Are engineers destroying our planet or building a better one?

This debate is scheduled on Sunday, May 12, 2013 between 3-4 PM (IST). The thread will remain closed until the scheduled time. Please read announcement for the details.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This debate will accept contest entries until 4:00 PM today. Make strong arguments to ensure that you win! 😀
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Any attendance for people who are participating?
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Yes, engineers are destroying our planet ,
    by making innovative machines we are disturbing the natural balance by causing deforestation , Sea life by finding oilfields in the sea bed and hence harming aquatic life
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    We are to be blamed for causes of Global warming , Nuclear weapons inventions which have created a threat to all living creatures on our planet Earth. What have engineers as human beings brought into the system to maintain ecological balance of our planet ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sir, Is it an Open Round, ?? We are free to present our points..?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sir, Is it an Open Round, ?? We are free to present our points..?
    Yes, it's going to be a fully open round. Blow it!
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# i think you should also participate , at end of day we would contribute better content to the world and i think that our mission, rather than just the prize or gift voucher
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We'll participate once the debate is over. Now back to the topic, please 😀 .
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Good Evening Respected Jury Members and my dear CEans, well, According to me, Engineers are constantly working hard to build a better world, bringing all of us closer to the world of technology.

Engineers have done a lot in every field, to give an idea, how important Engineers are to the society, we can just imagine if there were no Engineers, then we would be stuck in the past, and would have never evolved past our ability to be in the Stone Age and hunting like a Cave man.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    Good Evening Respected Jury Members and my dear CEans, well, According to me, Engineers are constantly working hard to build a better world, bringing all of us closer to the world of technology.

Engineers have done a lot in every field, to give an idea, how important Engineers are to the society, we can just imagine if there were no Engineers, then we would be stuck in the past, and would have never evolved past our ability to be in the Stone Age and hunting like a Cave man.
    In architecture terms , we cannot recreate the things that were created by the uneducated but skillful people then . We are the once polluting the rivers, with Plastic technology we increased pollution and non usable land. How are we building a better planet ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    We are to be blamed for causes of Global warming , Nuclear weapons inventions which have created a threat to all living creatures on our planet Earth. What have engineers as human beings brought into the system to maintain ecological balance of our planet ?

Before I would Proceed, I would like to draw your attention towards this,

> Nuclear Weapons were made for the safety of people, and yes, about the ecological balance, Engineers have surely tried their best to maintain it.

As in, they have developed ways to use natural resources, they have developed ways to use renewable resource, like Solar,thermal, wind , tidal energy so as to reduce the dependence on Fossil fuels, and they could be used later.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Engineers have helped in the Bio Chemical field, by founding such medicines which has really helped in over coming many diseases and helping in building a better Immune system. Earlier diseases like Cancer were thought as Incurable, but now, with evolution of Chemo Therapy, we have successfully cured Cancer.

Engineers have developed Machines and Infrastructures, and I would like to name some, like Cars, Scooters, Crane. Even our Kitchen has got some, including Microwaves, Oven and the stove which we use daily.
    The Right brothers are an excellent example, who developed the wish of human to fly in the air, developing Air Crafts. Not only this, but in Infrastructres, Taj Mahal , Qutub Minar are some of the examples of Indian Engineering, and we can not neglect the Burj Khalifa, the recent Example by Civil Engineers.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    Before I would Proceed, I would like to draw your attention towards this,

> Nuclear Weapons were made for the safety of people, and yes, about the ecological balance, Engineers have surely tried their best to maintain it.

As in, they have developed ways to use natural resources, they have developed ways to use renewable resource, like Solar,thermal, wind , tidal energy so as to reduce the dependence on Fossil fuels, and they could be used later.
    Non renewable energy is the least used around the world , i would like to draw attention to BIOGAS , cowdung based fuel existed well before there were LPG and CNG replaced them . Fossil fuel used in plenty was for mans own comfort destroying the planet .
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    In architecture terms , we cannot recreate the things that were created by the uneducated but skillful people then . We are the once polluting the rivers, with Plastic technology we increased pollution and non usable land. How are we building a better planet ?

My dear friend, first of all, everything is invented by mistake only, when some 'Genius' is working towards inventing something else.

(The Gravitational force discovered by Newton is a sure shot example)

The people you are calling uneducated, were actually our ancestors, who developed the new ways of living and have done so much, which you are already enjoying with.
    ( Take example of this debate, which is carried online, You have computer, and internet because of them.)

