Are IPL Matches 'So Needed' In India?

The Indian Premier League is a professional league for Twenty20 Cricket championship in India. It was initiated by the Board Of Control For Cricket In India, headquartered in Mumbaii.The UK-based brand consultancy, #-Link-Snipped-#, has valued the IPL at $4.13 billion in 2010. It was valued at U$2.01 billion in 2009 by the same consultancy.

In India, just for the entertainment game show, we are getting this much of money and on the other hand, still people die because of hunger in this same country.
Is this a good scenario and really needed for India now?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    IPL is just an entertainment business; like any other business. Biggest brands and companies in India use it as a platform to promote their names. I do not follow cricket much, so can't comment more. The only thing is it shouldn't connected to 'people dying of hunger'. If that's the case, then should India really spend taxpayer's money on launching satellites in space?

The world is run by few mighty private corporations; not by the people who appear to be in-charge.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    If that's the case, then should India really spend taxpayer's money on launching satellites in space?
    I feel launching satellites is something a betterment for India in the field of space. But for entertainment show?

more over, there is another name for IPL matches, It brings young talents in India 😑.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    aarthivg
    I feel launching satellites is something a betterment for India in the field of space. But for entertainment show?

more over, there is another name for IPL matches, It brings young talents in India 😑.
    It actually does. And i agree with Bigk. You can't connect it to people dying of hunger. Yes , there is a lot of money involved, but it is also giving employment to lot of people like groundsmen, flag makers, face painters. We have so many players who cant play in international top 11 team. They have a new platform to prove themselves. Everyone is making money and yeah i dont think there is government involved, its the franchise's money and they are using it. They might spend this money on buying teams in EPL(English Premier League), its a good thing that they are investing in our country only. And dont get me started on how much foreign money and international exposure we are gaining. Its a profitable thing, which is giving money to both, players and government.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    If the IPL is entertainment show then other games too.
    I feel there is nothing wrong with IPL until there is a fair game is going.Its just another format of game to enjoy it.
    still people die because of hunger in this same country.
    Its beacause we don't take resposibilty to do things which make better place or you can say, force the government to do right thing. and I am one of them.
    Recently I see in news that, this year MP produce record amount of wheat but farmers don't have storage and wheat is getting waste. State govt. is bleming that center is responsible for lack of storage.what the hell is this😑.
    After few months the same wheat price will rise no one can do anything.
  • aNaN
    aNaN
    i dont think IPL is a sport. It is a business strategy, solely aimed at making profit
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    haha I think the thread is become political and more inclined towards "Where should taxpayer's money be spend" πŸ˜‰
    #-Link-Snipped-# The satellites are launched in space keeping in mind the long term aspects. They are important for
    1. country's defense
    2. Aiding farmer's in agriculture, through weather reports etc.
    3. To sustain entertainment industries for keep going the economy etc.

#-Link-Snipped-# IPL is not so interesting. I have not watched a single match of IPL since its inception (IPL 1). I only follow it through friends and sometimes headlines of newspapers.
    It is more of an entertainment business.

Even so, Indians love cricket because it is hammered on our brains since childhood. We should give chance to other sports too πŸ˜€

IPL lacks that passion and energy seen when matches are organized between countries like India-Pakistan, England Australia πŸ˜‰

I am unable to understand whom do the people come to see?
    1. Cricket match
    2. Cheerleaders

I think option 2 😨

Sports (cricket) in general is just reduced to this-😑
    [​IMG]
    and this-

[​IMG]
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    If this same IPL matches are conducted for game like hockey( who have won highest medal for Olympic for India), Is it possible to get such a huge profit???
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    aarthivg
    If this same IPL matches are conducted for game like hockey( who have won highest medal for Olympic for India), Is it possible to get such a huge profit???
    Well, there was a tournament for hockey, same like IPL named WSH (World Series Hockey). And if i am not wrong, it was quite popular too, obviously not same as IPL but i am sure people made profit out of that....πŸ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Talent is not business, business is not talent but they are only co-related. A person who's talented must be credited and we'd chosen money to credit talented people. It's in every sector. IPL is just having more number of talented players with lot of people ready to encourage their talent. Imagine what will happen if same kind of league - conducted on football or any other - it'll not definitely get same kind of response. IPL getting money because more people are watching and people are watching because they're getting entertained and because they're addicted to it but I don't think people are able to watch those cheer girls and those money transactions, which will be happening behind the scenes.

IPL is broadcasting just a sport which will be watched by many people. Lot of people gets entertainment through it and that's it - time will pass. All the money will add value in some form or other for the country or for the person investing. If asked about - People dying of hunger and all this money? well, an average software engineer gets 35,000 and (might) spend all in one month, which is annual income of many families.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    on the whole i think IPL is a mere waste of money , time and energy. it is more like gambling. it has great disadvantages , if you should know. the only way the public can discourage ipl is by not watching it.(though i do not know whether our watching or not watching makes any difference to the cricketers, and their team owners, when it comes to earning)
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Pensu
    Well, there was a tournament for hockey, same like IPL named WSH (World Series Hockey). And if i am not wrong, it was quite popular too, obviously not same as IPL but i am sure people made profit out of that....πŸ˜€
    Its quite good to know about itπŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Been studying computer networking and came across these terms. Whats the difference between switch and hub?
An anti aliasing filter is analog or digital filter?
Has anyone checked this out? Truly amazing. Enter the site Http://showmystreet.com/ and start typing in any address in the world and see the way the programme reacts as the address...
Dear Engineers, I'm facing a laptop overheating problem. the problem details: - the laptop shuts down automatically after some while of hard processing (e.g. matlab , antivirus); - the fan...
gyz plz sombody help me out here; my question is: i want to connect a smart phone(wireless connection) to a pc in LAN.. plz suggest me what kind of hardware...