement ???
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    yes, in interviews etc..
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    For placement,
    During technical round they might ask either
    -about your BE project (mostly ,ppt not asked).
    -or they ask you to tell your strong subjects.
    -or they ask based on your PPT topics(doesnot matter where you gave PPT)

More ever many companies (Mostly IT) keep Group discussion round.You have to speak in front of many people so PPT preparation helps in removing stage fear.

My suggestion -

Give 2 or more (as per interest ) but just dont compromise alot with course studies in joining number events.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Paper presentations are day to day activities in every IT or any other Industry you must be in a position to express the problem and the possible solutions to it in your presentation

This requires both info and research on your side to excel
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess we've answered this question in depth before, but I'll answer this question again for the benefit of all our readers. Are paper presentations useful? The answer is yes and no.

The aim of paper presentations is to make students read, learn and understand about the latest technologies, developments, researches, their applications in real life and equip them with knowledge of what's happening in the industry. But the way most of the students take it as a 'sure shot' way of impressing the interviewers and having something to add to, otherwise empty, resume. They go on searching for ready-made power point presentations and PDFs so that they can copy it, modify it and present it as their own. While that's 'okay' to some extent, the purpose of the paper presentations or presenting a seminar shouldn't be lost.

If you decide to present a seminar or a presentation, make sure that you pick up the topic that is very interesting. There's ample information available on the Internet that you can read. If you have problems understanding anything - there are always places like CrazyEngineers that can help you.

In order to present a paper you will -
    • Have to collect information from various sources on the Internet
    • Understand the topic and present your own views / ideas as well.
    The point #2 above will require some 'research' on your side which is not a very big deal if you pick up an interesting topic for your project or seminar. While preparing the presentation, first introduce the topic, explain it and make sure that you include your own inputs, thoughts, ideas, possibilities, applications etc. You don't have to worry about being 'right' all the time; but your first duty is to make sure that you've understood the topic well.
    If you can do all of this - then the paper presentations are useful. They'll be useful everywhere; in your work, in your interviews and maybe during your conversations with others.
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    thank you big_k , but for doing paper presentations in iit's should we have to do our own research work ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    m.vivekanandan
    thank you big_k , but for doing paper presentations in iit's should we have to do our own research work ?
    I answered that - your own research is required; but it need not be very 'sophisticated'. Most of the college-level paper presentations are meant to make students aware of the new technologies because most students don't tend to read anything that's out of their syllabus and not a part of the curriculum.

But, remember that we're talking about college-level paper presentations. If you're presenting a paper at a national conference or an international summit, you might be expected to present something 'new', that's not a common knowledge. In such cases, you'll be required to conduct your own research.
  • m.vivekanandan
    m.vivekanandan
    doing my own research means bringing out a new technology?? or presenting any PHD works of my professors which i helped them?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    m.vivekanandan
    doing my own research means bringing out a new technology?? or presenting any PHD works of my professors which i helped them?
    Not always, you see; but it all depends on which conference you're presenting paper at.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Since virtual box is open source..To modify the source code of virtual box which language should be used?
Few years ago, Apple's iconic CEO, Steve Jobs announced to the world that they've invented the 'touch-screen' and it's going to bring a revolution to the way users interact with...
I believe road construction is one of the important topic that falls under the civil engineering department. I decided to search for the latest technologies being used in road constructions...
As you can guess, I'm getting very curious about the road construction technology. I stumbled upon an old article that talked about usage of "Zycosoil" Nano-Technology in road construction. The...
I was thinking about the instant booting operating systems and the first thought that popped up in my mind is that given the speed of RAM; what if we store...