Apple’s New MacBook With Retina Display Specs And Features Out At Launch Event

The much anticipated and greatly scrutinized conference by Apple on 9th March wasn’t just about the new Apple Watch. Along with the watch, Apple also unveiled the new thin MacBook with a 12-inch display. It is just plain and simple Macbook now without any adjunct. The device is thinner and lighter than even Apple’s lightest MacBook Air. Let us look at the specs in details.

As mentioned above, the device has display size of 12 inches (2304x1440 pixels) which is 1 inch more than MacBook Air, but it is only 13.1 mm thick and weighs a mere 2 pounds (0.9 kg )which makes it even thinner and lighter than the Air counterpart. Most of the credit for the decreased thickness goes to the keyboard which has individual LED lighting for each key. The keyboard spans the complete width of the device and according to Apple, it has a ‘meticulous’ typing experience thanks to the new ‘butterfly mechanism’.

apple_macbook

Apple’s MacBook is one of the few devices that will come with the reversible USB-C Type connector, thus increasing the anticipation of its availability. The motherboard or the logic board as Apple likes to call it is about 67 percent smaller in size than Apple’s previous laptops. The laptop won’t have any fan within it thanks to Intel's Core M Broadwell CPU. With a resolution so high, the most natural concern is the battery of the device but Apple claims that it isn’t an issue of worry because the battery can last as long as to support 9 hours of web browsing and 10 hours of playback time. Not only that, Apple also assured that Apple will consume 30 percent less power than its previous displays.

One other eye-catching aspect of MacBook is that the touchpad has been ‘repaired’ so to say. It no longer has clicks. On the four corners of the touchpad are four pressure sensitivity sensors which can detect when you try to ‘click’ something. These sensors also provide the cool feature. If you press harder than you’d do for a normal ‘click’, you can fast forward the videos that you are watching on the QuickTime player. Apple is calling this feature as Force Click.

apple_macbook_2

Now for the pricing and availability of the device. Apple is known to have ‘not-so-budget’ prices for their laptops and this one too doesn’t change tradition. The 256 GB memory model will cost $1,299 (Rs 81,500 approx.) and the 512 GB memory model will cost $1,599 (Rs 1 lakh approx.). The device will come in gold, silver and space grey colours and will become available from April 10th through Apple online store.
Via: New MacBook announced with 12-inch Retina display, shipping April 10th for $1,299 - The Verge
Image credits: Wired

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    For those who missed yesterday's event, you can hear Jony Ive describe the design in the video below -
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Forget Jony Ive ... compact engineering and blahh big word for easiness to customer. How the hell you are making easy for customer to give *Only* single port for charging/usb/display. So while charging you can't use USB☕.
    They have to do whatever needed to make slim, lite and something new for the product, that's it period.

I thing this guy did pretty good first hand review.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Yeah. I was pretty much baffled to find that too. Sometimes even two USB ports are not enough. 😭
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Here is the truth about new MacBook design ☕

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have submitted my experience to the State twice already with a response both times that I am not detailed enough in my experience descriptions. To avoid submitting for a...
A glance at it won't let you decide if this vehicle is a car or a bike. Taking the field of urban eco-mobility one step ahead, Organic Transit has brought...
Project Abstract / Summary : I have developed an android project that helps in displaying the RTO and Insurance details about a vehicle(Car or Motorcycle). Basically its an android application....
Most of the Android phones in India have the KitKat version of the OS on their phones and only a few have the Lollipop version. Most of those who didn’t...
Apple has unveiled a new MacBook and it's thinner than ever before. I've always wondered whether people really need thinner devices that compromise on stuff. 'Compromise' is what I call...