Are mild steel tanks suitable for storing phthalate plasticizers like DOP?

DOP is a plasticzer used to make PVC soft.I wish to know from fellow CEans, having chemical engineering expertize, if DOP can be stored in ms tanks without any rust contamination inside the tank.The exterior of the tank will be painted with ant-corrosive epoxy paint.😕

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Di Octyl Phthalate is sold in bulk in iron drums. MS tank should be suitable. However, I would suggest that SS, Polyethylene or poly propylene be used. The containers must be air tight sealed. Ingress of moisture should be prevented.
    Since DOP is combustible, it may be advisable to have a nitrogen blanket above the liquid level to avoid fire hazards.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Yenyen
    Yenyen
    bioramani
    Di Octyl Phthalate is sold in bulk in iron drums. MS tank should be suitable. However, I would suggest that SS, Polyethylene or poly propylene be used. The containers must be air tight sealed. Ingress of moisture should be prevented.
    Since DOP is combustible, it may be advisable to have a nitrogen blanket above the liquid level to avoid fire hazards.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Hi! Bioramani,
    Thank you for your suggestions regarding the different materials of construction available for storage of DOP plasticizer.I appreciate your quick response to my query.
    Regards,
    Dr. N. Nanda Kumar
  • ben11c
    ben11c
    Mild Steel Tanks are very well suited for storing phtalate plasticizers

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anybody guide for the m tech admission, i have completed my b tech in electrical this winter but my degree is in 2nd class so want to do m...
using any number of zeros only by applying any mathematical symbols among zeros how to bring the result 720
Engineering Trade : Computer - Software Engineering Occupation: Student Work Experience: 1 year internship as QA Test Analyst and Associate SW Engineer Hobbies & Interests : Living life to the...
The science until now has not provided with a concrete evidence about the existence of a cosmic force, a god or a creator if you will. But billions like to...
Hey Anyone, I've tried my luck everywhere and finally turned here. For my B.Sc SW Engineering project, I thought of doing a voice code plugin for VS. In that when...