Are modular phones 'the next big thing' in mobiles?

Think of a modular phone as a set of your Lego Bricks - you just fit them into each other, add a power brick and the phone starts working. What's cool is that you can keep upgrading the phone infinitely and things will work together magically. Say a 4K display comes out - simply detach the screen module and replace it with the latest 4K display module. A new processor in the market - simply remove the processor module and put a new one. The concept sounds cool - and big companies like Google are already working on it through their Google's Developer Conference On Project Ara Scheduled On April 15-16.

This debate is about modular phones being the next big thing in mobile or say mobile computing (includes laptops, tablets, phones, wearables et al.). On the plus side - you will always have access to the latest stuff in tech without having to upgrade the entire phone. This may also lead to reduced e-waste.

On the minus side, it's going to lead to obsession. Right now; the budget keeps me from buying a new phone just to have a brand new 2K display. I believe in the longer run - people will end up spending a lot more money in any given time-span than they are currently.

Do you have arguments on either sides?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Ok. First of all like most of CEans here, I really want to feature Dave Hakkens of Phonebloks to features on CE Small Talk.

For the uninitiated, do take a look at this video to find out why these people are working on Project Ara -

From what I am reading, the - the base unit, known as the "Gray" phone, will cost just $50. And if you remember the time, when all of us used to have assembled PCs at home - the configuration of our choice - Google's Project Ara could do just that to our smartphones.

Users will be able to buy additional modules to add the features they want to the back of the phone.
    For example, a user interested in photography can plug in a better camera, while a gamer can plug in a faster processor and motion sensors.

You get, what you need! - and the concept is just mind-blowing!

The best part that I can think of is the letting go of the grief that follows when the company launches a slightly better version of the smartphone you bought just a couple of months back.
    Smartphone manufacturers like Sony and HTC are well-known to release too many versions of the same phone with slightly different specifications. This is quite a headache for the consumers as they just can't decide - to wait or buy right away.

Just buy a gray phone and keep adding those extra features as and when they arrive. No need to throw the old phone in your drawer and wait for the new package to arrive.

We have to wait till 2015 start to see the launch of this smartphone.
    I believe that the modular phones are the next big thing, but the only thing that worries me is the price point. I hope they don't make it too costly.
  • VVikash
    VVikash
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Think of a modular phone as a set of your Lego Bricks - you just fit them into each other, add a power brick and the phone starts working. What's cool is that you can keep upgrading the phone infinitely and things will work together magically. Say a 4K display comes out - simply detach the screen module and replace it with the latest 4K display module. A new processor in the market - simply remove the processor module and put a new one. The concept sounds cool - and big companies like Google are already working on it through their Google's Developer Conference On Project Ara Scheduled On April 15-16.

This debate is about modular phones being the next big thing in mobile or say mobile computing (includes laptops, tablets, phones, wearables et al.). On the plus side - you will always have access to the latest stuff in tech without having to upgrade the entire phone. This may also lead to reduced e-waste.

On the minus side, it's going to lead to obsession. Right now; the budget keeps me from buying a new phone just to have a brand new 2K display. I believe in the longer run - people will end up spending a lot more money in any given time-span than they are currently.

Do you have arguments on either sides?
    i think it should replace the Tablets..
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I see modular phones as younger brother of Desktops. Way to go

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you use Google Chrome on your iMac or Macbook; you will have noticed that a small bell icon appears in the OSX menu bar. While it's a harmless little...
Longaccess, a Greek company found by Panayotis Vryonis, is offering an online "time capsule" that stores users' 100GB data for a long period of thirty years - and not even...
Certifications are official proof of the skills you poses. They certainly add to your key strengths when you apply for a job. I want to ask all the experienced members...
Can someone offer insights on the advantages and disadvantages of using uBuntu server and CentOS for web hosting? I've been trying to find information online; however it looks like there...
To best prepare for your Microsoft 74-325 exam,you can get the online free practice test to study for your office 365 74-325 exam,you can get the link below to download....