If they were not there, then we all would not be debating, we would just roaming here and there in search of food like the Cave Man.

Now, you are communicating in English , which is because these were developed .

( Now one may ask how communicating is contributed by Engineers, well, Take example of Google Translator)

We can convert any sentence of any language to any other just in a fraction of seconds.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    Engineers have helped in the Bio Chemical field, by founding such medicines which has really helped in over coming many diseases and helping in building a better Immune system. Earlier diseases like Cancer were thought as Incurable, but now, with evolution of Chemo Therapy, we have successfully cured Cancer.

Engineers have developed Machines and Infrastructures, and I would like to name some, like Cars, Scooters, Crane. Even our Kitchen has got some, including Microwaves, Oven and the stove which we use daily.
    The Right brothers are an excellent example, who developed the wish of human to fly in the air, developing Air Crafts. Not only this, but in Infrastructres, Taj Mahal , Qutub Minar are some of the examples of Indian Engineering, and we can not neglect the Burj Khalifa, the recent Example by Civil Engineers.
    Still we were medicinally very advanced by using herbs , why are we using foreign medicines , all diseases can be cured by plant medicines but we have lost knowledge without harnessing it.

How have machines and infrastructure helped our planet?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    This debate is vague.
    You can't really jump into conclusion that Engineers are destroying the planet or creating a better one.There are two sides of the coin.

We, as Engineers, have learnt to use the resources which are available from nature & make our Earth a better place to live for.
    It totally depends on the person that how he/she takes this entire debate.In my personal opinion : "We are destroying & creating better Earth both simultaneously".

Homo-sapiens are greedy nasty creature, most probably due to human nature we are pre-installed with i.e. "No Satisfaction".We'll discover something unique & we will dig out every possible information on that specific invention.
    This,This is the reason why we're in the position that we are destroying the Earth (by utilising extreme amount of naturan & non-renewable resources) & at the same time discovering & making good things for the sake of mankind.(Think a life without no discoveries)
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    The development of Computers, have tremendously improved the working for humans, performing millions of calculations in just fraction of seconds have surely made our life easier. CS/IT Engineers have also worked hard in improving both Hardware and software that now we have developed Smart phones, Smart TV's and we have Touch Screens.
    The pretty much improvement is done in the gestures, now we can control our TV, Phone, with just our gestures.
    No need to mention, that Engineers have improved our security to a high extent.
    The development of Robots, is another good example of What Engineers have contributed to the society. They have developed Robots which can perform tasks like Human and even more efficiently, they have developed even dog robots, and robots which can even dance, moreover they are continuously working to bring robotics closer to Human life by searching in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    My dear friend, first of all, everything is invented by mistake only, when some 'Genius' is working towards inventing something else.

(The Gravitational force discovered by Newton is a sure shot example)

The people you are calling uneducated, were actually our ancestors, who developed the new ways of living and have done so much, which you are already enjoying with.
    ( Take example of this debate, which is carried online, You have computer, and internet because of them.)

If they were not there, then we all would not be debating, we would just roaming here and there in search of food like the Cave Man.

Now, you are communicating in English , which is because these were developed .

( Now one may ask how communicating is contributed by Engineers, well, Take example of Google Translator)

We can convert any sentence of any language to any other just in a fraction of seconds.
    Language was never a barrier of communication , Old tribes around the world have a better sign language that can be easily understood. Computers can create havoc in the planet if the components they are made from are not reused or destroyed properly.
    Every home in world does not use e-disposal right ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    Still we were medicinally very advanced by using herbs , why are we using foreign medicines , all diseases can be cured by plant medicines but we have lost knowledge without harnessing it.

How have machines and infrastructure helped our planet?

Well if you think how they haven't could you please tell me the reasons for saying so?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Engineers are building the the better world helping world to use technology to make better place.
    But its corporates who are using technology in bad way.
    I stumble upon a video of The Story of Bottled Water - YouTubeNo doubt every processing system is gem of engineering but its corporates who just want to earn money as much they can in less time and resources without bothering about waste and effect on future.

