Are Gaming Consoles Dying?

Die-hard gaming console fans get furious at the thought of gaming consoles dying and being replaced by equally or much more powerful mobile gaming devices. I personally love Gaming Consoles and believe they'll continue for a long time, but the technology updates may just make them go out of business.

Gaming consoles used to be quite advanced in terms of their technical (hardware) configuration as compared to other types of gaming devices. A dedicated machine for gaming would let you play graphics intensive games with ease and offer a 'full gaming experience' on bigger screens. In terms of what they offered to the games, gaming consoles were much advanced.

Note - I said 'were'. Because the recent advancement in electronics has led to our mobile devices having more computing power than the computers we owned only a few years ago. Gaming consoles can't follow those hardware enhancements just as quickly as possible, because there's a whole ecosystem around gaming console that needs an upgrade.

For example, it takes years of development for any gaming console to get ready. By the time it gets ready, the GPU and CPU technology is already advanced. Plus, the game developers take months & years to develop a game that extracts the most out of current gaming platform. Those games take time to keep up with the hardware & firmware enhancements.

I'm envisioning a new type of gaming systems to evolve in near future. Your mobile will bundle as the gaming console and joystick. You will just connect your mobile with your TV through Wi-Fi and your mobile will start streaming the gameplay directly to your TV.

I'm quite sure in future your gaming consoles will find a place in your pockets. Do you agree?

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have read many tech blogs on cloud gaming, On-Live & GaiKai developers are moving ahead at great pace.
    I think after an year, maybe sometime between mid'13 cloud gaming will be at peak.
    This will surely end the era of consoles and also physical disks, according to On-Live you have to buy an On-Live device which is size of your palm,there are some input/output slots for connecting joystick & video output; just connect it to desired monitor or screen - turn on the internet & game on, geek!

This is something different than what biggie is talking about, I think there is to be an intermediate gadget between joystick & video output gadget to make this work.

Anyhow, I still like old-school consoles, because I love collecting games.But I do support cloud gaming as the online bought games by you will stay in your account & can be accessible anytime.But hey you can't make some thirsty asses jelly (-_-)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am last year student of ece (b.tech) and i want to learn about automation (plc,scada & dcs) in 6th month training. which type of training is better in industary...
Anonymous has hacked IT minister Kapil Sibal's website. The photo uploaded on his website, kapilsibalmp.com shows him playing KBC and answering the question "Which of the following is harmful to...
Sirs and madams, i'm an engineering student from the philippines and i'm a bit confused on what would be the perfect topic/prototype/project/thesis for my final year. Can anyone help me?...
Dell had promised to ship the XPS model installed with uBuntu operating system and has now launched it with a price tag of $1549. The uBuntu version that ships with...
Bollywood Actor Dino Morea is also a businessman who runs Crepe Station in Mumbai along with his brother Nicolo Morea. While Mr. Morea hasn't made it 'big' yet in Bollywood...