"Apple Search" - Yep, Apple Might Be Getting Ready To Eat Google's Lunch

Apple seems to be working on a 'search platform supporting hundreds of millions of users'. At least, that's what it says in one of the job positions on its job portal. Apple's looking for an engineering project manager to handle a new project, likely to be called "Apple Search". The candidate will have to operate from Apple's San Francisco office and 'play a part in revolutionizing how people use their computers and mobile devices'. Key requirements are: 10+ years of industry experience, 5+ years of experience in managing development of a hosted internet product, 5+ years of experience in recruiting engineering talent. The candidate should also be able to code in C++ or Python or Java.

Interested candidates may head over to #-Link-Snipped-# and enter "Engineering Manager, Search Relevance, Apple Search" as search term. It's quite interesting job position, if you study the job description carefully. Apple wants to innovate on the 'search relevance' and Apple Search will crawl massive amount of data on the Internet; to bring suggestions to Spotlight. While there is a chance that Apple might be getting ready to eat some of Google's lunch; it obviously knows that direct fight with Google for web-search would be quite tough one. Apple could be planning to to improve the spotlight feature so that people do not have to go to Google to search the Internet. It might also be working on improvements to Siri, which currently relies on Microsoft's Bing search engine, Yahoo and Wikipedia to gather information.

Apple-Search-Engine

Given the scale and reach of Apple's products and the ecosystem it's built, an Apple Search product is likely to affect Google's search share. In the recent times, Mozilla dropped Google as its default search engine and that could be one of the reason that Google's market share dropped from 82% to about 64% in a short period of time. With Apple making moves against Google's core business, Google is likely to suffer in coming days. Note that most of the iOS users prefer to use Safari on their iDevices - and setting the default search engine to Apple's own, would likely result into Google getting lesser queries from iOS, which is quite apparent from the analytics we have for visitors of CrazyEngineers.

All of these are speculations at this time. It might be a long time before we see what's cooking up in Tim Cook's kitchen. Do you think Apple will eventually launch its own search engine? If yes, what are your expectations from it?

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | Via: Apple may be about to take on Google with its own search engine

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    To be honest, Apple is mad doing this. Remember the time when Apple tried to include its own maps. Apple released a half-baked version and made it default for all users. This attracted a lot of criticism and even more jokes. It understandable why Apple is trying to do this, but does it have the capability to pull this off properly. Sure it has money, but what about building a nice database. Plus with Apple it’s always the hassle of region restriction. For example, Siri still cannot find places in India, something that even Cortana manages to achieve.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    There was a Pre Steve jobs era', where Apple were bets and in-comparable in the business. Whatever they did during that time was out of the league.

One of the reason was they were using their own hardware in building their empire and were less dependent on others. I have my own reservations that with 'Apple Search' they can compete with THE GIANT Google.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A lot of businesses are adopting whatsapp to do business. In the last 2 months, I've had at least 3 people asked me for my 'whatsapp number' (that's regular phone...
i am using sinaprog with atmel studio 6.2 and using atmega 8535 whenever i connect the usb in my pc it shows "can't find programmer" but whenever it is connected...
Breaking barriers and limits to the reach, a team of researchers from University College London (UCL) have come up with a method that could process fibre optic signals such that...
Popular consumer battery manufacturer, Energizer has announced their new range of AA and AAA batteries which are made out of recycled batteries. The Energizer EcoAdvanced battery is the world’s first...
Multinational semiconductor and software designer company, ARM Holdings plc (ARM) has announced a premium mobile IP suite for enhancing the experience of the smartphone users. The suite consists of new...