Apple Vs Microsoft

All of us are familiar with the two top-notch software makers Microsoft and Apple. This is what Wikipedia says about the two -

Apple Inc. is an American multinational corporation that designs and manufactures consumer electronics and computer software products. The company's best-known hardware products include Macintosh computers, the iPod, and the iPhone. Apple software includes the Mac OS X operating system, the iTunes media browser, the iLife suite of multimedia and creativity software, the iWork suite of productivity software, Final Cut Studio, a suite of professional audio and film-industry software products, and Logic Studio, a suite of audio tools.
Microsoft Corporation is a multinational computer technology corporation that develops, manufactures, licenses, and supports a wide range of software products for computing devices.[8] Headquartered in Redmond, Washington, USA, its most profitable products are the Microsoft Windows operating system and the Microsoft Office suite of productivity software
Now the question is which is better? What is your view on this?

Which one would you prefer? Which is more attractive in terms of its style, products, services or brand value?

Pour in your thoughts about the two here.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I personally think there's no comparison between the two. Microsoft is a software company as against, Apple is majorly into hardware.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Personally i am big fan of Apple no doubt microsoft provides us a marvellous product that makes our work on computer easy.If you are talking about services and brand value then i will go for microsoft
    but if you are talking abut style,product then My vote goes to Apple..hey have you ever taken a look of cover flow motion in Ipod..no words to explain that...absolutely superb...
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    The Apple is more stylish that gives it edge over other peersno doubt the products are also good

@BigK : YA maybe but still as a whole when can have a choice among the two
  • callyD
    callyD
    This is a broad question. I like Apple for their ipods and laptops. But I like Microsoft for their XBox.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    sarveshgupta
    The Apple is more stylish that gives it edge over other peersno doubt the products are also good

@BigK : YA maybe but still as a whole when can have a choice among the two
    Can you compare apples with oranges...?? which is more tastier ??

Comparision should always happen in two allike categories.

-CB
  • gohm
    gohm
    Well in the broad general sense you purpose I don't think you can say one is better then the other unless you define better in/at what. I prefer Apple because I have an irrational dislike of Microsoft due to business tactics. Strong arming the IT industry for dominance control & also creating sub par products for end users requiring constant updates/patches/support.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Gohm, even Applie does the strong arming. With iTunes and iPod, with iStore, with macintosh. Just because MS does it with a crappier product (IE) doesnt mean Apple doesnt do it. Safari is only marginally better, and they also push that with iTunes, and the lot. In fact in this matter, both of them are comparable.

Sarvesh, choose your parameter, then the comparison can start. You should have posted which company/brand do you like more ... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    i believe Apple has stylish products. I have heard that their OS is less prone to attacks, more stable than windows and takes less time to boot, meaning a better product. i absoltely loved their touch screen too in ipod, the way you can zoom in it is awesome..no words are enough for the engineers who worked behind it.
    Thus i think APPLE Leads..
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    though normally one would say that these two are not comparable but if you evaluate them individually I would vote Apple Inc as being the greater of the two. Apple is driven more by innovation and therefore being the market leader within their scope.

Ms used to innovate and has recently forgotten how to do it. They are getting nothing new on the market. They were to launch Win mobile 7 earlier but saw that they lost their place as Google came out with (a much better mobile os than what win mobile 7 was to be) Android os and therefore MS has to lauch an intermediate 6.5 while it went back to its table in preparation of an improved Win mobile 7.
    Windows 7 for pc is also somewhat rip offs from here and there. Lots of things have been picked up from Mac OS and Linux and assembled onto Win 7.

After the success of iPhones, Ms is now planning to launch a Zune based phone. MS is falling back and is desperate to gain some ground. That was evident with their Yahoo! buyout deal. When it didnt work, they resorted to search engine partnership with them.

Ms knows cloud computing would become a big deal in years to come but it does not have any thing substantial in its kitty.

Apple has come up with its appalling iPad but it will sell enough to make out its profit cos they will be the 1st ones to come up with such a product. Also Apple fanboys will make sure iPad doesn't flop. We are yet to see the true potential of iPad and with subsequent editions of iPad getting cams and multi tasking, iPad may actually end up ruling the tablet world.

to me Apple is going strong and is riding on their slew of innovations that are upcoming. Ms has got lots to catch up.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What I do like about Microsoft are their SDKs, quite an intensive set of tools and documentation. I believe their express editions of Visual Studio was one of their smartest moves *grin*

Seems that the .NET framework is hot these days. The compact and micro versions are sure to be interesting for PDA and embedded applications.

Regarding Apple, well..I just feel their products are way over priced. But I don't mind them existing, since other manufactures will just produce cheaper (and at times better quality) alternatives as a response. So Apple fans, keep on buying their stuff ..while the rest of us reap the benefits ๐Ÿ˜›
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    They both have a new big deal, they've used to be competitors in a lot of aspects but not the main aspects till now, Google is new big deal for of them with different aspects for each company.

I think they're becoming friends more to stop Google.
  • sbscetferozpur
    sbscetferozpur
    this should be actually steav jobs vs bill gates
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    MaRo
    They both have a new big deal, they've used to be competitors in a lot of aspects but not the main aspects till now, Google is new big deal for of them with different aspects for each company.

I think they're becoming friends more to stop Google.
    Apple & Microsoft becoming friends? ๐Ÿ˜› . Anything to stop Google, huh? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    I like apple for its elegance,their product are stylish and good looking.But microsoft is making products which are easy to handle.So both are good in their respective fields.

I would like to suggest everyone here to watch "Pirates of silicon valley".Its a movie based on real story and show the making of both apple and microsoft.
    Watch it and then decide yourself.
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Classic question but I never find the "satisfying" answer until today. The best answer I have ever got is: assuming that one can afford any of both, go for Apple who has the style and nice hardware....and then install Windows in it. This will allow you to get both although you cannot run them simultaneously (please correct me if I am wrong).
    I would like to narrow the topic, if I may.....๐Ÿ˜›

Which one is better for engineers: PC or Apple? Windows or OSX? [Linux is out of the discussion because it is open source]๐Ÿ˜‰

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sms

Today I received a sms..that i would liked to share with you 38% of doctors in USA are Indians 12% Scientists in USA are Indians 36% of NASA scientists are...
share the data and information regarding automatic ups.
Im looking for a project, that i can create myself. using a 555 timer to create a low duty cycle TTL square wave to power an array of Inferred LEDS...
Every day you use some electronic gadgets like calculators,mobiles and keyboards Why is it that a calculator or a cellphone the number five has a little dot on it?? have...
Hi , I want to try for an internship this summer in some company Can some one guide me in this ? I am in 6th sem of CSE studying...