ansys or unigraphix??

i am learning catia software, i also want to another software but can't decide between ansys and unigraphix. Please help me make the choice. The applications of both the softwares in industrial as well as research fields??

Replies

• Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    ANSYS is not a modeling s/w like cata. It is finite element analysis code. UG is a modeling s/w
  • sandeepan_ME
    sandeepan_ME
    thank u
    can u tell me the applications of both these softwares in industrial and research fields
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I am also learning CATIA software. I have observed that analysis in CATIA is only limited to linear applications while we can use ansys in both linear and non linear applications. But CATIA is basically a designing software and utilizes ABACUS for non-linear analysis.

I do not know anything about UniGraphics.
  • Capt Spark
    Capt Spark
    Catia and UG are specifically modeling softwares. They are used to model any (3D usually) structure for further analysis as a CAD part. Some modeling softwares may be havving very very basic solving / analysis modules, but people usually don't depend on them. After the CAD modeling is complete, the model is imported in Finite Element softwares like Ansys / Patran/ Abaqus for accurate analysis and post-processing.
    As an example, if I have a 3D beam, I would model it as a CAD part in UG, then import it in ANSYS, will do the meshing (i.e making elements and nodes) in ANSYS. Then apply loads, boundary conditions and solve the problem using ANSYS solver itself. Then see and post-process the result in ANSYS too.
    Several industries use UG and ANSYS for analysis of components. Some examples are aircraft (engines) component analysis, wind energy, some automobile sectors etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey friends i just started a project on designing and analysis of shell and tube type tubular heat exchanger and need a help on that what type of data i...
hie dis s sravani...entering into final year now...can someone suggest me any ideas for doing my project...my area of interest s data base..
I've done B.tech in Electrical & Electronics from a small unreputed college and only software companies come for recruitment. I want to know that which sector job will give me...
Is it a myth or reality to construct eco friendly, economical buildings with sustainable construction practice. Should strength be the criteria or durability. Kindly inform the best practices adopted elsewhere.
Hi all, I'm experiencing a difficulty understanding how the trapezoidal loads are distributed and how to shear moment diagrams are drawn for structural members subjected to trapezoidal loading. For example...