I can take another example of Deep well drilling system, which allow to drill through earth very deep. It can use for research, limited resource extraction but what is being used for : heavy crud oil extraction, too much water pumping causing lower water table and above all polluting earth right in its heart by dumping waste chemicals (because its too less expensive rather than processing it to make usable).
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    The development of Computers, have tremendously improved the working for humans, performing millions of calculations in just fraction of seconds have surely made our life easier. CS/IT Engineers have also worked hard in improving both Hardware and software that now we have developed Smart phones, Smart TV's and we have Touch Screens.
    The pretty much improvement is done in the gestures, now we can control our TV, Phone, with just our gestures.
    No need to mention, that Engineers have improved our security to a high extent.
    The development of Robots, is another good example of What Engineers have contributed to the society. They have developed Robots which can perform tasks like Human and even more efficiently, they have developed even dog robots, and robots which can even dance, moreover they are continuously working to bring robotics closer to Human life by searching in the field of Artificial Intelligence.
    AI is our own brain piece we have created to make us lazy at work , Robots are creatures who are made to follow masters orders or make the master live better.

We have not harnessed the powers of brain nature has given us rather created things that make us lazy across generations and make other animals homeless in their own planet
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    We have got Internet, which gives us Key to the world

You can find any information in just fraction of seconds, Engineers have made it possible to access any information now even through mobile devices.

You have any possible information about everything from the entire universe just in a few clicks on your finger tips..😀
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    Language was never a barrier of communication , Old tribes around the world have a better sign language that can be easily understood. Computers can create havoc in the planet if the components they are made from are not reused or destroyed properly.
    Every home in world does not use e-disposal right ?

Well, Well, Well....

We are talking of Engineers, not the homo sapiens, as common man, have only contributed in wasting the resources. And yes, e- disposal may not be in every home of India, but there are many in other countries.

Moreover in Countries like India, we have got e-garbage, I agree most of it does not get the perfect way to scrap them out, but actually it's because people are not aware, of the E-Garbage scrappers , they are the one's who just like "Kabadis" Take your E-Garbage, and pay you for that, and they are disposed in proper manner.

It's just the lack of knowledge, which have made people specially in India to dispose the E-Waste not properly which harms environment.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    ianoop
    Engineers are building the the better world helping world to use technology to make better place.
    I stumble upon a video of The Story of Bottled Water - YouTubeNo doubt every processing system is gem of engineering but its corporates who just want to earn money as much they can in less time and resources without bothering about waste and effect on future.

I can take another example of Deep well drilling system, which allow to drill through earth very deep. It can use for research, limited resource extraction but what is being used for : heavy crud oil extraction, too much water pumping causing lower water table and above all polluting earth right in its heart by dumping waste chemicals (because its too less expensive rather than processing it to make usable).
    Water in its actual form was the safest to drink , it is technology that has made water a costly resource , by reducing its footprint by adding pollution to it

Why did not engineers think of harnessing solar energy rather than fossil fuels which are low on availability ? Drilling deep rather than using available heat is not a acceptable rationale from the planet's perspective
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    Well, Well, Well....

We are talking of Engineers, not the homo sapiens, as common man, have only contributed in wasting the resources. And yes, e- disposal may not be in every home of India, but there are many in other countries.

Moreover in Countries like India, we have got e-garbage, I agree most of it does not get the perfect way to scrap them out, but actually it's because people are not aware, of the E-Garbage scrappers , they are the one's who just like "Kabadis" Take your E-Garbage, and pay you for that, and they are disposed in proper manner.

It's just the lack of knowledge, which have made people specially in India to dispose the E-Waste not properly which harms environment.
    how many homes in India know about e garbage ? we have estimated 20 billion computer users in india. How many companies are there which make e disposal possible compared to devices sold here in India
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    ianoop

I agree to this.

The Corporates and the End Users, have not utilized the ways and resources as it was to be used.
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Being an engineer myself,it may sound whimsical but I think not particularly engineers but as a whole technology is destroying our environment. Nature was at its best when it was itself. It already included what all is needed to lead a comfortable life,we would not have been needing more. But technology disturbed the balance. For eg-One can say,technology is providing us comfort,like air conditioner is considered one of the most useful creation of technology because it provides comfort in such a hot environment but if we analyze,we would know that technology itself is responsible for increasing global warming and maybe one of its product may provide relief but it will last no longer because the process is recursively destructive. We could have survived better without technology because one's aim is to live a peaceful life.

