Applications of self-assembling robots?

We aren't new to self assembling robots. MIT's M-Blocks robots are cuboid robots that can attach themselves to each other and form a functional body. The robots themselves remind me of the Terminator 2 movie in which machines deforms and then reforms on its own. I was wondering if there are an interesting applications of self assembling robots? What are the most important or interesting situations in which we'd want the robots to be able to assemble themselves on the spot?

Also, what are the features you'd like self-assembling robots to have that'd make them more useful and functional?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    .It can be used in earthquake prone areas where if any destruction happens it can infiltrate through small holes and assemble themselves and give us data.Correct me if i am wrong.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    One best application would be that of a "multipurpose machine".

it is something like this : consider a car, disintegrating into cubes, and then all the cubes re-assembling to form a 600cc motorbike.

so something like an industrial robot which in one form can perform welding in one area, and inspection in another area, in a different form .
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    zaveri
    One best application would be that of a "multipurpose machine".

it is something like this : consider a car, disintegrating into cubes, and then all the cubes re-assembling to form a 600cc motorbike.

so something like an industrial robot which in one form can perform welding in one area, and inspection in another area, in a different form .
    This makes me think about the future of nano technologies applications in various fields: Especially Nanobots

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey some days before i read a post in which a idea for mobile charging by pressing it is given i want to modify that idea. Now a days mobiles...
Today our CEan @Saandeep Sreerambatla is celebrating his birthday. 🎉 Wish you Many Many Happy Returns of the Day @Saandeep Sreerambatla aka ES. 😁 Have a rocking year ahead buddy.​
I had planned to buy a 3.5mm headphone/earphone splitter so that me and my friends can enjoy the best in class audio experience and I found Belkin 3.5mm headphone/earphone splitter...
We all know that day by day new technologies are evolving and old systems and methods were replaced by new technologies,methods.I want to know , how many of you are...
A few days ago i had baught an usb hub with 4 usb slots . Whenever i used my net setter in that hub it doesnt work reporting error '...