anybody solved the question with detailed answer

Suppose the cache and main memory access times are 100 ns and 1200 ns respectively. The cache is used for paging and the hit ratio of finding the page table entry in the cache is 98%, what is the effective paged memory access time?

(A) 240 ns (B) 220 ns(C) 250 ns (D) 1200 ns

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I am getting 124nm by fomula: tav= h * tc + (1 - h)*(tc + tm)
    H is hit ratio: 98%=0.98
    Tc=100ns, Tm=1200nm
    you sure about hit ratio:98%
    if its 90% then we get 220ns , one of above answer.
    Reason: If data is found only in cache then only tc will count otherwise we need to access main memory and hence (Tc+Tm).
  • nareshkumar6539
    nareshkumar6539
    I think that is not correct formula for effective paged memory access time

Teff= h(c+m)+(1-h)(c+2m)
    c+m means to check frame number avilable in cache it will take c sec if avilable to access that frame number it will take m sec.total it will take c+m
    c+2m means to check page number available in cache it will take c sec if it is not there it will check in page table for this it will take m sec and to access that frame number it will take m sec
    total it will take c+2m
    according to this formula i am getting 1324ns
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    hmm... its right.I misunderstood the question I think.
    your fomula is for accessing actual memory acces time:
    by your formula:
    pointer go to page memory and then using page pointer it will access the actual memory.

by my formula :
    It only getting time taken to find page pointer time (or actual memory access without paging).I thought you are asking only for page pointer access.😳
    #-Link-Snipped-#😀
  • qwerty123
    qwerty123
    Suppose the cache and main memory access times are 100 ns and 1200 ns respectively. The cache is used for paging and the hit ratio of finding the page table entry in the cache is 98%, what is the effective paged memory access time?

(A) 240 ns (B) 220 ns(C) 250 ns (D) 1200 ns
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    See this thread already discussed:

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi CE, I'm a postgraduate software engineering student in anna university trichy.further i want to do pusue research(ph.d) in reputed institution like iit, nits.i will prepare a entrance eamination. so...
Mohan NaikCan i get IS:6248IS: 6248 (SPECIFICATION FOR METAL ROLLING SHUTTERS AND ROLLING GRILLS) is attached herewith.
CEans, I was going through the current status of the survey responses and was totally amazed to see the detailed feedback you've posted. Many of you have provided very valuable...
Hi, anyone seen/remember? Every old scooters had a control switch which was normal mode and reserve mode. When the fuel inside a tank gets verymuch exhausted or decreased. We need...
apart from good academic background ,what else does a company needs from a student??? like finishing certificate courses,internship,paper presentations,etc...if so please list them so that i can do everything as...