Engineer is the prime mover of technology so above writing implicitly includes them.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    Water in its actual form was the safest to drink , it is technology that has made water a costly resource , by reducing its footprint by adding pollution to it

Why did not engineers think of harnessing solar energy rather than fossil fuels which are low on availability ? Drilling deep rather than using available heat is not a acceptable rationale from the planet's perspective

I have already mentioned the point that Engineers are the only persons to develop methods to use Renewable resources, but the End users have taken it the other way.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    I agree to this.

The Corporates and the End Users, have not utilized the ways and resources as it was to be used.
    Aren't they humans , why didn't as engineers we guide them on usage when we invented or discovered them?
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    I have already mentioned the point that Engineers are the only persons to develop methods to use Renewable resources, but the End users have taken it the other way.
    You develop standard usage procedures for all your equipments , why not for their disposal , its affects to nature are made aware ? as engineers isn't that our responsibility we are missing out on ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    Aren't they humans , why didn't as engineers we guide them on usage when we invented or discovered them?
    Oh Well, It's done ever since technology started building up, but despite of this , the people are always busy in their own life, enjoying it comfortably with resources developed by Engineers, and they don't care about anything else.

#-Link-Snipped-# has already stated what I'm trying to say here.

A good example given by #-Link-Snipped-# was of the Air Conditioner, which was meant to provide cooling but excessive use, and improper ways have lead to disastrous result like production of CFC's which have contributed to Global Warming " The Ultimate Destruction to Earth"
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    There are multiple points that we aren't prepare to face , by blaming on its users for misuse ?

We are not successful for selling products that are created for betterment of environment and planet? See everyone has become money minded by leveraging the nature to its core and creating imbalance

You would not buy a Solar stove @ Rs 60,000.00 when your getting a stove at rs. 2,000.00. That's the core of the problem
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Whats In Name
    Being an engineer myself,it may sound whimsical but I think not particularly engineers but as a whole technology is destroying our environment. Nature was at its best when it was itself. It already included what all is needed to lead a comfortable life,we would not have been needing more. But technology disturbed the balance. For eg-One can say,technology is providing us comfort,like air conditioner is considered one of the most useful creation of technology because it provides comfort in such a hot environment but if we analyze,we would know that technology itself is responsible for increasing global warming and maybe one of its product may provide relief but it will last no longer because the process is recursively destructive. We could have survived better without technology because one's aim is to live a peaceful life.

Engineer is the prime mover of technology so above writing implicitly includes them.
    I agree to his point, and has presented it aptly that man is selfish creature and does not worry about the ecosystem around
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Gandalf
    how many homes in India know about e garbage ? we have estimated 20 billion computer users in india. How many companies are there which make e disposal possible compared to devices sold here in India
    Most of them are dumped from developed countries to India, like Iphone3 and 4. No no one gives a shit about it in US and there are being advertised as most end and luxurious phones.

Gandalf

My point is engineers are responsible for giving technology to world now how world used it's outside of engineers scope.
    Solar energy is definitely a marvel of engineering and science but government and corporate have to be responsible to encourage and provide it on lower cost.
    Here is #-Link-Snipped-#. (upto 100Mw capacity). In India also such kind of project are going on in Gujrat and one of them is completed CHARANKA SOLAR PARK OVERVIEW – PV MODULES & INVERTER TECHNOLOGY DETAILS OF GUJARAT SOLAR PARK PROJECTS ! | urvishdave
    Let talk how these above project are live because of support from corporates and government.
    We have lots of wasted land in Rajasthan where a layman can think that such project can be carried out.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    You develop standard usage procedures for all your equipments , why not for their disposal , its affects to nature are made aware ? as engineers isn't that our responsibility we are missing out on ?
    My dear friend, I have already said, making technological equipment was done, and then the methods of proper Re-Usage, and Disposal were also developed.

But sometimes, people are not just aware of it, or when some are, they don't actually take it seriously.

This has made me to draw your attention to the Environmental Engineers.

They are continuously working and developing ways to save our environment.

Seeing the unawareness of people towards the Reuse and disposal of E-Waste, Govt. of India has made it compulsory to teach Environmental Sciences, even in Graduation.

This has become a Need, to educate people to learn to use the resources made for them, more efficiently.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    ianoop
    My point is engineers are responsible for giving technology to world now how world used it's outside of engineers scope.

