Are buildings today 'Future Proof'?

This question has been lingering in my mind from last night. We've turned into insane humans who do anything for money. All the areas around our world (be it a small village, town or city) are being 'developed' each and every day. Imagine a scenario in 2090 where all the buildings we've built now turn out to be 'utter waste'. We can't say that this wouldn't happen because the past has taught us that any structure (other than those structures we consider to be wonders of the world) do not last for more than 100 years (I'm talking about 80% of the time).

Do you think that introducing a greener approach towards structures and buildings can help to ensure that they become future proof?

Looking towards great ideas here.

P.S.: Inspired by Nat Geo Videos

Replies

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    @anoopthefriend - You are absolutely right.
    But we can't say its a "utter waste". Because without the Initial invention, we can't get an advanced version. Similar like Motorola DynaTac to Iphone 5s.
    The updation will depend on our needs and natural resources. for example, Now in 2013 the population density in chennai is 26,702/km2. We are living in 800Sq.ft flats. If you gone backward the population density in chennai @ 1950 it may be 500/km2. And also at that period they have sufficient natural resources like sand, lime, wood etc. They built a family house like a palace more than 10000Sq.ft.

So, In 2090 the population density will reach 75000+, and also very difficult to get the natural resources like water, power, land etc. Then we will find other solutions like creating eco-friendly buildings. All the existing will be renovate to new eco friendly buildings.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    KSS manian
    @anoopthefriend - You are absolutely right.
    But we can't say its a "utter waste". Because without the Initial invention, we can't get an advanced version. Similar like Motorola DynaTac to Iphone 5s.
    The updation will depend on our needs and natural resources. for example, Now in 2013 the population density in chennai is 26,702/km2. We are living in 800Sq.ft flats. If you gone backward the population density in chennai @ 1950 it may be 500/km2. And also at that period they have sufficient natural resources like sand, lime, wood etc. They built a family house like a palace more than 10000Sq.ft.

So, In 2090 the population density will reach 75000+, and also very difficult to get the natural resources like water, power, land etc. Then we will find other solutions like creating eco-friendly buildings. All the existing will be renovate to new eco friendly buildings.
    I agree to all that you've said. But why wait till 2090 to create eco-friendly buildings when you can do it now?

I seriously doubt the amount of waste the Metropolitan cities would have at 2090. All metropolitan cities of India are 'overcrowded' now-a-days. If there's no solution now, I don't believe a solution will just 'blossom' in the year 2090. A step by step process is needed here.

P.S.: Seriously, if the land keeps getting filled with structures, etc, the future generations may invent living in atmosphere like floating building, etc.

By the way, what do you think about this:

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    Sorry i cant view any videos here.
    Upgradation is the tedious task, which we really required to leave a some natural resources to our grantchildrens. One by one of five primordial elements are reducing now. Still people are having lack of knowledge in eco friendly building.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Automaker BMW has silently rolled out a limited 'Design Edition' variant of its flagship vehicle X6 M, the count being just 100 units globally. This limited edition BMW X6 M...
Spotliter is a new app for iPhone and iPad that let's you add interesting effects to your videos while they are being shot. Yes. Spotliter app for iOS is developed...
NASA’s PhoneSat project has successfully managed to communicate back to mission control at Clara University in California. The PhoneSat 2.4 was developed at NASA’s Ames Research Center and was sent...
Guys am looking for this ASM Hand Book on Copper & Copper Alloys By Joseph Davis...for my research.. Please help in finding the same... May be the link of ebook...
how to configure Ultrasonic flow meter, to get its adequate strength. We are using Automation Progetti model no. AP1090+AP5190