Any guitarist here??

I am thinking of taking guitar lessons. I play a little, but nothing worth listening to. I don't have a guitar as of now, so I would like help with purchasing one.

I'll be buying a nylon string guitar (steel strings hurt too damn much). Any suggestions on what should I buy. I'll be buying it from Delhi, so if anyone can give me an idea as to where should I purchase it from and the expected cost, it'll be swell!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You sure you want a nylon string guitar? It's actually called a classical guitar and you'll have to play it using your finger nails.

But if you've fixed your mind on a nylon string guitar, go with Yamaha C-40 model; should cost you around INR 6k-7k [not at all sure of prices in Delhi ๐Ÿ˜€ ]

Happy Guitaring!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    The_Big_K
    You sure you want a nylon string guitar? It's actually called a classical guitar and you'll have to play it using your finger nails...
    Can't I use a pick to play it?? As I said I'm a n00b, so I don't really have a lot of idea. I read about this in a website (that new players should buy nylon string guitars). The last time I started learning the guitar, my fingers used to hurt a lot!!

I can change the strings to steel ones, once i get the hang of it!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, let me explain -

Nylon string guitar is different from the normal steel-string guitar. Nylon string guitar is played with fingernails and it's an altogether different style of playing it. Even the construction of nylon string guitar is different. The fret-board is wider and the strings are placed bit farther from each other. In order to play the classical guitar, you'll have to hold it in a different position. Normally ( ๐Ÿ˜€ ) you won't use a pick to play the nylon string guitar.

The regular guitar {as we'll call it} will have steel strings and may have different models. Steel strings don't hurt - trust me. Assuming you play right handed, the right hand fingers are only used to press the strings over the frets. You will pluck the strings using your left hand with a pick [plectrum].

If you are complete newbie, I'd say go ahead with the steel string guitar. Nylon string guitar is 100 times more difficult to play. So begin with the regular guitar and once you are ready for the classical one; go ahead with it.

Oh, it's going to require lot of patience. Remember "Played it till my fingers bled..." ๐Ÿ˜€ . There's no other way, unfortunately.

Update: Look here for various positions: https://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/sitting.htm
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Thanks for the info!! I'll go in for a steel string. Any suggestions as to which guitar should I buy?? And what to look for in a guitar before buying?? Like areas which are most likely to have defects..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I firmly believe that a beginner should go with a basic f-cut model of medium size. If not, just hold the guitar in playing position and find out how comfortable you are with it. Go with the one that's most comfortable to you.

Check for the distance between the strings & the freboard. Can you press the strings over the frets easily? Can you play the higher notes effortlessly?

Also, check if the arm of the guitar is straight.

Rest of the tips - over to CEan - Gohm ๐Ÿ˜€
  • skipper
    skipper
    Another tip: use light or extra light gauge strings, and lower the string height if you can by adjusting the bridge. The last will depend on how the guitar is built, and it's probably best to get a shop to modify it and set up the action.

If you start out with normal gauge steel strings which usually means only the B and E treble strings are plain, the rest are wound, your fingers take longer to toughen up. Light strings are easier to fret. Also get some fretboard lube (there are silicon products to ease up those slides), practise a lot and after a few weeks the ends of your fretting fingers will have callouses.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Thanks for the tips!! I'll keep them in mind..
  • gohm
    gohm
    yeah, start out with an economical basic guitar. You can invest in an expensive high quality one later when your skills can take advantage of the better quality and you know you will continue playing. Either variety of guitar is good as you probably do not know yet what style of music you will enjoy playing. practice, practice, practice. Start with open chords, basic scales and strumming technique. Lessons will help you learn faster and avoid picking up bad habits. It is an easy instrument to learn, hard to master.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Once I am proficient enough, I'd probably start playing classic rock, metal. Like floyd, sabbath, priest, clapton, megadeth,etc..

PS - There's a (legally) free alternative to guitar pro, its called tuxguitar. you can play gp3,gp4 and gp5 files on it. It works on windows, linux, mac, bsd..heck, you don't even have to download it..you can use it online (through java)!!
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    :$ Renewed my interest in purchasing one of my own. A hobby! I was told to get one :! Apparently, surfing the net, spending time on CE, FB and watching movies and various other programmes aren't hobbies ? In all honesty, I do love love love my music this would be the perfect way to keep that passion alive. I shall check out a few stores myself, and hopefully take a friend along.. as I am a complete novice. I don't want an overeager sales person to sell me an electric guitar which I cannot house or play with, but would be persuaded to buy for the aesthetics and general cool factor :$
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    @black_rose

what kind of music do you play (or are gonna play)??
  • sandy1988
    sandy1988
    Hello guys.... I am learning guitar since last year ...
    Ask me if you have doubts...I am not a master yet but can help you..... ๐Ÿ˜Ž
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sandy1988
    Hello guys.... I am learning guitar since last year ...
    Ask me if you have doubts...I am not a master yet but can help you..... ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Appearing for Trinity Certification?

I'm taking the Grade III exam.
  • sandy1988
    sandy1988
    I dont know about any certification ...
    Please inform me about it ...
    my email ID is : < we won't email you>
    thanks in advance .. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why do you want us to contact you through email? Post everything here on forums and everyone benefits from the discussions.

Check out Trinity College Certifications in Rock Guitar.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I would like do a mini projects in robotics with low cost... Can any one suggest me....
I have to develop a project in Computer graphics in c language. anyone suggest a good project for this ?
Common questions around pressure into energy conversion answered in simple to understand language.
This is an article I completed yesterday. It is to be published in a magazine. Thought I would share with all of you and add it to the "Inside It"...
Hi i need help to get details for my seminar on motorator. Pls help thanks