Simply what I wanted to say.
  • kamal61435
    kamal61435
    Yes I'll accept with Abhishek Rawal. The homo-sapiens made all possible discoveries to survive at that time, which lead to many needs following the quote told by Plato, "Necessity is the mother of all invention". Those homo-sapiens are the current us, the engineers. But that need led to Greed, resulting in the World Wars. I would like to share my views that creation leads to destruction and destruction leads to creation.So, it is possible say if they're creator or destroyer.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    My dear friend, I have already said, making technological equipment was done, and then the methods of proper Re-Usage, and Disposal were also developed.

But sometimes, people are not just aware of it, or when some are, they don't actually take it seriously.

This has made me to draw your attention to the Environmental Engineers.

They are continuously working and developing ways to save our environment.

Seeing the unawareness of people towards the Reuse and disposal of E-Waste, Govt. of India has made it compulsory to teach Environmental Sciences, even in Graduation.

This has become a Need, to educate people to learn to use the resources made for them, more efficiently.
    you agree to the fact that we did not made people aware of consequences of use of fossil fuels and others . and hence put our planet at threat
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Everyone - please post a summary of your views in < 3 sentences. The competition will conclude then.
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    kamal61435
    Yes I'll accept with Abhishek Rawal. The homo-sapiens made all possible discoveries to survive at that time, which lead to many needs following the quote told by Plato, "Necessity is the mother of all invention". Those homo-sapiens are the current us, the engineers. But that need led to Greed, resulting in the World Wars. I would like to share my views that creation leads to destruction and destruction leads to creation.So, it is possible say if they're creator or destroyer.
    Necessity is mother of invention is right , have we thought the ecosystem perspective of it , Yes the older cultures did and found ways to keep it in Balance and live happily
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    We as engineers need to work to protect our planet and increase the use of nature supplied articles as alternatives to harmful substances and join hands with end users and ecosystem to create a better planet henceforth
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I will try to elaborate both sides of coins in this debate, as I am bloody sure that noone will accept that Engineers are "only" destroying the planet or Engineers are "only" building the better planet.

We are in the position that we cannot return back.These discoveries & development won't stop,until we reach the time period when all resources are used,economy is shattered & we are now seriously fucked up & for the survival we have to be cannibal !

Now coming back to debate rather than thinking about consequences;

Engineers are destroying the planet ? Hell Yes!
    We Engineers are using the resources which really damages the Earth's eco-system, it doesn't matter you're Civil Engineer or Computer Engineer or Mechanical Engineer. Directly or Indirectly,We are all partners-in-crime !

Point me out any one Engineering domain where you're not going to rely on any non-renewable resources ? Aah! you might say Environmental Engineering, but in that domain too, you have to utilize the non-renewable resources.

In short, We're trapped now & there is no way out except going forward & ofcourse we know that eventually we'll be extinct because of our own deeds.

Engineers are building Earth a better place ? Sure we do, don't we ?
    Now, after being pessimist, let me be a little optimistic, We are using loads of resources & by our current state of living i.e. From naked-ass ape-man to Louis Vuitton jeans (Well I am just giving an example!) we can say that we have done a lot of progress.

Look the world around us, Isn't it better to place to live in ? I guess yes! We are making better world!

Yeah, We are using plenty amount of resources & destroying Earth (which is unintentional) but for now we can say that we are making Earth a better place.

Conclusion : For Everything worth achieving, sacrifice is must. And I think we are doing same thing.I told it before & I will spaz it again : "We are creating better planet ( Customized one ;P ) at the same time destroying it".

And as destruction rate is much more,we have to soon (I mean after some million years) suffer the consequences.

On the side note : Chill the fuck out , There's lot more to discover ! 😉
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    And the ways for proper disposal are there, but end users are the one who don't care.

As #-Link-Snipped-# said, people are just running after technology blindly (As he gave example of IPhone 4 and 5) but they just don't care about proper disposal.

Owning a luxurious phone is all they ever wanted, they simply don't care .

Most of them don't care, and even some who does, a fraction of them don't dispose E-Waste properly just because they don't think, that doing it ( As in, one will do it in millions) will cause any effect.

This is simply lack of knowledge of the End Users, and Greedy Corporates which have made the use of Engineering innovations go waste.

But the case is not like this.

The development made by Engineers in every field cannot be neglected.

From ship to Aeroplanes, for a pin used for stiching clothes, we have developed a stiching machine which can run both on mechanical and electrical energy.

Engineers have really made it possible for having what We all have now.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The competition is now officially over. The responses after this post won't be considered as a part of competition.

