Are Mechanical/Civil/Electrical Engineers not keen about computers?

At CE, we see a dearth of discussions related to Mechanical/Civil/Electrical trades of engineering.

Though we have some of our prime enthusiastic CEans from the above 3 branches, we still don't have as many as to build a community that truly encompasses all kinds of engineers equally.

One of the reason for this might be that, the Mechanical/Civil/Electrical engineers are not inclined towards spending time on computers & internet, since that is not their core branch of study. (at least in Indian curriculum)
It might also be the case that, the engineers from these branches do access internet, but are unaware of the concept of forum.

What do you think about this? And how can we bring all these engineers to CE?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I have a suggestion. We can rope in our our facebook friends. I told most of them They registered here. But however they are not active. Let us hope they are active after exam.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    you are right akd. actually most of the CEans in these trades have just registered and not returned and think this is not their place. i think we have only one best solution. make CE the hub of all the information that these engineeers will be searching for. then they'll have to learn to use the forum the way it should be. also when we send the CE newsletter we can put in stuff about the increase of activity or something like that. just something that will make even the old CEans return.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    i have a answer here many of my friends are thinking computers are not related to electrical group as i am from electrical but in my view for controlling purpose many were using controllers in computers but those are not known to outside
    and many of my friends dont know even how to copy and paste but they are getting almost 80 percent this is going on they are thinking only reading and knowing subjects does all
    so i am always opposing our educational systems because we are not concentrating on practical experience
    now a days i noticed that many are thinking only percentages but not subject
    so we have to do something regarding this
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Computers/Internet is not the part of core branches in curriculum, but life without them is impossible.
    We HAVE to bring engineers from all trades to CE. They are unaware of the limitless possibilities an engineering community has. They are unaware of all that lies beyond the subjects, but related to their field apart from their regular study.

As ishutopre suggested, we should bring Facebook friends of our trade to CE. To do this, send a private message to them with a link to a popular thread from your trade section of CE. Use your words to write something about an all engineers community, that they might feel appealing.

@CP: Any suggestions regarding bringing more Civil Engineers? You and Maria are doing nice job in starting new threads.
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    We have a publication in our school so maybe I can write something about CE. By means of this CE/ME/EE students from my school s will be informed about CE.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Maria: That would be great. Do let us know what you are writing. πŸ˜€
  • maria flor
    maria flor
    AbraKaDabra
    @Maria: That would be great. Do let us know what you are writing. πŸ˜€
    Sure... Our college has a group in facebook, where the members are students from my school...I'll inform them too.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hmm. Why don't we have a DIY group as suggested by praveena at CE? I think it would attract lot of people. We can have it as a sub section in each branch section.

Example: a subsection in CS: DIY CS which may have things like-> "How to create a window"

or in mechanical DIY It may have something like-> " How to build a small toy car" or something like that?
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i think if we continue to contribute threads to the civil engineering section, more will join in too. one of my friends who was not doing much contribution to the technical section has now joined us posting so much after seeing all the threads. i think the slow progression is also fine... as far as there is progression. πŸ˜‰

lets do what we love to do in CE. discuss the technical stuff. i'm sure more people will realize what they've been missing these days and join in. πŸ˜€

@maria: that a nice thingπŸ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @CP: Yeah. I just checked and there are only 115 threads in Civil Engineering Section. That calls for a lot of scope for new information being poured in about your field.

@Mechanical Engineers: Go to this thread : #-Link-Snipped-#
    I am sure you can bring in a lot of value and take back a lot of things too..
  • freak16
    freak16
    People from core branch do not find any or find less good stuff from net (free). Yet there are sites like NPTEL or more Where they can find some good fodder But they prefer to be in their books only (If the person is really intereted in Core). This was the case with me also. But when i joined CE , My perspective has been changed. Core people also can gain and share knowledge.
    I therefore invited many of my classmates to CE. Few joined yet some didnot try their hands yet on CE. And others not active.
    Lets wait when will they break this shackle.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    freak16
    Core people also can gain and share knowledge.
    I therefore invited many of my classmates to CE.
    That's good Freak. I have observed that when you tell someone personally about CE, they are more likely to come to the forum, register and be active. For eg: Praveenscience, ishutopre, dileep, maria's friends etc.. Word-of-mouth publicity has worked for us always.

We hope to see more core branch people on CE in the coming days..
  • nerdy_me
    nerdy_me
    I think CE provides a good and concrete platform to all the engineers irrespective of their trade to put up their views by all odds. But there is always a scope of improvement so we can captivate engineers by stuffing the data which they actually want.It can definitely give a more reliable thought to them to become active and a significant increase in CEans can be observed.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Clubhack magaizne's issue 15 is out. Dedicated to Browser security. Checkout ClubHACK Magazine for articles The PDF version can be downloaded from https://chmag.in/issue/apr2011.pdf In April issue following articles are covered:-...
[video=youtube;XzmkhKBqNYo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzmkhKBqNYo&feature=grec_index[/video] He is a crazy engineer at 14. 😲
Prof.Anupam Basu, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the Rule Based System in Artificial Intelligence. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......
Prof.Anupam Basu, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the Semantic Net in Artificial Intelligence. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here... [video=youtube;RTmafl2rzEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTmafl2rzEw&feature=bf_next&list=PLE051420C2068DCB2&index=18[/video]
Prof.Anupam Basu, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Reasoning in Semantic Net in Artificial Intelligence. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask...