Are DVDs Dying? Windows 8 Drops DVD Playback Support!

Claiming that the use of DVDs is on decline on personal computers for playback, Microsoft's Windows 8 engineering team has decided to drop the support for DVD playback. Those who still want it will have to separately purchase Media Center or rely on third party DVD playback software. In addition to dolby digital playback codec, Windows 8 will support H.264, VC-1, MP4, AAC, WMA, MP3, PCM formats and says that the focus of Windows 8 will be online media.

I'm quite sure that this is going to be a 'huge' thing. Windows commands over 80% of desktop share (not aware of the latest figures) and Windows 8 is only going to push it forward. That means, DVDs will have a hard time to struggle!

I believe the Optical Media itself is on the verge of dying. CDs are Dead, DVDs will die in next 2-3 years, 'Cloud storage' will emerge! What say you?

Replies

• Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    PS : Yes Floppies dead, CDs dead, DVDs are dying. Not only to computers, even to televisions, Cars, I'm not able find CD players, DVD players anywhere these days. Everybody is using LCDs, LEDs with pen drive access.
    DVDs gonna die for sure. And What is the future of pen drives?

I wonder Why WIndows 8 ignored DVD support. May be they are seeing the future.

Sorry for posting PS first and my view next ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    True. Now-a-days even 8 or 16 GB pen-drives fail to suffice our needs. DVDs are long gone.
    Cloud is the present and the future is unpredictable.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Time for:
    [โ€‹IMG]๐Ÿ˜›
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    #-Link-Snipped-# - ha ha. Nice one ๐Ÿ˜
    Clouds in clouds ๐Ÿ‘
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    But there are *lot of* disadvantages associated with cloud computing. First, you don't have the ownership of the data stored in someone else's cloud. If you put your top secret research paper in Google Drive, you might just find that Google has published it online and you can't argue; because their terms and conditions say so.

Then the next trouble is when the cloud fails! Your sensitive data is zapped and you can't do a thing about it unless you've backup copies on your local machines. There are techniques being developed to tackle this problem and I think it's called 'Distributed' cloud; where multiple copies of your files are stored on geographically separated computers so that the risk of damage is minimum.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The_Big_K
    But there are *lot of* disadvantages associated with cloud computing. First, you don't have the ownership of the data stored in someone else's cloud. If you put your top secret research paper in Google Drive, you might just find that Google has published it online and you can't argue; because their terms and conditions say so.

Then the next trouble is when the cloud fails! Your sensitive data is zapped and you can't do a thing about it unless you've backup copies on your local machines. There are techniques being developed to tackle this problem and I think it's called 'Distributed' cloud; where multiple copies of your files are stored on geographically separated computers so that the risk of damage is minimum.
    Right. For secure date right now, we have to go for 50 GB+ pen drives only.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    AbraKaDabra
    Right. For secure date right now, we have to go for 50 GB+ pen drives only.
    Or External Hard disks ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've been stumbling upon the term 'Liquid Metal' many times these days and found out that it's a new alloy on the block that's finding growing applications in electronics, gadgets,...
Jolivi.com is your online shoppe for all things kitchen. The online store stuffs everything from Cookware, Dinnerware to Barware and storage boxes. Looks like the store is offering discounts on...
Railroads are the best and most fuel efficient way to transport goods over land and the engineers at GE Global Research are using cutting edge science to improve the efficiency...
Joshua Topolsky interviews Ford CEO Alan Mulally where they talk about Alan Mulally's time at Boeing, new alternative energy sources, and how space exploration inspired Mulally to become an engineer....
Hi Dears, Good Day I have a doubt in basic electrical/electronics engineering. My Question is Does the current depends upon the load resistance ? For example I am going to...