Thank you to all the participants!.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Engineers have surely contributed to the World by development in the areas like Mechanical , Automation, Civil, Computers, Bio Chemical, and many others, we cannot simply neglect it. What we all have today, is because of Engineers.
    Thank You
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Gandalf
    you agree to the fact that we did not made people aware of consequences of use of fossil fuels and others . and hence put our planet at threat
    We did, but how many times an engineer will tell world that if you use your own luxurious car rather than car pooling or office cab, your grandson only study about crud oil in history book.
    Thing is, as a general person, if I have money and am seeing a Audi car add 10 times a day. I tend to think, Man this is life this is luxury. I should have it. people get impress if I will use it to go to office. Now this time without thinking that I am being a bit part of destruction that I am consuming extra fuel which should have been avoided.
    Now if I have money and wanted luxury car I should buy#-Link-Snipped-#(A fully electric and luxury car) rather than Audi. (Electricity consumption is second point).

Problem is we only think about future until it gets to bottleneck.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    ianoop
    We did, but how many times an engineer will tell world that if you use your own luxurious car rather than car pooling or office cab, your grandson only study about crud oil in history book.
    Thing is, as a general person, if I have money and am seeing a Audi car add 10 times a day. I tend to think, Man this is life this is luxury. I should have it. people get impress if I will use it to go to office. Now this time without thinking that I am being a bit part of destruction that I am consuming extra fuel which should have been avoided.
    Now if I have money and wanted luxury car I should buy#-Link-Snipped-#(A fully electric and luxury car) rather than Audi. (Electricity consumption is second point).

Problem is we only think about future until it gets to bottleneck.
    I completely Agree to You.

Even in College students, the use of Smartphones (High End One's) make me think like we are kind of having competition of having most luxurious phones, despite of our needs.

Mahatma Gandhi Rightly Said (Quoting this as debate is over now)

"There's enough for everybody's need and not for anybodys greed "
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Why not use public transport instead , why do we see false prestige when our motive is just transport from one place to other.

Luxury and excessive availability have increased it, If engineers would have promoted Modal S Tesla as they made AUDI brand popular by making its features, luxury and comfortableness to drive so popular.

Social Viral can easily do it, if all engineers even in our country india join hands , since we are one of the largest engineering community in the world today
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    To conclude,I would say yes eñgineers are destroying our planet.Oh sorry they already did.Its totally impossible to revert back.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    Why not use public transport instead , why do we see false prestige when our motive is just transport from one place to other.

Luxury and excessive availability have increased it, If engineers would have promoted Modal S Tesla as they made AUDI brand popular by making its features, luxury and comfortableness to drive so popular.

Social Viral can easily do it, if all engineers even in our country india join hands , since we are one of the largest engineering community in the world today

Yes, the use of Public transport should be done.. 😀
  • Gandalf
    Gandalf
    Sanyam Khurana
    I completely Agree to You.

Even in College students, the use of Smartphones (High End One's) make me think like we are kind of having competition of having most luxurious phones, despite of our needs.

Mahatma Gandhi Rightly Said (Quoting this as debate is over now)

"There's enough for everybody's need and not for anybodys greed "
    And i will add top it since engineer is greedy , he creates and innovates things that do not justify their usefulness for Humans , ecosystem and planet as a whole
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Gandalf
    And i will add top it since engineer is greedy , he creates and innovates things that do not justify their usefulness for Humans , ecosystem and planet as a whole

Ohh, I Can't agree with you at this point, developing something is one thing, but cost is another factor, if certain material is used, cost are raised (Not by Engineers but by the greedy Company)

And developing more powerful products simply means Engineers innovate more.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's the topic of CE Weekend Discussion #3 - Are engineers destroying our planet or building a better one?​ ​Schedule: Sunday, 12 May, 2013 | Time : 3 - 4...
i have made a java program to read a file which contains chinese characters now i want to insert these chinese characters in database mysql ,i have allready made a...
Suppose i want to use the service provided by any enterprise application. If i create a client application that will send the request to the server on every millisecond then...
Opera's latest strategic move consists of partnering with seven Indian OEMs to bring its web browser - Opera Mini pre-installed in the Android devices they manufacture. These mobile manufacturers include...
Celkon, the India OEM has brought for us its all new - the Celkon A119Q Signature HD, an Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) running smartphone. One can't help but notice the...